YuLong DAART Aquila II DAC Amplifier
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #61 of 100
Hi guys, from cold Russia))
Forgive me for my bad english. I choose a DAC + amplifier for my Meze 99 Classic. Today I am using Topping DХ 3 Pro. And I'm not satisfied with the sound. Will Aquila 2 be a major improvement? Maybe you should consider other options for $ 700 (roughly)? Topping DX7Pro? Schiit Jotunheim? Audio-GD 11.38? SMSL M200 + SP 200?
And further. Have questions:
1. Should I change Aquila's power cord? They write that there is a lot of noise from him (interference)
2. The off button is very inconvenient - on the back panel. Can I keep my device on at all times? If yes, does the display light up? I sleep in the same room, I want complete darkness.
Thanks for answers!

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #62 of 100
Mar 14, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #63 of 100
Hi everyone for those that are interested, I just posted my review of the Aquila II here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yulong-aquila-ii.24815/review/25487/
Hi! I read the review with interest. Maybe you can help me with my question? I am very happy with my Meze 99 Classic + Topping DX3 Pro. But I want to buy an amplifier + DAC higher class (about 700 USD), which will help make the sound less dull. I want sound a little brighter, and the scene was wider and deeper. Will it help me with YuLong DAART Aquila II? I compare with Gustard-A20H on a chip AKM AK4497 or Topping DX7 with a chip Sabre ES9038PRO. Or Yulong DA 9 (AK4497). Which will be better for Meze? Thank :)

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #64 of 100
Hi! I read the review with interest. Maybe you can help me with my question? I am very happy with my Meze 99 Classic + Topping DX3 Pro. But I want to buy an amplifier + DAC higher class (about 700 USD), which will help make the sound less dull. I want sound a little brighter, and the scene was wider and deeper. Will it help me with YuLong DAART Aquila II? I compare with Gustard-A20H on a chip AKM AK4497 or Topping DX7 with a chip Sabre ES9038PRO. Or Yulong DA 9 (AK4497). Which will be better for Meze? Thank :)
With the Meze 99 the Aquila II might just be the ticket. It doesn't sound boring at all. In fact, the Aquila II is rather musical and the top end has plenty of clarity. Sabre chips are known to have a brighter sound than AKM chips. The way the ES9038Pro is implemented in the Aquila II the sound is very balanced and engaging. I actually think you'll be very pleased with the Meze 99 and Aquila II pairing.

Mar 14, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #66 of 100
Thanks for your reply! Aquila 2 will be a significant improvement over my simple Topping D X 3 Pro, which runs on AKM AK4493EQ? Will I feel the difference?
I think so. The Aquila II has a nice, punchy, and deep low end. The midrange is also slightly forward which helps vocals standout. From what I heard the bass doesn't bleed into the midrange. This helps with instrument separation and keeps the midrange clean sounding. It should be a nice upgrade over the DX3 Pro.

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #70 of 100
I was out trying to audition a dac/amp for a secondary listening station for my Susvara / Abyss TC. This is so that I could enjoy my cans other than my main station (either in the living room or at my house overseas whenever I travel back for a few days). I already spent a good amount on my main set up and I was looking for something of a good price:performance ratio and relatively compact.

I was about to buy a Burson Conductor 3x GT, as it is a great all-in-one, but I thought to compare it first to the new Topping A90D stack (with the D90se and U90). I am not a fan of A90 for Susvara but thought to give the A90d a chance. Yeah nope the Topping sound was really not for me. Then i saw this Aquila 2 in a corner with its power output and other details displayed. Seems to meet the minimum Susvara requirements. I tried it out and got a nice analog sound, nice deep and full bodied bass, smooth non-“pixelated” treble. Nice and relaxing listen. Not as good as my main system but all the elements of a wonderful listening experience are there. I found a new-ish set for sale in the local online classifieds for ~550USD. It ticked all the boxes for my compact, secondary Susvara set-up for a steal price.

My source is an Allo Digione Signature and I use a Shunyata venom digital power cable with the Aquila2. I think it’s a great DAC implementation with the FPGA stage. It is for me my best kept Susvara secret. Most Susvara/TC owners shy away from dac/amp devices in this price range; it’s their loss. I am so happy to stumble upon this.

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #71 of 100
Anyone have the new Aquila III with the AKM chipset? I haven't found a single review anywhere but just ordered one blindly. Been wanting to try this thing for it's DSD1024 and PCM1536 support over USB with HQPlayer.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #72 of 100
Anyone have the new Aquila III with the AKM chipset? I haven't found a single review anywhere but just ordered one blindly. Been wanting to try this thing for it's DSD1024 and PCM1536 support over USB with HQPlayer.
Nope, haven't heard it yet, or heard from anyone else who has. Definitely looks interesting though.

I have tried feeding DSD512 to the DA Art Aurora and it sounded great, but different chipset etc so who knows.

Let us know your thoughts once you get the new Aquila.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #74 of 100
May 1, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #75 of 100
I ended up requesting a cancellation for this order. After looking into it, I don't think the Aquila III has anything like a NOS mode that would let me bypass the internal DAC oversampling needed for optimal HQPlayer use. They have a clock 1x and clock 2x mode, but both seem to use some degree of oversampling in the AKM DAC. The Aquila II (ESS) had a synchronous mode that bypassed the DAC oversampling, but it doesn't look like this feature carried over into the version III with AKM DAC.

Now let's see if they'll actually cancel my order (submitted through Walmart) or if I end up getting it and needing to return it at the store. If I end up getting it, I'll certainly give it a go before returning it and post any impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back