Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
May 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #361 of 1,064
Uh-oh. Maybe something wrong with a chip somewhere? I know Yulong tries very hard to get his hands on only genuine, quality parts; but I imagine it's impossible to do 100% of the time. Since the counterfeit chip market is so prevalent, you can never really be sure.

Good thing they have a solid warranty policy. Too bad about shipping though. 

May 26, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #362 of 1,064
Quite a few designers have reported the sabre chip to be really buggy, incuding locking issues needing  
complex data processes. Not sure if the Yulong designers have  the expertise to produce a reliable dac using that chip. 
rolleyes.gif

May 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #363 of 1,064
Quote:
Quite a few designers have reported the sabre chip to be really buggy, incuding locking issues needing  
complex data processes. Not sure if the Yulong designers have  the expertise to produce a reliable dac using that chip. 
rolleyes.gif

Mine locks like a champ!  Knock on wood!

May 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #364 of 1,064
Quote:
I also received a DOA D18 last week.
Mine refused to lock on to any signal.
Watching the replacement on tracking still in Hong Kong.
Will update next week.

Update
New unit arrived Monday morning and works perfectly.
For those watching for the previously mentioned buzz issue, my unit is completely silent and I have a measured 250v at the outlet.
First impressions are very good with noticeable improvement in clarity and sound stage, the output level is also higher than my ERC2 by about 1/3 so I can lower the gain on my V181 which is always a good thing.
Very happy.

May 29, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #365 of 1,064
Update
New unit arrived Monday morning and works perfectly.
For those watching for the previously mentioned buzz issue, my unit is completely silent and I have a measured 250v at the outlet.
First impressions are very good with noticeable improvement in clarity and sound stage, the output level is also higher than my ERC2 by about 1/3 so I can lower the gain on my V181 which is always a good thing.
Very happy.

That is good news. D18 balanced out to a V181 sounds like a great combo!

May 31, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #366 of 1,064
Yulong has a TE8802 USB Interface in development aiming to be launched at the end of year. At the moment Audio-Gd has one already on sale - TE8802 24/192 USB with external PSU.

May 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #368 of 1,064
Jun 2, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #369 of 1,064
Request Linux-Compatibility from the TE8802 - responsible with this sampel mail!!!

To: info.chiu@gfec.com.tw !!! Let's do it EVERYBODY! This might help!!!

Mr. Info Chiu is product responsable at Galaxy Far East Corp, the producers of the TE8802

Sample Text:

---

To:
info.chiu@gfec.com.tw

Subject:
TE8802L: Please provide full Linux-Compatibility for asynchronous mode

Att.:
Mr. Info Chiu

Dear Sir

I own a recent DAC from the brand "yulong". This will upgraded with the TE8802L - Chip as a USB interface soon.

However, I was unfortunately disappointed, as I read, that this is not fully compatible with Linux. I use a Linux-based computer for listening.

This does not only concern myself. There is a very large computer-audio-using community using Linux-based systems, who would like to connect their DACs in Asynchronous Mode, by Audio Class V2.0. You can easily confirm this by reading in forums where some consumers of hifi-equipments exchange their experiencies.

Other asynchronous interfaces connect to Linux natively and work flawlessly.

This concerns not only computer users, but as well the large community of Linux-based "Logitech Squeezebox Touch" users, who want to use the optimal quality by using the USB port for the asynchronous connection of a USB DAC (with the "Enhanced Digital Output App")

I hope, that you will soon provide asynchronous USB compatibility for Linux, in cooperation with the Linux developer community and the Logitech Squeezebox developers. Please make sure that the necessary drivers are incorporated into the Linux distributions and into the Squeezebox Touch with a near-future-software update.

I thank you very much in advance for your attention and your efforts in providing a largely compatible USB Audio Class V2.0 interface, and I am looking forward to your answer.

Sincerely yours!

---

I did it. Let us know it here, when you did it, too! THANKS!!!

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #370 of 1,064
ursdiego, thank you for bringing this to head-fi readers attention and my attention. I am a big Linux user myself and would very much appreciate asynchronous mode Linux drivers for the TE8802L. I am also very experienced in working with Asian companies designing products together and improving upon existing products. Keeping things simple and to the point is best. Especially making a point with practical business sense that will benefit the company.

I sent an email in simplified Chinese to GFEC similar to the one below. Wording was a little different since many English phrases and grammar does not translate well. This is the basic jest of it. Simple and to the point.

"Greetings

There are many enthusiasts (audiophile) media players with Linux-based firmware. Support for external USB DAC's is now common. Asynchronous mode TE8802L Linux drivers will help ensure success for the future of GFEC semiconductors. Thank you for your consideration.

Arthur
"

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #373 of 1,064
ursdiego My mistake, there is no Mr Zhao. I must of mixed up something with someone else from anther company. I just updated my post. Anyone sending an email to GFEC should just start with something like 'Greetings'.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #374 of 1,064
Guys this really has nothing to do with the D18, maybe take it to another thread.

If Yulong does create a USB/SPDIF converter it would probably get it's own thread in computer audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back