Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
May 19, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #526 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree they are not 5x better. I have owned PK1, PK2, and PK3. PK1 is definitely 2x if not 3x better than the PK3. Not 5x though.

Only have the PK3, but from what I have read the PK1 is the same as the PK3 without an amp. I am sure you are basing your 2 to 3 times better off amped performance.

@ramennn - the PK2 has a different sound signature, less bass, more accurate than the PK3.

May 31, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #529 of 779
Head-Direct is the global rep for PKs, and does ship global. Not sure if Head-Room does, and not even sure if they stock the PK3s. Also don't know of any non-U.S. PK dealers, but sure there are some. Does Jaben.net sell them?

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #531 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you get these donut pads on? They don't seem to have an inside opening.
confused.gif

time to use your scissors
normal_smile .gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #532 of 779
After searching for some quality/budget 'phones that fit my needs I'm finally satisfied with the PK3s! Couple of quick questions about them:

- How much burn-in time did it take before you guys felt they had reached their max burn-in time needed?

- My package came with 3 pairs of foam covers. 1 pair is the obvious normal covers that cover the entire bud speaker. However, the other two pairs are "donuts." I have found I get a better sound with the "donuts." Here is what I'm wondering, is there anything differentiating the "donut" covers? Or does Yuin just provide two pair of "donut" covers. In other words, I have 4 individual foam "donut" covers. Are they all the same or do they have a specific pairing?

- This question is more about the general way to wear earbuds. I always thought, and this may or may not be the case, the stem of the ear bud was supposed to point down or at a small diagonal angle forward. However, with the PK3s I get a better fit and sound by having the stems pointing completely forward. Is there a certain way to wear them? Or is it all about whats the best fit/sound per person?

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #534 of 779
So I received my Yuin PK3s today from Head-Direct. What can I say about these things... Hoooooooly crap! They rock! I purchased the PK3s as a more portable replacement for two pairs of ailing KSC-75s (en route to Koss for warranty replacement). Even after reading all the positive reviews on this forum, I'm surprised and impressed. The sound coming out of these little buds is amazing.

I tried them first on some Enur without any foam pads, and was impressed with the definition in the highs. Cymbals and snares sound great. In addition, I actually heard some encoding errors that I never heard with my speakers or any other pair of phones I've had. Pretty impressive. Without the pads, the sound is a bit attenuated and lacks bass. But with the pads, oh my. The little foam pads really make these things jam. The low end immediately opened up -- it was like listening to a totally different pair of phones. Wow.

I was also impressed with the fit of the PK3s. Most earbuds and IEMs hurt the hell out of my ears, but so far these are extremely comfortable. With the foam pads, they fit snugly without causing discomfort. I've been dancing around my room (as is my wont) and they haven't budged. So far so good.

Right now I'm jamming some Girl Talk, and I'm just blown away. The sound quality and definition are great. I mainly listen to a lot of jazz and rap, with a little bit of rock thrown in. I haven't tested them on jazz yet, but I'm going to throw on some Coltrane in a moment, and I'm expecting stellar results. They handle Girl Talk's hip-hop-driven mixing very well, and I'm expecting that to carry over to the complex texture of the jazz I like.

Okay, I've gushed enough in my first post. These things are just really great. I can't say enough good things about them. EVERYone should own a pair of these.

Edit: A little more. Okay, wow, these are AMAZING for jazz. The detail in the percussion really comes out, and the sound stage is surprisingly large! This is sick. I'm in love. Unfortunately, I can fully appreciate the high-pitched hiss that pervades my entire Giant Steps CD.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #535 of 779
Instead of starting a new thread, maybe I can get some help in this one...

My PK3's absolutely rock.. love 'em. BUT sadly I think there is something wrong with one of them =(
When I am inserting it, I sometimes here this crackly sound (music is playing but it's NOT loud and NOT distortion). It sounds like some papery-thin material inside the 'phone is getting pushed/pulled as I insert the headphone.

The sound quality IS affected by this. Sometimes when I release the earphone in my ear, I hear the crackle and the sound is a bit 'muffled'. If I tap it, or wiggle it a little bit, I'll hear the crackle again and the sound will 'open up' and get brighter (pretty sure this is the "correct" state of the earphone).

I can say with as much certainty as reasonably possible that this is NOT distortion and it is NOT the cable.

Any thoughts? My poor PK3s... and unfortunately my 3-month warranty has passed (I think I got them 4 mos ago).

Thanks for any help!

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #536 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My PK3's absolutely rock.. love 'em. BUT sadly I think there is something wrong with one of them =(
When I am inserting it, I sometimes here this crackly sound (music is playing but it's NOT loud and NOT distortion). It sounds like some papery-thin material inside the 'phone is getting pushed/pulled as I insert the headphone.

The sound quality IS affected by this. Sometimes when I release the earphone in my ear, I hear the crackle and the sound is a bit 'muffled'. If I tap it, or wiggle it a little bit, I'll hear the crackle again and the sound will 'open up' and get brighter (pretty sure this is the "correct" state of the earphone).

I can say with as much certainty as reasonably possible that this is NOT distortion and it is NOT the cable.

Any thoughts? My poor PK3s... and unfortunately my 3-month warranty has passed (I think I got them 4 mos ago).

Thanks for any help!

Sorry to hear that your PK3's are not working well. I've had mine since beginning of March and they are still pumping with my frequent use. I use them almost everyday and I'm still amazed at their sound. I would suggest you send head direct an email and see if they can help you fix them. I don't know if they will replace them for you especially if you are out of warranty but its worth a try to see if they can perhaps help you in a quick fix if possible. If they can't be fixed, try getting another pair. Will be hard pressed to get a great pair of head sets at the price point of the PK3's though, lol.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #538 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for any help!

I get that crackling sometimes with my OK1. But doesn't affect sound quality coming out of it. Sorry to hear that your PK3 isn't functioning properly but the best thing to do is contact Fang at head-direct. Outstanding customer service from him, some of the best customer experience i've dealt with and if you explain the situation to him, I'm sure he'll be nice enough to replace them.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #539 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Greg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After searching for some quality/budget 'phones that fit my needs I'm finally satisfied with the PK3s! Couple of quick questions about them:

- How much burn-in time did it take before you guys felt they had reached their max burn-in time needed?

- My package came with 3 pairs of foam covers. 1 pair is the obvious normal covers that cover the entire bud speaker. However, the other two pairs are "donuts." I have found I get a better sound with the "donuts." Here is what I'm wondering, is there anything differentiating the "donut" covers? Or does Yuin just provide two pair of "donut" covers. In other words, I have 4 individual foam "donut" covers. Are they all the same or do they have a specific pairing?

- This question is more about the general way to wear earbuds. I always thought, and this may or may not be the case, the stem of the ear bud was supposed to point down or at a small diagonal angle forward. However, with the PK3s I get a better fit and sound by having the stems pointing completely forward. Is there a certain way to wear them? Or is it all about whats the best fit/sound per person?

AZ Greg - 1) if I remember back 8 months when I bought my PK3, I think I let them burn in for about 48 hours or so.
2) I have used both the full cover and donut pads, and TBH, I can only hear tiny improvement in clarity with the donut pads. The full pads give me a more secure fit -- but I swap them around every now an then.
3) I wear my PK3 like all other earbuds I have, with the stem pointing down in the slot in my lower ear below the tragus (bump next to the ear canal) and above the ear lobe.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #540 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was about to spend $130 on some Klipsch custom-3s but figured I would see what all the fuss is about and bought some PK3s, can't wait to hear them!

prepare to be amazed... your wallet will thank you too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back