Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #677 of 779

Quote:
I bought 2 pairs from head-fi and one from ebay.

Dan it looks like you got a good set - i've had no problems with that cable on my ok3.

edit: and there goes the right speaker in my PK3's.

Ah! That stinks! Another pair going, I mean.

I suppose I was lucky. I remember reading a post, perhaps here on Head-fi, about Yuin changing the plugs on the PK3 after complaints about the bad quality. That must have been 1 year ago or perhaps even longer. Perhaps some sellers still have older PK3 that they want to get rid of?

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #678 of 779
Just had my second pair break on me yesterday.  Both lasted about 6 months.  I bought both from head-direct.  Both of them had the right bud die.  One one hand, maybe I don't treat them the best.  I get to school and shove them right in my pocket, so that probably puts a lot of strain around the jack.  On the other hand, whatever!  I don't think I've had a set that is this fragile.   

Guess I've learned my lesson.  Love PK3 sound, but these things are built like crap and I don't want to spend $40 every six months getting them.  Back to some cheap MX400s for me.  

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #679 of 779
Haha.  I almost had a similar experience with these too.  My right side started getting really quiet after a few months of use in the office.

I got the Sennheiser MX471 about a month ago, and at first it felt like the bass was lacking.  I was really disappointed and missed the PK3s.  ~2 weeks ago, I'm not sure what happened, but the bass finally opened up and finally I don't miss the PK3s finally.

Oct 1, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #680 of 779
Same here----two pairs of PK3's broke on me. Threw the first pair away. I going to try and fix the second pair on a cold winter day with nothing to do. I bought the MX471's but they don't fit right no matter what I do.I have the MX 580's on the way. Should get here tomorrow. Gonna give the Sunrise AS-Feeling a try when available.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #681 of 779
Man I haven't posted here in forever. I have had a pair of PK3's for about 3 years now, however since they are the originals, they are a J Cord, which I really don't like.

Based on the problems with these guys lately, is it worth my while to sell my J-Cords and pick up a pair of Y-Cords, or should I just suffer with what I have. I really love these buds, use them most of the time in my portable setups, but the J-Cord is really a pain. Did Yuin make a Y-Cord version that didn't have problems?

And is the problem limited to where the cord enters the plug? If so, it should be something I could resolder easily if it broke. I have honestly been thinking of cutting my J-Cord by my left earbud to solder an entension in to make it match the right side.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #682 of 779

Quote:
Man I haven't posted here in forever. I have had a pair of PK3's for about 3 years now, however since they are the originals, they are a J Cord, which I really don't like.

Based on the problems with these guys lately, is it worth my while to sell my J-Cords and pick up a pair of Y-Cords, or should I just suffer with what I have. I really love these buds, use them most of the time in my portable setups, but the J-Cord is really a pain. Did Yuin make a Y-Cord version that didn't have problems?

And is the problem limited to where the cord enters the plug? If so, it should be something I could resolder easily if it broke. I have honestly been thinking of cutting my J-Cord by my left earbud to solder an entension in to make it match the right side.

Maybe time for a recable and a sexy new mini-plug? 
ksc75smile.gif

The good folks in the diy forum will doubtlessly be able to make recommendations.

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #683 of 779
just came on here to post that my second pair of pk3s crapped out after less than a month. the first didn't last much longer.

i kept them entirely in the case when i wasn't using them and used the full foam pads when running. gave them a good wipe down and clean after excercise to make sure there was no build up of residual crap. the other day, popped them on, sound horribly bloated, no detail, sound like $2 shop jobs. got them home, cleaned them again, gave them a gentle blow, and now they are completely fsked. all tinny, quiet, no bass, utterly beyond repair.

now i gotta send them back to china for a replacement, looking at another 6 week turnaround after i waited for my initial order. great. so far the great sound quality these offer hasn't been enough to justify the crappy build quality and waiting around.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #684 of 779
*bump up from the depths of head-fi*

These little ear buds were on my Christmas list this year and I am happy to say that I received them.  

I am very impressed thus far.  This may just be the new tracks I am listening to though...  

Dec 25, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #685 of 779
It has been about a year since I've had a pair of pk3's and I really do miss them. They simply sound outstanding for a standard earbud design. Probably one of my favorite pieces of portable sound equipment that I've owned. However, I haven't had much luck with the test of time with the pk3's. I really take care of my headphones/earphones, but both my pairs of pk3's failed to last a year (10 months and 6 months). I can't see myself picking up another pair anytime soon, but I just wanted to chip in on how great they sound. If I had the money to spare, I'd gladly pick up another set of pk3's to be my portable non-isolating earphone of choice.

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #686 of 779
The first day I got these, I was blown away, like many others here. The second day, I still was. The night after that, I left my laptop on to burn them in. The day after that, it didn't put a smile on my face, the bass was gone, volume almost halved, just way worse than before. They didn't sound distorted on a high volume either, so I'm not sure if that damaged them. Any idea what might have happened here?

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #687 of 779
Hi everyone,

I just got my pair of PK3s - I do like the sound quality but I really was expecting more bass. I thought these were quite bassy, but even with the foam covers on I find the bass at the very most "balanced" - not that extra bit of kick I was hoping for.

Can anyone recommend a pair of similar earbuds (I want earbuds only please!) that offer something similar in clarity and quality but with a bit of extra bass?

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #690 of 779

I bought them (new) off eBay - but surely there are no fake Yuin PK3s out there? The brand is way to obscure!

Beside they certainly look legit compared to photos, comes with the box, cylinder case, 6 foam covers etc. 

These really don't have that much bass. With the foam covers on they are reasonably balanced, but there is not kick to it!

Quote:
Extra bass? Where did you order them from? I think you either got a defective set or a fake set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back