Yulong's new flagship amp A18
Apr 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 94

Quote:
Ok, silver A18 on the way to match my D18. I've also got some balanced cables coming so I can get the full effect with my HiFiMAN headphones. Currently have the HE400 and borrowing an HE500 so I can try those both balanced and single ended to see what the different favors are all about.
I'm actually pretty excited to have a (hopefully) reference level setup made up of Yulong gear. We will see how it stacks up against heavy hitters like Violectric.

Looking forward to your impressions. Would it be possible to do a head-to-head Violectric vs Yulong? These are my 2 finalists. If I recall, you said the D18 had a bit of coloration to it's presentation. Do you own a pair of LCD-2s? Would like to hear how the A18/D18 combo sounds with those as I own a pair.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 94
Quote:
Ok, silver A18 on the way to match my D18. I've also got some balanced cables coming so I can get the full effect with my HiFiMAN headphones. Currently have the HE400 and borrowing an HE500 so I can try those both balanced and single ended to see what the different favors are all about.
I'm actually pretty excited to have a (hopefully) reference level setup made up of Yulong gear. We will see how it stacks up against heavy hitters like Violectric.

Looking forward to your impressions. Would it be possible to do a head-to-head Violectric vs Yulong? These are my 2 finalists. If I recall, you said the D18 had a bit of coloration to it's presentation. Do you own a pair of LCD-2s? Would like to hear how the A18/D18 combo sounds with those as I own a pair.

Yep, I'll compare each amp as fed by the D18 as well as the V800 DACs. The D18 does in fact have a smooth, warm tone to it that is unique among Sabre based DACs I've encountered.

I can probably borrow some LCD-2s to play with as well.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 94

Quote:
As soon as the tax business is settled I'm picking one up from Tam :D

Wow, posted your Quattro for sale and everything. Taking a big chance that the A18 will be great! Though it's not much of a risk.... Yulong has yet to disappoint with any of their gear. 

I just got the Quattro system back from the loaner tour of America. I forgot how much better it is in balanced mode than single ended. Hopefully the A18 is even better still. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 94

Quote:
Wow, posted your Quattro for sale and everything. Taking a big chance that the A18 will be great! Though it's not much of a risk.... Yulong has yet to disappoint with any of their gear. 

I just got the Quattro system back from the loaner tour of America. I forgot how much better it is in balanced mode than single ended. Hopefully the A18 is even better still. 

i just can't afford to have more than one set of amp around at this time of my life :p. I know it's a risk to take, and Quattro has been working wonderfully well for me...Let me just wait for your review first heehee :D

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 94
Just got my A18/D18 set up today.  Currently listening with Grado RS 1's.  My Audeze LCD 2's are expected back from repair in a few days.  Sounds good so far with the Grado's.  I will post my thoughts in a few days after I have had a chance to listen with the LCD 2's as well as the Grados.

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 94

Quote:
Yes, very nice in a sort of industrial way. Interesting that the light on the power button is green rather than matching blue.
I'm assuming mine will arrive Monday, and I'll soon have some balanced hifiman cables to pair with it later in the week. Should be fun.

I think I would have prefered a matching blue color for the power light but regardless it should look good during the Christmas season.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #27 of 94
Quote:
Yes, very nice in a sort of industrial way. Interesting that the light on the power button is green rather than matching blue.
I'm assuming mine will arrive Monday, and I'll soon have some balanced hifiman cables to pair with it later in the week. Should be fun.

I think I would have prefered a matching blue color for the power light but regardless it should look good during the Christmas season.

Funny!

By the way, what Grados are you currently using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back