Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Apr 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #332 of 1,064

Quote:
Agreed. Not the fault of either company, but still a headache.
The Kao Audio UD2C will stack on pretty much anything though.... Are you still using that or have you moved on already?

Unfortunately my unit had a couple seemingly hardware-related issues, and I had to send it back. Kao was great about keeping a steady dialogue with me though, and in the end gave me close to a full refund.

Really hoping I receive something other than these Audio Technicas soon so that I can take advantage of just how good this setup sounds! After this, perhaps just a solid USB to s/pdif converter and I'll be pretty set....unless I decide to go for an EE Minimax.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #333 of 1,064
That's too bad about the Kao, but good service is always appreciated no matter what brand or company it is from.

Honestly I'm not sure if the EE Minimax will be an improvement over the D18. Maybe different but not better. Are you talking about the original or the newer model? I heard the original and was only mildly impressed compared to the praise it received from places like Stereomojo. The solid state output was much better IMO, making the whole tube aspect seem like more of a gimmick. Maybe the "plus" version is better though.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #334 of 1,064
I was thinking about the Plus, but I plan to give the Yulong and V200 some thorough listening before considering otherwise. Deciding on whether or not to preorder a new DI from Audio-GD. The Violectric is here to stay though. Couldn't be more satisfied with this amp.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #335 of 1,064

Quote:
I was thinking about the Plus, but I plan to give the Yulong and V200 some thorough listening before considering otherwise. Deciding on whether or not to preorder a new DI from Audio-GD. The Violectric is here to stay though. Couldn't be more satisfied with this amp.

Ever consider the V800 DAC to match the V200? I know we are in the Yulong thread, but it's another nice option to consider.

User Slackman went through a bunch of nice DACs earlier in the thread and finally settled on the V800. He is a pro user so has somewhat different needs than most.... he loved the D18 from a listening perspective but couldn't rely on it for accurate mixes because it made everything sound great on the top end. That's a problem for him but not necessarily for the rest of us. Still, the V800 shouldn't be ignored either. 

I'm not familiar with the new DI - is that using the new C-Media async chipset? Could be nice. The Anedio U2 is a killer deal as far as technology for the price. I can see why Yulong didn't include USB on the D18 though - so many good ones on the market right now, with plenty more on the way. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #336 of 1,064
Yup, I've definitely looked at the V800 as well. I definitely want to log some time with the Yulong before considering any changes. Its soundstage presentation is just so convincingly good, and I haven't even had a chance to try the XLR out yet. If it performs as well with some higher-end headphones, I may have hit my sweet spot in terms of price/performance ratio. The $600 I'll save...can go towards a pair of HD800s?

The new DI is based of the Tenor TE8802, but the U2 with the dual clocks looks enticing as well. Either way, it seems like a great time to be into computer audio :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #337 of 1,064
Does anybody ever had a listening experience of upgraded power cords? GrandFidelity website offers as an addon to D18 ( A18 ) for an extra $100.

Does it make any sence, any difference in compare to the original power cord? Garbage in, garbage out ideology...

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #338 of 1,064
You could be opening a big can of worms of dissenting opinions! I believe cords do make a difference... I use these and they are fantastic. Natural, extended...
http://www.triodewirelabs.com/twelve.html
M

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #339 of 1,064
Newbie here, after reading alot about this DAC I took the plunged and bought it. The store here in Shenzhen gave me a good price of $580. It's my first time to have a DAC of this caliber. My previous DACs where based on WM8740 and CS4398. This Sabre DAC impressed me alot and for me, it's really on a different level. Did someone here upgarde the fuse? any feedback? also will it make a difference if I upgrade the power cord to a hi end one? Thanks a lot.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #340 of 1,064

Quote:
That's too bad about the Kao, but good service is always appreciated no matter what brand or company it is from.
Honestly I'm not sure if the EE Minimax will be an improvement over the D18. Maybe different but not better. Are you talking about the original or the newer model? I heard the original and was only mildly impressed compared to the praise it received from places like Stereomojo. The solid state output was much better IMO, making the whole tube aspect seem like more of a gimmick. Maybe the "plus" version is better though.

The EE plus is $1100......$350 more than the older EE and $400 more than the D-18.....I'm going to go with the Yulong....don't believe the EE plus is worth it,imo.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #341 of 1,064

Quote:
Does anybody ever had a listening experience of upgraded power cords? GrandFidelity website offers as an addon to D18 ( A18 ) for an extra $100.

Does it make any sence, any difference in compare to the original power cord? Garbage in, garbage out ideology...

The Grant Fidelity power cord has a built in RF Filter.  How it's implemented, I'm not sure.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #342 of 1,064

Quote:

The Grant Fidelity power cord has a built in RF Filter.  How it's implemented, I'm not sure.

The GF PC-1.5 power cable uses an external Ferrite RF filter, positioned and matched to the shielded 5N copper conductors to obtain an almost harmonic free power frequency at your gear's power supply,.

Cheers,
Ian 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #343 of 1,064
Hello

Sorry for my english I'm french and I need your advise.

I have the opportunity to by a DAC : LAVRY DA10 or YULONG D 18.

My amplificator is a Musical Fidelity A5.

If you have an advise...THANK YOU A LOT 
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #344 of 1,064
Your English is much better than my French.  No worries.  
smile.gif

The Lavry DA 10 is an older model with a different sound signature than the Yulong D18.

The Yulong is slightly on the warm side, the Lavry more bright or more direct.

It will depend upon what your sound preference is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back