YuLong DAART Aquila II DAC Amplifier
May 3, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #76 of 100
Oh no :frowning2: Well, I don't use HQPlayer so probably not an issue for me (I use Roon, either to stream Qobuz or to listen to my home library), but I'm still hesitant to order this amp just because of how expensive it is. It would be in a league above anything I've ever owned before. I may order by the end of the month depending on some things...but in the meantime I'll await any reviews posted here.

May 3, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #77 of 100
Oh no :frowning2: Well, I don't use HQPlayer so probably not an issue for me (I use Roon, either to stream Qobuz or to listen to my home library), but I'm still hesitant to order this amp just because of how expensive it is. It would be in a league above anything I've ever owned before. I may order by the end of the month depending on some things...but in the meantime I'll await any reviews posted here.
If you can order from Walmart, they seem to have a free 30 day return period in-store. You can try it out with minimal risk.

May 5, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #78 of 100
I ended up requesting a cancellation for this order. After looking into it, I don't think the Aquila III has anything like a NOS mode that would let me bypass the internal DAC oversampling needed for optimal HQPlayer use. They have a clock 1x and clock 2x mode, but both seem to use some degree of oversampling in the AKM DAC. The Aquila II (ESS) had a synchronous mode that bypassed the DAC oversampling, but it doesn't look like this feature carried over into the version III with AKM DAC.

Now let's see if they'll actually cancel my order (submitted through Walmart) or if I end up getting it and needing to return it at the store. If I end up getting it, I'll certainly give it a go before returning it and post any impressions.

You hit the nail on the head here. The ES9038Pro allows for bypassing of the integrated ASRC process, which is great for people who use external upsampling via Roon/HQplayer/Mozzaik/etc. It's actually very welcome even for people who don't upsample as well, as it creates more interesting variation from one transport to the next. And if you have some really high-end streamer or disc-based transport, it can surpass the normal ASRC mode imho.

The Aquila II is one of the few DACs out there to allow this operation, along with the Matrix X-Sabre 3 and probably a few others I'm forgetting right now. It must be difficult to implement or something because not many designers take advantage of this option.

The AKM chips don't allow this. So for example in the flagship Yulong DA1, they still let us select between the two different clock modes, but the alternate mode just uses the proprietary JIC processing to force a lower oversampling rate... AKM only lets them go so low, but not eliminate all together. It still impacts sound (more analog and full bodied) but not quite the same as the devices with ESS chips on board. Aquila III should be similar.

If you can order from Walmart, they seem to have a free 30 day return period in-store. You can try it out with minimal risk.

Their policy reads as if the 3rd party sellers kind of set their own terms. I've heard some horror stories about people getting damaged products, the vendor ghosting them, and Walmart refusing to step in. But I've also heard some where Walmart forces them to honor the return. So who knows, might be a case by case basis like a lot of big box retail situations can be.

If they really do end up allowing an in-store, no-hassle return, that would actually be very useful.

May 18, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #79 of 100
Anyone have the new Aquila III with the AKM chipset? I haven't found a single review anywhere but just ordered one blindly. Been wanting to try this thing for it's DSD1024 and PCM1536 support over USB with HQPlayer.
Hey so sorry we haven't had anyone take care of our marketing for a long time, but hey we are back! and hopefully, there will be a review soon.

May 18, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #80 of 100
Hey so sorry we haven't had anyone take care of our marketing for a long time, but hey we are back! and hopefully, there will be a review soon.
Hi Yulong team - if you add DSD Direct mode / NOS mode to your products, they may well become the go-to devices for users of HQPlayer and other upscalers. I decided to cancel my order once I learned that the Aquila III didn't have the synchronous mode of the Aquila II nor did it have DSD direct, which AKM chip supports. These features are valuable to a select group of users and your products would appeal to them more if you enabled them.

