Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #722 of 779
Anybody know if the Mosound US eBay shop sells legit Yuin's? Looking to get a PK3 or PK2. And is it true that there's a Y-cord PK3?.. Because that's what they have on hand.

And if I'm getting the PK3, is the DIY custom-cabled one the way to go?

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #723 of 779
I bought the DIY PK3 and DIY PK2 and am happy with both.  Less expensive then standard price, better quality cable and plug, nice custom work including reinforcement of the cable where it's attached to the plug, seems more durable overall, and sounds at least as good if not better than the original.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #724 of 779
Just stopped by to say... I ordered a pair of these a long time go off of Amazon, when they were $25, based on the reviews there. And when I put them in, I was totally blown away. I had no idea that earbuds could sound like that. I blame these headphones singlehandedly for my transition to being a headphones nerd and entry-level audiophile.

They've since gone through the washer/dryer a couple times when I left them in a shirt pocket, and they're still holding together. Good stuff.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #725 of 779
Quote:
I bought the DIY PK3 and DIY PK2 and am happy with both.  Less expensive then standard price, better quality cable and plug, nice custom work including reinforcement of the cable where it's attached to the plug, seems more durable overall, and sounds at least as good if not better than the original.

Did you also own the original cable versions before getting the DIY ones?

Is the PK2 worth double the price or the PK3 is almost the same but just a little bit less refined?

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #726 of 779
Quote:

Did you also own the original cable versions before getting the DIY ones?

Is the PK2 worth double the price or the PK3 is almost the same but just a little bit less refined?

I do own the original cable versions but prior to getting the DIY versions (only recently), I had been listening to the OK2's almost exclusively.  I haven't spent the time to directly compare the original Yuins to the DIY's.  However, I can say that I liked the OK2's over the orig. PK2's, but now think I prefer listening to the DIY PK2's.

It's difficult to say if the PK2's are worth double the price of the PK3's... for everyone.  It's worth it for me, but may not be for others.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #728 of 779
Decided to go for the PK3's with the DIY cable. I've read around and have seen many people having problems with the quality of the stock cable.

Hopefully, this'll serve as a formidable replacement to my 10+ year old MX400's! 
ksc75smile.gif

Now, the 2-3 week wait starts!

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #729 of 779
Just got my DIY cable PK3's.

Very satisfied with how it sounds! Currently have the donut foams on. I tried the fully covered foams but they recessed the mids/highs for me. (Now I gotta find a way to replicate those donut foams 
rolleyes.gif
)

It's kind of similar sounding to my decade-old Sennheiser MX400's but the whole spectrum is overall better.

Bass is plentiful although a bit boomy but I'm not all that bothered by it since there's only so much you can ask for a driver of this size.

It has definitely piqued my curiosity as to what the PK2 and PK1 sound like.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #730 of 779
I've finally had a chance to try these amped. Just got a FIIO e11 and these sound even more amazing. I just can't get over the sound coming out of these little buds.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #731 of 779
Hey all, first post from a long time lurker...

I also bought the DIY PK2 and PK3s from the same seller. I no longer own my originals but to my memory they sound the same, so I'm very happy and hopeful that they last longer than my old buds.

However there's another seller (audiothinker) with DIY PK1s for $73 (£47) including shipping which judging from the photos are exactly the same as atop_authentic_auction's - pailiccs plug etc.- has anyone bought from audiothinker?  

The price seems so ridiculous I'm tempted to take a punt on them, even though I expect to receive fakes or PK3s being passed off as PK1s!

This is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-buy-hifi-Earphone-diy-on-YUIN-PK1-for-audiophile-beat-beats-Sennheiser-IE7-/111005446812?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item19d870b29c

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #732 of 779
Update - received the DIY PK1 and am very happy with them. I've never listened to PK1s but these are a definite step up from both the DIY and original PK2+PK3s - they seems to incorporate the best elements from both. Again I'm not sure these are 100% the same as normal PK1s but they fit the described sound signature and are different earbuds completely when amped, which lead me to be believe they are genuine.

All in all I'm just glad an eBay gamble paid off for once.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #733 of 779
I buy second PK3 with this better teflon cable and they are ok, only cable is too short i think. Anyway, bass in earphones died after +- three months of use. So its same very bad quality.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #734 of 779
Just received my DIY PK3s. Out of the box they sound quite good (maybe ever so slightly brighter than my previous PK3s, which broke). I have mixed feelings about the new cable though. It definitely feels like it'll be more durable than the stock cable, but it is noticeably heavier/stiffer and a bit microphonic.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #735 of 779
I can't believe it. Back when I bought and modded my Sennheiser HD280s, they were going for around $200.

These cost me $40 in Australia, and wow. I think I liek these better than my senns, better than my monoprice 8320s, and better than my modded JVC HARX 700.

The foam pads used make a BIG DIFFERENCE. There's 3 different types. One with a small hole in the foam, one with a large, and one with none. Each type attenuates the sound differently, and you can make the headphones suit to taste. I'm 100% certain these aren't supposed to be heard without any of the foam fittings. Make sure to fit one of the supplied foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back