Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Jan 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #167 of 1,064

Quote:
Dying for more reviews.

Has anyone compared the D-18 to the PS Audio DL III w/ Cullen mods or the W4S DAC-1? 

Working on review but kind of backed up with some other stuff.

I used to own a stock DLIII, and I'd say the D18 is clearly superior. BUT - and this is the good part - they come from the same family, in terms of overall sound and "feel". To my ears, they both focus on smooth musicality rather than utterly neutral transparency, with the D18 reaching significantly higher performance. But I'd say the D18 is a logical upgrade for DLIII fans. I haven't heard a modded version, so can't speak to that. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #168 of 1,064

Quote:

I used to own a stock DLIII, and I'd say the D18 is clearly superior. BUT - and this is the good part - they come from the same family, in terms of overall sound and "feel". To my ears, they both focus on smooth musicality rather than utterly neutral transparency, with the D18 reaching significantly higher performance. But I'd say the D18 is a logical upgrade for DLIII fans. I haven't heard a modded version, so can't speak to that. 

Looking fwd to the review.

Hi AVU,

Thanks for the JKDAC / JKDAC32 suggestion.

Started a new thread for the Linnenberg udc1 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589174/info-review-s-linnenberg-audio-udc1-asynchronous-usb-dac
Review will follow shortly.

Hi Slackman,

Have you considered Audio-GD's NFB7.1 based on the Saber32, the previous version got rave reviews and this one has even better output stage.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB7/NFB7EN.htm

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #169 of 1,064
Jan 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #171 of 1,064

Quote:
Project86 (and others) - what usb-spdif interface are you using with the D18?  

None - I'm using a JF Digital HDM-03S music server, sending out a very high quality SPDIF signal to the D18. 

It's basically a dedicated computer for audio, I believe running Linux. It has an excellent analog output stage, but the D18 is even better. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #172 of 1,064

Quote:

Cool.

Glad to hear that one of your excellent, in-depth reviews is forthcoming.  No write up would worry me, considering what you said earlier. 

According to professional and user reviews alike, the Cullen mods supposedly took the DLIII to another level.  My interest in it stems from that, and the often overused description of "analog-sounding."  My interest in the Wyred4sound stuff is based upon the same sort of reviews, reputed build quality and customer service, and a supposedly excellent USB implementation, which should eliminate the need for another USB>S/PDIF converter.  But the often overused description of "digital-sounding," has me a little hesitant. 

The one thing that concerns me about the Yulong is the use of opamps in the I/V filtering stage, which I keep reading isn't ideal.  How non-ideal is something I'm finding very hard to determine.  Opinions on this subject are about as varied as opinions get.  Just have to have faith that Yulong knows what he's doing.  I suppose my course will be to order a D-18 and try it out in my system for 30 days.  If I decide it isn't for me I can send it back and start browsing Audiogon and the forums for something used.

My goal here is twofold:  Find a smoother, less forward and strident (read a bit harsh with fatiguing glare in the upper midrange/lower treble) than my XDA-1 for the living room system that is worthy of later becoming the source (fed by a Mac Mini and a really good USB converter) in a dedicated room system of higher quality than my living room setup.  I'm actually starting to build that system now, but by beginning with the DAC, I can also improve the SQ in the living room until I get it set up a couple of years from now.  

The more I get into this hobby, the more I realize that I really need to win the lottery...

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #173 of 1,064
I'm also curious about various Audio-gd offerings, but there are so many—and so many threads about them—that I'm having a hard time sorting out which models compare to the Yulong, price notwithstanding. 

The Reference 5 looks interesting though...

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #175 of 1,064

Quote:
I'm also curious about various Audio-gd offerings, but there are so many—and so many threads about them—that I'm having a hard time sorting out which models compare to the Yulong, price notwithstanding. 

The Reference 5 looks interesting though...

You wouldn't be the first one to get lost in the "Audio GD shuffle". I really loved the Ref 7 when I had it, but I haven't picked up any of their other models because it moves so fast. I'm probably missing out.... but who wants to buy something that is immediately discontinued or replaced with an upgrade? 

Quote:
How is the accompanying A18 coming along?  Any news on that release?

I haven't heard anything. I think the D18 was priority, and now that it is complete we should see progress on the amp. That's how it went down with the D100/A100 releases. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #176 of 1,064

Quote:
I haven't heard anything. I think the D18 was priority, and now that it is complete we should see progress on the amp. That's how it went down with the D100/A100 releases. 

Except this time the A18 is priced higher than the D18...
Last time I heard the A18 is coming out around end of January, but I doubt I will have enough fund to go for it...

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #177 of 1,064

Quote:

None - I'm using a JF Digital HDM-03S music server, sending out a very high quality SPDIF signal to the D18. 

It's basically a dedicated computer for audio, I believe running Linux. It has an excellent analog output stage, but the D18 is even better. 

So this music server uses hard disk? Or that would be the same model without the "S"? If it does which type of hard disk it uses?

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #178 of 1,064

Quote:

So this music server uses hard disk? Or that would be the same model without the "S"? If it does which type of hard disk it uses?

I just realized that is the wrong picture.... Oops! That pic is of the HDM-03 which is the top model and has output transformers. Mine is the S version which has no output transformers (but still sounds quite good with OPA627 and AD797 based output stage). The appearance is still very similar.

They don't use any moving parts or internal drive. It has several USB ports on the rear for attaching a USB drive, either flash based or standard. I use a 500GB Seagate portable drive. You can also get a wifi adapter and stream music from a computer or NAS, which I have not tried yet. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #179 of 1,064
Good catch. JF Digital is the OEM manufacturer for that Consonance product. The similarities are more easily noticed when you get a look at the unit in operation. 

Here is the Consonance:

Here is my JF Digital HDM-03S:

I'm working on a review of the JF Digital unit - it is very impressive. With a few minor issues addressed (mainly through firmware updates) and some better marketing, they could easily be selling truckloads of these things for twice the price. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #180 of 1,064

Quote:
I'm working on a review of the JF Digital unit - it is very impressive. With a few minor issues addressed (mainly through firmware updates) and some better marketing, they could easily be selling truckloads of these things for twice the price. 

What is that price 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back