Yuin PK3 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #196 of 779
If there's one weak point about the PK3 it's the cable.

Frankly, it's terrible. It always seems to snag on the collar of my shirt. Which means that as I turn my head the cable tries to pull the earbud out of my ear.

Recently I started noticing that it was getting worse and not better. My PK3 cables have become quite stuff, particularly on the section joining the right earbud. It remains curled permanently in a semi-looped position that snags even easier than before.

(I generally loop the PK3s around my hand before stashing them in my pocket - possibly better care might have prevented the cable deterioration in the first place...)

Anyway, has anyone else noticed this? If so does anyone have any recommendations about how to fix it?

Ideally I'd like to find a a cheap recabler for these headphones - but I'm not sure such an operation can be justified given the very low purchase price.

Suggestions?

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #197 of 779
The quality of the cables, IMHO, is subpar, considering the price (I own a Y-cord PK2, and the build material is the same with PK3 I think). I handle it gently, keep it in a pouch and never wear them when I know I'll be sweating. Also, I keep my hands clean all the time. I think I take good care of it - unless I'm supposed to wear gloves when touching the PK2 and wear a balaclava so that not a single point of the cable contacts my skin.

And recabling is actually justified because there are people with recabled KSC75s. It's the SQ, not the price, that matters.

I've PM'ed APureSound and they said they don't recable earbuds.

BUT, if you're the adventurous sort, or the cord has finally broken and you don't want to wait and see how the problem can be dealt with through warranty, you can try recabling them yourself.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #198 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by huhwhat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quality of the cables, IMHO, is subpar, considering the price (I own a Y-cord PK2, and the build material is the same with PK3 I think). I handle it gently, keep it in a pouch and never wear them when I know I'll be sweating. Also, I keep my hands clean all the time. I think I take good care of it - unless I'm supposed to wear gloves when touching the PK2 and wear a balaclava so that not a single point of the cable contacts my skin.

Simply put, if you take care of your equipment, it'll take care of you
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #199 of 779
Well, if 'take care' is in the Godfather sense where a prison guard is paid to beat me up every night, then yeah, that's how I feel my PK2 is treating me right now.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #200 of 779
Just received my PK3s tonight, and they sound great, but I was a bit disappointed to find that mine had a Y-Cord, and not a J-Cord. I know most of you will think I'm crazy, but as I run with the headphones, I much prefer the J-Cord. I emailed head-direct (where I purchased the headphones from), but they informed me just now that they've run out of J-Cord PK3s and have now started shipping Y-Cord PK3s exclusively.

Therefore, I was wondering if someone might be interested in trading their J-Cord PK3s for my brand new Y-Cord PK3s. I'm not looking to be a jerk about it, but since mine are brand new, I'd probably only be interested in trading with someone who got their PK3s in the past 3 months or so. Please PM me if you're interested in trading.

Thank you.

-Scott

Feb 4, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #201 of 779
Hi all. I need some advice.
Does PK3 sound boomy ?
I like bass, but certainly don't like it to be excessive like Koss Spark Plug.
I have Panasonic HJE-50 in-ear, but also disappointed with its muffled sound.
Finally I settled with Creative EP-480 (that usually comes with Zen Micro). The sound is clear, open although the bass is a little under my expectation.

I like my headphone sound a litte airy, wide soundstage, clear, good bass (not boomy). Is PK3 for me ?

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #202 of 779
Soundstage is not wide, considering it's an earbud but it is better than most earbuds except its higher end siblings. It does sound airy for sure. The bass is not boomy even though the amount of bass for an earbud is amazing. It's capable of being tight but the bass cannot go very low. The overall sound is somewhat like a grado, with less highs

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #205 of 779
Quote:

The bass is not boomy even though the amount of bass for an earbud is amazing.

Exactly. If your DAP has a good EQ, you can EQ some deep bass out of them and they respond VERY well to it.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #206 of 779
On some songs with mine drums really sound out. It is like all of a sudden I have tremendous bass. I mean it is not the best I have ever heard but it is real surprising considering I am listening to an earbud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. If your DAP has a good EQ, you can EQ some deep bass out of them and they respond VERY well to it.

Feb 17, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #210 of 779
^I agree, which is why I'm glad to have had a J-cord, but have to replace it as it's fraying at both ends (the split and the jack). I'll mod some y's in to j's from a longer sony cord I have laying around, and the length is *perfect*, and all I'd have to do is cut down the second channel's wire (left one, in my case) by just a bit, tailored perfectly to my neck-width. Hopefully it'll go well (the job's easy enough, only my soldering skills could use some work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back