Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #692 of 779
I just popped down to Dick Smith a bought a pair of AU $15 Philips Extra Bass earbuds and they sound pretty good! More like the bass I expected the PK3s to have, but with a bit less clarity in the mids and more rolled off treble. Still, for my purposes they're just fine. Might put my PK3s on the FS forum...

OK - now I'm just curious - I'm so close to ordering another pair from headphonia, head-direct or another reputable dealer to see if I got a dodgy pair... I mean... bass? Bass where are you?

Can someone make a vagueish comparison for me to another set of headphones? I'm familiar with ATH-M50, Phonak PFE (black filter), iBuds, MS1i, KSC75, Meelec M9 etc.

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #695 of 779
my (third) pair of PK3s has developed a small 'buzz' on bass-heavy tracks, particularly when it's just bass eg without too much mid and treble noise, like the intro of a dance track, i can hear the buzzing very clearly on every bass thud...

is there any way to fix these, or is this the sign of yet another pair of PK3s crapping out on me?

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #698 of 779
I ordered my first pair of PK3 from a reputable seller on eBay a week or so ago. I'd heard about the fragile cable problem that apparently plagues Yuins, but I figured I'd at least get a few months' use out of them, bad cable or not. Today I got them from the mail, and what I have is a bad pair straight out of the box: right channel has a muted sound and no bass.

They do sound pretty good – the one channel that works – and remind me of the AKG K 314 that I was looking to replace. An energetic, in-your-face kind of thing, which I like.

But the durability on these earphones these days is seriously disheartening. I recently went through three pairs of K 314s in seven months, and now these pre-broken Yuins...

I ordered the Senn MX880, hoping the brand name provides at least a bit of safety. Not been a big Senn fan ever, but hopefully that's going to change for the better.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #699 of 779

Quote:
I ordered my first pair of PK3 from a reputable seller on eBay a week or so ago. I'd heard about the fragile cable problem that apparently plagues Yuins, but I figured I'd at least get a few months' use out of them, bad cable or not. Today I got them from the mail, and what I have is a bad pair straight out of the box: right channel has a muted sound and no bass.

They do sound pretty good – the one channel that works – and remind me of the AKG K 314 that I was looking to replace. An energetic, in-your-face kind of thing, which I like.

But the durability on these earphones these days is seriously disheartening. I recently went through three pairs of K 314s in seven months, and now these pre-broken Yuins...

I ordered the Senn MX880, hoping the brand name provides at least a bit of safety. Not been a big Senn fan ever, but hopefully that's going to change for the better.

I got my PK3's a couple of weeks ago. These are pretty amazing buds. I like them better than the Blox TM5. Of course the TM5 was super refined but the PK3 suit my desire for "fun and energetic" sound sig. I use them on my computer at home, they are really great buds.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #700 of 779
Scratch the MX880. Sending the PK3s back for a replacement was a bit costly (the joys of living in a small country with expensive shipping), so I scaled back in price and got the Blox M2C instead. I have a nagging feeling the M2C hype on Head-Fi may be partly marketing-related, but we'll see. Hopefully they have some reasonable build quality, anyways.

As far as the PK3s go, I spent a few minutes today listening to them before I sent them back. Due to the busted right channel it's impossible to say anything accurate about them, but I really dig their sound as far as I hear it. They remind me (vaguely) of the K240 Sextetts, which I also got with a busted channel – the same sort of fun, responsive, slightly harsh sound on both of em. Listening to the start of Russian Circles - Harper Lewis, the drums gave a nice kick, which is vital for that song to sound good. In comparison, my temporary AKG K 315s simply make an echoed mess of it, and the Koss KSC75 are a slight bit too slow. The AKG K 314s do the drums just right, so in that sense I'm really eyeing the PK3s as a replacement for the K 314 (as AKG apparently don't make those anymore, which I can't understand at all, considering how bad the K 315 are).

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #701 of 779
I just got my PK3 few days ago, the sound is really bright and lack of bass, not too fantastic when compare to Portapro's tight bass, and clear high.

Does this pair need some burn in hours to sound good?

So i start to worry am I getting a fake one, however the packaging looks really liek the real deal which i saw from web...
Am i expecting too much?

Will post some macro pics when i have time...and need help from those who has this PK3, TIA.

May 10, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #702 of 779
After months of me telling everyone at work that these earphones rock, someone in the next cube bought a pair. He gushed. So the guys in my cube had a listen and all of em immediately said things like "WOAH... I need a pair" and "I didn't realise how 5h1t my headphones were til i heard them... now i don't wanna listen to mine any more!"

They're all chipping in to save shipping and buying their own (in fact, two guys are buying one pair for home, one for work)

Now they realise why I told em to stupid using  their cr4ppy iBuds! :)

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #704 of 779
So I got my first pair of Pk3's yesterday and after being a little disappointed at first, now after roughly 20 hours of burning in I must say: Wow! I usually listen through AKG K271 headphones and while there is of course quite a difference between them and the Yuins, it's suprising how much detail those little Pk3s offer.

Secondly: I already made a thread about that, but since nobody answered I give it another try in here. The plug issue. Is there anyone (maybe some of the guys who got the Pk3s when this thread started back in the day) who can provide some information about how Yuin changed the plugs over time or how they looked when they first came out? I always stumble over the pics where there's a double cord connected to the plug. Were those the first gen units? I just asking because mine have a single cable that's just slightly wider than the ones that lead to the buds and I'm wondering if that's the new design or the old one.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #705 of 779
I just have to chime in on these buds. I came very late to this party, but I'm glad I did. An amazingly fun and engaging cheap thrill! I had several brands of earbuds from a few years ago, and settled on the good old Sony MDRE828LP for durability, convenience, and acceptable sound. Never really wanted to use them much, always preferring my SR80 phones at home. But the PK3s have changed my mind about what earbuds can sound like - actually like real headphones. Not quite Grado sound, but still fun, good for all kinds of music. You have to get a decent fit, though, and I settled on using one bud with cable wrapped over ear, the other down. Works well for me.

I don't want to know how first-ear how much better other earbuds can sound; it would be a wallet-mugging.

So far no problems with durability at all. So far.

Now I have to give IEMs another chance. The PK3 is so inspiring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back