Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Dec 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #646 of 1,064
I pulled the trigger on a black D18 today, should have it by the end of next week :)
Once again, terrible waiting will hopefully be rewarded...

But reading your post makes me feel very confident with my decision, perfect!

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #648 of 1,064
Dec 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #649 of 1,064
My Auraliti PK90 music server uses a SOtM card for USB out. It sounds phenomenal. I have been tempted to pick up their DDC with the battery PSU but haven't had the time to really investigate it properly. They also have a ~$2k DAC which looks very well done - you can find it on eBay but it specifically says they aren't allowed to sell in the USA so I'll probably never get a chance to hear it.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #650 of 1,064
Quote:
My Auraliti PK90 music server uses a SOtM card for USB out. It sounds phenomenal. I have been tempted to pick up their DDC with the battery PSU but haven't had the time to really investigate it properly. They also have a ~$2k DAC which looks very well done - you can find it on eBay but it specifically says they aren't allowed to sell in the USA so I'll probably never get a chance to hear it.

http://sotm-audio.com/english/dealers/dealers.php the first two dealers are based in the US, maybe they have what you've been looking for?

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #651 of 1,064
Congrats! I can't wait to hear your impressions. I really hope they are as favorable as mine were and continue to be on my setup.

I pulled the trigger on a black D18 today, should have it by the end of next week :)
Once again, terrible waiting will hopefully be rewarded...
But reading your post makes me feel very confident with my decision, perfect!

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #652 of 1,064
Quote:
I just took home an Ayre QB-9 DAC for a try today.  I already knew I like the D18 more than my Rega Dac.

QB-9:
  Laid back, smooth, warm.  Bass is a little boomy and unfocused.

D18:
  Everything pops, with wicked detail and instrument seperation.  A very 3D soundstage.

IMO, the D18 is a better sounding dac.  That's saying allot when the QB-9 is worth 4 times as much.

Now if I was a vinyl lover wanting that warm analog sound from my digital play back, the QB-9 might be the better choice.

I'm driving the D18 with a M2Tech Hiface by the way.

Went and plugged in a QB-9 again and I think I need to retract my statement that the D18 is better.  The Bass might not be as focused on the QB-9 but there is a certain richness across the spectrum.  The music just flows.  The instrument timbres seem to be more accurate on the QB-9.  Vocals are quite magical on the Ayre.

Part of the difference might be that I pulled the D18 all together and used the same conditioner, USB power supply, cables and balanced outputs this time.

Maybe the $2750 new price turned me off originally.  I've found a used 24/192 version for $1800, my common sense isn't playing with my hearing at that price. :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #653 of 1,064
QB-9 is still a very nice unit, so it wouldn't surprise me if hit edged out the D18. The only minor thing I notice is that you are using the original Hiface which isn't really a top quality DDC by today's standards. I notice the D18 is very willing to respond to improvements in the transport - I've used an Izmo M1, Resonessence Concero, Stello U3, and a bunch of cheaper/lower end options, and I can tell the difference when using the better ones.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #654 of 1,064
Quote:
QB-9 is still a very nice unit, so it wouldn't surprise me if hit edged out the D18. The only minor thing I notice is that you are using the original Hiface which isn't really a top quality DDC by today's standards. I notice the D18 is very willing to respond to improvements in the transport - I've used an Izmo M1, Resonessence Concero, Stello U3, and a bunch of cheaper/lower end options, and I can tell the difference when using the better ones.

No, I ditched the Hiface 1 for a Hiface 2 a few months back.  The 2 had been driving the D18 for probably 6-8 months now.

The 2 wasn't stable, the computer would lose the Hiface 2 for no apparent reason on occasion. I see others were having the same issue.  It was part of the reason I decided to play with the QB-9 again.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #655 of 1,064
Quote:
The 2 wasn't stable, the computer would lose the Hiface 2 for no apparent reason on occasion. I see others were having the same issue.  It was part of the reason I decided to play with the QB-9 again.

It's like the USB port turns into an idle state and doesn't deliver enough power. My Hiface2 stopped losing connection after adding a powered hub. When I can afford it I'll get an Aqvox (or Vaunix).

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #656 of 1,064
Agreed. I am using the Audiophilleo2 and the PurePower upgrade. Since the D18 is so resolving, I think using this high-end interface really helped to seem like such an amazing upgrade to me over the other non-reference DACs I had been using.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back