Yulong's new flagship amp A18
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #31 of 94
I checked out the 2L "Test Bench".  Nice.  Thanks.

No problem. That's the best place I know of for free hi-res downloads of very well recorded music. Music that I actually enjoy too!

You practically get the whole "sampler" album that they at one point sold for over $20. Very generous of them to give it away like that, especially in the various formats.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #32 of 94
project86, I'm ( and others I suppose ) waiting with impatience of your impressions report  of "Yulong sweet pair" compared to Violectric gears :) Also it's interesting to compare A18 with an Anedio D2's amplification module.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #33 of 94

Quote:
project86, I'm ( and others I suppose ) waiting with impatience of your impressions report  of "Yulong sweet pair" compared to Violectric gears :) Also it's interesting to compare A18 with an Anedio D2's amplification module.

Quick, off the top of my head thoughts, based on my limited time with the Yulong flagship combo.

The Anedio is the cleanest, most linear, totally accurate sound. The Yulong Sabre pair is all about warmth, dynamics, massive soundstage, and ultra smooth top end. The Violectric pair splits the middle somewhat - I think the V800 DAC is closer to the Anedio, and the V200 amp has more in common with the Yulong sound. 

All three of these are top level competitors, and I wouldn't argue with anyone who preferred one over the other. That's high praise for Yulong in company such as this. 

I really think the A18 has a lot in common with the V200, sound wise. Very smooth treble that retains lots of detail, and a nice warmth that makes everything sound great. The A18 takes it a little farther than the Violectric though, which some people may like and some may not. V200 has more power, though the A18 will handle nearly everything except maybe the HE6. A18 does seem to have a larger soundstage presentation, even in single ended mode. I'm still waiting on some cables to test balanced output, which should make it even more expansive. The people I've heard from who didn't ultimately love the V200 mostly took issue with the soundstage presentation, which is good but not massive. So this Yulong A18 may be a good alternative for folks who value that aspect highly. 

That's it for now, more to come when I have more hours logged. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 94
Waiting for Project's review, I thought I had narrowed my search to this and the V200. Enter a new challenger in the form of the Auditor! Will need to ask around on that thread to see if there are any LCD-2/Edition 8 owners, but I'm intrigued. I will be running my MK I D100 for the foreseeable future as my DAC, regardless of which amp I choose. Balanced capability of the A18 could be useful if I decide to get balanced cables for my LCD-2s. I'm ready to spend some cash, but I can't make a move until I hear what Project thinks of the A18. His opinion is well-respected for a reason. Have a good weekend everyone

May 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #35 of 94
I dont even try to pretent to be any kind of authority on audio but;  I just recieved my balanced cables for my LCD 2's, to go with the A18 & D18.  Wow!!!,....what a  nice combo!!  I am impressed that, despite the tripple warm combo, there remaines great dynamics, and authority and detail.  If I focus, I feel headphones on my head, otherwise, I hear a world of music around me.  This combonationtion certainly hits "MY" sweet spot.  Warm with detail, snap, and defintion (especially in the lower mid Bass).    My LCD 2's sing as loud as I can handle and, at worst, only ask for more, with this amp.  This como does not get progressivly muddy.  Warm and musical but with all the detail remaining, if that makes any sense???.  This set up makes me melt, and lets me know "exactly" why I am melting.  Not for "ALL", I am sure, but perfect for myself.

May 1, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #36 of 94
I know this is not an easy question to answer, but I'm asking anyways.

I recently got the D100 MKII, which i like very much so far to  drive my HD 600. But now I'm looking into getting a better amp. The question therefore is, if I shall go for the A18 Sabre?
Other options would be a tube amp,  like the la figaro 339, which is currently on top of my list. 

May 1, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #38 of 94
Thx for the input. Atm I actually dont want to sell my D100 because I need the DAC anyway. So I hope project86 will drop in with his advice, which I would really appreciate.

Another point of course is, if I should go for a balanced setup from the dac to the amp, which would be possible with the A18 but not with the la figaro 339. The headphone are not balanced atm. 

May 1, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #39 of 94
Currently listening to Ottmar Liebert Binaural recording from HD tracks.  Amazing, regardless of setup.  Try it!  Entire room lights up.  I have to keep checking to make sure my speakers are not playing!  Where did the headphones go?

May 1, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #40 of 94

Quote:
Thx for the input. Atm I actually dont want to sell my D100 because I need the DAC anyway. So I hope project86 will drop in with his advice, which I would really appreciate.

Another point of course is, if I should go for a balanced setup from the dac to the amp, which would be possible with the A18 but not with the la figaro 339. The headphone are not balanced atm. 

Project86, I am sure, will give the best "perspective" on the A18. " I" can say that it is a great amp compared to others I have encounterd in my limited repertoire.  Check my profile for reference. 

May 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #41 of 94
I have not heard the La Figaro 339, but did own a DarkVoice 337SE for several years. Not exactly the same thing, I know. I think the A18 is a better amp than the 337SE overall. 

I have noticed one thing that maybe some of you other folks can try for yourselves - when running a balanced headphone out with single ended inputs, the top end seems veiled. I currently have my D100 MKII feeding both XLR and RCA into the A18. Using the rear panel switch to go back and forth between balanced and single ended input, there is a large difference in favor of the balanced input. I confirmed by swapping the MKII for the D18 DAC and the Violectric V800 since they all have XLR and RCA outs. Similar results all around. So just because you CAN use balanced headphone out with a non-balanced system, it seems like maybe you shouldn't.... until you get a balanced source as well. 

