Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5)
Nov 20, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #631 of 1,064
Has anyone compared this DAC to the saber implemented DACs from Audio-GD?  It seem the Audio-GD stuff is much more expensive.  However, is the balanced implementation on par with Audio-GD or is it lacking in any way?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #632 of 1,064
Quote:
Has anyone compared this DAC to the saber implemented DACs from Audio-GD?  It seem the Audio-GD stuff is much more expensive.  However, is the balanced implementation on par with Audio-GD or is it lacking in any way?

I'm running my D18 fully balanced with my Stax system and it is an excellent match. I haven't felt the need to go searching for other alternatives. That is the best recommendation I can give any component.

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #633 of 1,064

NFB-1.32 costs just about the same as the D18 and includes USB input. Haven't heard it (yet).

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #634 of 1,064
I had the Audio-gd NFB10-WM (fully balanced dedicated DAC and AMP combo) for over a year and sold it recently. It had the WM8741 DAC chip instead of the Saber, but was the exact unit with the different chip. The WM8741 is still pretty well regarded.

I was shocked at how much better the Yulong D18 is. It was a major improvement and wasn't even close. The audio-gd was clearly colored and artifical sounding in comparison. It had less detail and still didn't feel as smooth/warm even with less detail (although I was really happy with it for a good while). The D18 is so much better than that unit was for less money. Because of that, I have a hard time imaging anything in their lineup short of the reference series products could hang with it. I would certainly stick to Yulong or W4S well before considering another Audio-gd DAC in the future, but that's just me. 

Quote:

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #635 of 1,064
I've owned both the 1.32 and the D18, though not simultaneously. I found the D18 a little bit too smooth and warm for my tastes, as I prefer a more neutral signature. Additionally, the 1.32 has an excellent USB input, and is thus the unit I have kept. I have tried both XLR and RCA out,  without noticing a huge difference.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #636 of 1,064
Quote:

I think it was a guy with "custom nuts" or something with nuts in as his alias that compared the AudioGD ref 7.1 to the yulong D18, and the AudioGD master 5 to the Yulong A18, with the Denon D7000 headphones.

His results were that they were all good, and if you wanted ultra detailed and transparent and neutral then the AudioGD combo wins.
If you wanted as smooth as possible, then the Yulong combo wins.

But if you wanted the best of both worlds, smooth and detailed. then (and here's a shocker for me) the best combo was the D18 + master 5!

They Ref 7.1 + A18 didn't match. 

I have always been of the opinion that you take the most detailed source and round it out and colour it with the amp or headphones. But apparently the AudioGD just literally takes what it gets (be it smooth or harsh) and amplify that, keeping that smooth sound but showing details that the A18 would cover up. 

This review is what has pushed me to go for the AudioGD Master 8 (currently saving up). The preamp helps too. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #637 of 1,064
Hi All,

Noticed earlier in the the thread some comments about great synergy between D18 & Mjol.

Has anyone compared D18 to da Gung, via Mjol ?

I'm very happy with my Gung, but I am using the scalpel that is a balanced HD 800.
LCD 2.2 rosewood also on order, to be used balanced from Mjol.

A highlight of Gung for me is the multiple simultaneous outputs (1 x BAL, 2 x SE) so I can use my 3 amp / 4 HP combos all at once (DT880 600/Crack - Mjol/HD 800/LCD 2.2 - Woo GES/SR 507 - note: GES yet to arrive).

But after reading D18 / Mjol & D18 / Stax comments in this thread, am very interested.

Cheers,

R

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #640 of 1,064
Would it be a bad idea to pair up the D18 with my WooAudio WA2?

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #642 of 1,064
So it seem's like a good idea so far. I think i'm going to get one :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #644 of 1,064
I think it is a great DAC and phenominal value. It seemed like a big step up from both a Marantz SA8004 and my prior Audio-gd NFB10 I compared it directly too. It also seemed like a clear improvement in my system from a cullen modded PS Audio DL3 that I had up to a week or two prior to getting the D18 (couldn't do direct comparison), which is a really well regarded DAC.

It goes great with my Woo Audio WA22. It is very detailed and accurate, yet does not sound cold or analytical. The micro-detail and impact in particular blew me away. On my setup, it is smooth with a touch of warmth but definitely not exaggerated or artificial. I have found that sometimes the impression of warmth is acheived by emphasizing bass and mids and recessing treble, by being slow, etc. That is not the case here. Its sound signature sounded like exactly what I wanted, and it even exceeded my hopes.

Quote:
Please do and share some impression, i've been wanting to get a tube amp but don't know how the d18 would sounds with tube. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #645 of 1,064
I've settled on the D18 as my DAC of choice for the foreseeable future (after going through about a half-dozen increasingly expensive ones)  and have hooked up both a WA2 (via RCA) and WA22 (via XLR) Of course it shines with the WA22 via the balanced connection, however it is very good with the WA2 as well. The important thing is that it is clear & neutral, and any coloration will be your choice through tube selection (of course taking your headphone into consideration) A whole world of experimentation will open up to you...
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back