YuLong DAART Aquila II DAC Amplifier
Jun 1, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #91 of 100
Hi Yulong team - if you add DSD Direct mode / NOS mode to your products, they may well become the go-to devices for users of HQPlayer and other upscalers. I decided to cancel my order once I learned that the Aquila III didn't have the synchronous mode of the Aquila II nor did it have DSD direct, which AKM chip supports. These features are valuable to a select group of users and your products would appeal to them more if you enabled them.
So in a couple AK4191+AK4499EX DSD Goes directly, without processing Pcm. I have Topping e70v with AK4191+AK4499EX - DSD sounds very clean and musical!
Moreover, as already mentioned, in the DS DAC no clean NOS.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #92 of 100
So in a couple AK4191+AK4499EX DSD Goes directly, without processing Pcm. I have Topping e70v with AK4191+AK4499EX - DSD sounds very clean and musical!
Moreover, as already mentioned, in the DS DAC no clean NOS.
I believe there is a Direct DSD mode in the AKM chip that can be enabled or disabled. This is up to the developer to expose or not. The Topping E70V, for example, doesn't expose this mode. The SMSL D400 EX and the Gustard A26 do have this mode selectable and it allows bypassing a bunch of processing on the chip. The Yulong doesn't seem to have this mode. It seems to be similar to the Topping E70V in that regard.

NOS is a filter that is on the AKM chip as well, but doesn't seem to be exposed on the Yulong either. See the RME ADI-2 implementation of the older AKM chips, they have the NOS filter selectable.

Both these options are useful for using with HQPlayer, but they seem to be missing on the Yulong unfortunately. Someone with the unit can check and confirm. There's very little to go on, due to lack of reviews and even a downloadable manual anywhere. My email attempts to get a manual were never responded to.

Both of these features should be possible to add with a firmware update, should Yulong decide to do so.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #93 of 100
I believe there is a Direct DSD mode in the AKM chip that can be enabled or disabled. This is up to the developer to expose or not. The Topping E70V, for example, doesn't expose this mode. The SMSL D400 EX and the Gustard A26 do have this mode selectable and it allows bypassing a bunch of processing on the chip. The Yulong doesn't seem to have this mode. It seems to be similar to the Topping E70V in that regard.

NOS is a filter that is on the AKM chip as well, but doesn't seem to be exposed on the Yulong either. See the RME ADI-2 implementation of the older AKM chips, they have the NOS filter selectable.

Both these options are useful for using with HQPlayer, but they seem to be missing on the Yulong unfortunately. Someone with the unit can check and confirm. There's very little to go on, due to lack of reviews and even a downloadable manual anywhere. My email attempts to get a manual were never responded to.

Both of these features should be possible to add with a firmware update, should Yulong decide to do so.
You yourself listened Aquila III or other AK4499EX?!
This read the review of the one who listened. And I completely agree with the reviewer.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #94 of 100
You yourself listened Aquila III or other AK4499EX?!
This read the review of the one who listened. And I completely agree with the reviewer.
I'm not making any claims about how they sound. I'm sure they sound great with DSD. My point is there is a specific option on the chip that can be enabled or disabled called "Direct DSD" and this option seems to be missing on the Topping and Yulong, but is present on the SMSL and Gustard. I'm sure they all sound great regardless, but from what I understand - that is a selectable option that doesn't seem present on either of those units. Maybe it's enabled by default, but I'm uncertain due to the lack of documentation.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #95 of 100
I'm not making any claims about how they sound. I'm sure they sound great with DSD. My point is there is a specific option on the chip that can be enabled or disabled called "Direct DSD" and this option seems to be missing on the Topping and Yulong, but is present on the SMSL and Gustard. I'm sure they all sound great regardless, but from what I understand - that is a selectable option that doesn't seem present on either of those units. Maybe it's enabled by default, but I'm uncertain due to the lack of documentation.
I understand you. For all of us always want more in both values and possibilities. But the main thing is the result! Enjoy the good sound of good music!))

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #96 of 100

Hi my friend
The DSD stays on all the time there's no setting you need to do at all. we can add Nos but the thing is it may sound bad so we decided to close the use of NOS.

Jun 28, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #97 of 100
Hi my friend
The DSD stays on all the time there's no setting you need to do at all. we can add Nos but the thing is it may sound bad so we decided to close the use of NOS.
Could you please be more exact? Is the DSDD bit of AK4191EQ permanently set to "1" or to "0" ? Or is it switched together with some other setting?
If it is permanently set to "1", then delta sigma modulator is bypassed. This path is usually called as direct DSD path. In this mode no volume control is possible with DSD input content.
If it is permanently set to "0", then volume control is possible with DSD signal, which is then re-modulated in delta sigma modulator.

ak4191eq-block-diagram.gif

Some DACs do switching between direct DSD mode and volume control mode based on DAC / preamp mode switching.
Some DACs have direct DSD mode permanently enabled with no possibility of volume control for DSD content.
I would like to get exact answer from manufacturer, not "the DSD stays on".

Jun 28, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #98 of 100
Could you please be more exact? Is the DSDD bit of AK4191EQ permanently set to "1" or to "0" ? Or is it switched together with some other setting?
If it is permanently set to "1", then delta sigma modulator is bypassed.
Hi,

They say there is no option called NOS. It means, of course that DSD bit stays '0' all the time. There was an error in the communicatio, not a big one. You can verify yourself. Do you have volume control while playing DSD (SACD)? It not, then DSD bit is set to '0'.

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #99 of 100
Hi,

They say there is no option called NOS. It means, of course that DSD bit stays '0' all the time. There was an error in the communicatio, not a big one. You can verify yourself. Do you have volume control while playing DSD (SACD)? It not, then DSD bit is set to '0'.
Volume control is analog on this, so it's possible to have it working in direct DSD mode.

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #100 of 100
Do you have volume control while playing DSD (SACD)? It not, then DSD bit is set to '0'.
You wrote it in the opposite way, see the picture. But it would be relevant only for digital volume control, not analog one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back