I need to test more with single ended headphone output to see how that is affected by balanced or single ended inputs. I did some listening when I first got it, through single ended inputs, and it didn't strike me as recessed. I've experienced amps that do their best by sticking with the same input and output types, thus avoiding any phase splitter conversions. Perhaps this is one of those amps. 

May 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #42 of 94
Project 86,

I am VERY interested in your review of this combo. I have a pair of balanced Beyer T1's that are great. I have the Yulong combo on the top of my list currently. Others I am considering is the Woo WA-22 or a Violectric combo as by "word of mouth" from trusted friends,Violectric is very good with these German beauties. If you by chance have a pair of T1's, balanced or unbalanced, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any chance you can divulge some preliminary feedback on the Yulong combo?

May 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 94
Quote:
I have not heard the La Figaro 339, but did own a DarkVoice 337SE for several years. Not exactly the same thing, I know. I think the A18 is a better amp than the 337SE overall. 

I have noticed one thing that maybe some of you other folks can try for yourselves - when running a balanced headphone out with single ended inputs, the top end seems veiled. I currently have my D100 MKII feeding both XLR and RCA into the A18. Using the rear panel switch to go back and forth between balanced and single ended input, there is a large difference in favor of the balanced input. I confirmed by swapping the MKII for the D18 DAC and the Violectric V800 since they all have XLR and RCA outs. Similar results all around. So just because you CAN use balanced headphone out with a non-balanced system, it seems like maybe you shouldn't.... until you get a balanced source as well. 

I need to test more with single ended headphone output to see how that is affected by balanced or single ended inputs. I did some listening when I first got it, through single ended inputs, and it didn't strike me as recessed. I've experienced amps that do their best by sticking with the same input and output types, thus avoiding any phase splitter conversions. Perhaps this is one of those amps. 

Hey project86,

I have read many of your reviews.  One thing I have noticed is that you have not owned the old Gilmore style of amp - the GS-1 per say..  Now the V200 and now this amp would be a good comparison to the GS-1.  Yes I have the GS-1 and I find it to still hold it's own after all these years.  I'm currently moving it to the bedside rig because of my B22 coming.  I would like to find a good DAC for it - looking at the D18 but I read that you don't think this is a good pairing.  Well for the GS-1 - what is?  I suggest you get the old soldier and do some comparing with old school amps as well.  The GS-1 just might still hold it's own..

May 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #44 of 94
Quote:
Hey project86,

I have read many of your reviews.  One thing I have noticed is that you have not owned the old Gilmore style of amp - the GS-1 per say..  Now the V200 and now this amp would be a good comparison to the GS-1.  Yes I have the GS-1 and I find it to still hold it's own after all these years.  I currently moving it to the bedside rig because of my B22 coming.  I would like to find a good DAC for it - looking at the D18 but I read that you don't think this is a good pairing.  Well for the GS-1 - what is?  I suggest you get the old soldier and do some comparing with old school amps as well.  The GS-1 just might still hold it's own..

I have owned a Gilmore GS-1 as well as a Gilmore Lite with the outboard PSU. Both are excellent, and are still relevant for today's headphone users. 

About the D18 - my exact words in the D18 review were: 

"The person who uses something like a Benchmark DAC with a Gilmore GS-1 and HD-800, and wants to upgrade their DAC while maintaining a similar overall sound, should probably not be looking at the D18 to achieve that goal. "

I'm not saying the D18 would be a bad match for the GS-1. What I'm trying to get at is that if you had a highly revealing headphone like the HD800, paired with a precise amp like the GS-1 and a neutral DAC like the Benchmark, the D18 would be a noticeable change in that setup. If you want a DAC that sounds like the Benchmark, but better, the D18 isn't it. The D18 is better in my opinion, but it is very different. 

I actually think the D18 may pair very well with the GS-1. What DAC had you been using with it prior? 

May 23, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #45 of 94
Quote:

I have owned a Gilmore GS-1 as well as a Gilmore Lite with the outboard PSU. Both are excellent, and are still relevant for today's headphone users. 

About the D18 - my exact words in the D18 review were: 

"The person who uses something like a Benchmark DAC with a Gilmore GS-1 and HD-800, and wants to upgrade their DAC while maintaining a similar overall sound, should probably not be looking at the D18 to achieve that goal. "

I'm not saying the D18 would be a bad match for the GS-1. What I'm trying to get at is that if you had a highly revealing headphone like the HD800, paired with a precise amp like the GS-1 and a neutral DAC like the Benchmark, the D18 would be a noticeable change in that setup. If you want a DAC that sounds like the Benchmark, but better, the D18 isn't it. The D18 is better in my opinion, but it is very different. 

I actually think the D18 may pair very well with the GS-1. What DAC had you been using with it prior? 

OK sorry for the misunderstanding - my fault.  I've been using the Emotiva XDA-1 Therefore it's time, for what I would consider an upgrade.  I'm getting a moded Buffalo III DAC made to go with my newly build B22 so the GS-1 gets moved to the bedroom.  So a small form factor DAC is needed.  What do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back