May 19, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #81 of 100
Hi Yulong team - if you add DSD Direct mode / NOS mode to your products, they may well become the go-to devices for users of HQPlayer and other upscalers. I decided to cancel my order once I learned that the Aquila III didn't have the synchronous mode of the Aquila II nor did it have DSD direct, which AKM chip supports. These features are valuable to a select group of users and your products would appeal to them more if you enabled them.
Hi, my friend I have talked with the boss, and what he told me is that synchronous mode is always on, on the Aquila III, the other one has been removed, and you don't need to do any settings on the DSD, it will change by itself when you play the different file. And we will add the Nos on the future software update if that is needed. And btw pcm1536 for AKM only the sharp roll-off filter will work but for the rest the Nos can work normally.

May 19, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #82 of 100
It's a great AMP trust me! but hey we will have some review post soon!

May 19, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #83 of 100
Hi, my friend I have talked with the boss, and what he told me is that synchronous mode is always on, on the Aquila III, the other one has been removed, and you don't need to do any settings on the DSD, it will change by itself when you play the different file. And we will add the Nos on the future software update if that is needed. And btw pcm1536 for AKM only the sharp roll-off filter will work but for the rest the Nos can work normally.
This goes against what I've read, but there's very little out there about this product. Can you post a manual and some more technical detail about this somewhere. For example, if synchronous mode is always on, why is there a clock 1x/2x selection? The description states that both of these modes use some degree of AKM's oversampling. It would be good to read about all these features in detail. Thanks

May 19, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #84 of 100
The description states that both of these modes use some degree of AKM's oversampling. It would be good to read about all these features in detail. Thanks
Description seems correct. There is no true NOS mode in Delta-Sigma converters. Noise shaping is an integral part of DS algorithm and it requires oversampling at least 2x. Therefore in the AKM chip there are two stages of oversampling. One can be bypassed, the other not.

May 19, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #85 of 100
This goes against what I've read, but there's very little out there about this product. Can you post a manual and some more technical detail about this somewhere. For example, if synchronous mode is always on, why is there a clock 1x/2x selection? The description states that both of these modes use some degree of AKM's oversampling. It would be good to read about all these features in detail. Thanks
AK4191 supports different clock frequencies, and x2 is what it is supposed to be but the x1 has a more warming sound. So yes the synchronous mode is always on. For both x1 and x2.

May 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #86 of 100
Anyone have the new Aquila III with the AKM chipset? I haven't found a single review anywhere but just ordered one blindly. Been wanting to try this thing for it's DSD1024 and PCM1536 support over USB with HQPlayer.
I am using it since intensive since yesterday. Must say it is an impressive piece of gear. Was not familiar with aquila II but will listen it as much as possible to have some thoughts for you.

Attachments

• IMG_3619.jpeg
    IMG_3619.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 25, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #87 of 100

I auditioned the Aquila III during this High End Munich 2023. The build and design are fantastic, the volume knob is a rotary encoder of sort with distinct steps and does not feel hollow like some of their competitors. There was enough power to easily drive Sennheiser HD820 and the Ananda Nano that they paired this one with.

Please take my impressions with grain of salts as the showfloor is not the best place to form impressions, but I found the Aquila III to have a slightly warmer tone with very good dynamics. The slight warmth and analogue-ness is usually what I expect from Yulong and it's present here again. I was listening to the Clock X1 mode, perhaps clock x2 would have a more "reference" take on sound. However, I preferred the sound on x1 enough to think that this might become one of the best all-in-one offerings under USD$1K.

I think you won't regret the purchase, at least based on my short impressions.

2X2A1626.jpg

May 25, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #88 of 100
I auditioned the Aquila III during this High End Munich 2023. The build and design are fantastic, the volume knob is a rotary encoder of sort with distinct steps and does not feel hollow like some of their competitors. There was enough power to easily drive Sennheiser HD820 and the Ananda Nano that they paired this one with.

Please take my impressions with grain of salts as the showfloor is not the best place to form impressions, but I found the Aquila III to have a slightly warmer tone with very good dynamics. The slight warmth and analogue-ness is usually what I expect from Yulong and it's present here again. I was listening to the Clock X1 mode, perhaps clock x2 would have a more "reference" take on sound. However, I preferred the sound on x1 enough to think that this might become one of the best all-in-one offerings under USD$1K.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. Is there a selectable gain, so the Aquila III can be used with IEMs?

May 25, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #90 of 100

2X2A1626.jpg
the bottom one device is very interesting. I think it is not yet available to buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back