Yuin PK1's
Apr 8, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #31 of 49
Yuin has introduced the OK series, named the OK1,2 and 3. They differ from the PK series in that the drivers have been modified to accept a tube with tips which converts them into an IEM.

Due to the different design of the driver housing face, bass response has been improved in all three models. The OK 2 and 3 are low impedance and can be very easily driven without an external amp, whereas the OK1 definitely needs amplification.

Soundwise, they all sound very good. The OK3 seems to have the most bass, and brighter highs, the OK2 is nicely balanced, probably my favorite, and the OK1 seems to have more enhanced spatial properties (surround sound effect?). The OK2 sounds most like the PK1, if I can make a comparison.

I personally think they sound better as buds rather than IEMs, but that would be open to subjective opinions. Certainly the isolation is better, but part of the porting is unusused in this configuration, with a loss of bottom end impact.

The PK series, as I understand, will be continued, and the pricing of the OK will be interleaved with the PKs ...ie: PK3-OK3-PK2-OK2 etc.

I will post a full review and comparisons after I have a chance to fully evaluate them all.

I imagine that Head-Direct will post details when the phones become available, as I am just a beta-tester.

I think there is little doubt that the Yuin buds are currently the pinnacle of earbud technology.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #32 of 49
I'm really interested in OK series phones as well. I heard a few people saying that OK2 kicks PK1's butt but I do think PK1 is a really nice phone. It'll be very interesting to hear the difference between PK and OK series.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ER4 Lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about compare PK1 to B&O A8s?

I have both and prefer the PK1 when amped and A8 unamped. However I like the PK2 unamped better than the A8

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested in OK series phones as well. I heard a few people saying that OK2 kicks PK1's butt but I do think PK1 is a really nice phone. It'll be very interesting to hear the difference between PK and OK series.

The OK2 is quite similar in sound to the PK1, but with better bass response. It is also much easier driven. The PK1 might have just a bit better definition in the high end.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #35 of 49
how about OK1 compared with PK1?
does the difference in SQ is significant enough to upgrade?

Apr 8, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #36 of 49
I haven't found anything better than the PK1s yet, and I'm eagerly awaiting the release the OK series.

The bass in the PK1 is there, just not as powerful or as impact-ful as the bass IEMs or canalphones can deliver, since earbuds don't really form a seal (a problem with most open headphone design). But it's not a problem for me, since I'm not a basshead.

And every time I think how often I find its sound quality comparable to full-sized headphones, such as my MDR-V6, in a form factor which I find the most comfortable to wear*, I have a content smile on my face.

*: Although most people hate earbuds because they fall out of their ears, earbuds cling on to my ears just fine as long as I'm not bobbing my head.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #39 of 49
You know, it's funny. At the old price of $139, I was contemplating getting a pair for listening to music at the office, as I find the cords from regular headphones often get in the way and I've been using the Bose IE's for that purpose. But, when I realized the price had jumped to $159 plus the 10 bucks or so for shipping, making it realistically a $170 earbud...my headphone cords seem less bothersome. And since I don't really listen to music much on-the-go, I think I'll hold off on the PK1's for a wee bit longer.

I'm listening to a pair of Grado 225's driven by the Hornet for now. The placement of the system has the wire going to my side, rather than toward the front, which makes it much easier to work.

I've ordered a pair of AudioEngine2's for the desktop. They should be here Friday so by next week, if I don't want something on my head, I'll have (hopefully) great sound coming from these speakers.

Thanks for all your input and insight.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #40 of 49
OK2 yields to PK1 in overall SQ, while may outperform it on some songs if both are unamped. With regards to bass impact - PK1 is bassier.

Apr 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #41 of 49
But OK2 bests PK1 in terms of bass quality (not a lot though) and yields only to OK1 and CM700 in speed and accuracy of bass.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #42 of 49
I think, after about 250 hours of playing real music with various genres, it has fully burned in now. The biggest change was how the bass developed from non-existence into totally listenable, though lacking in impact, natural bass. It's perfectly listenable to some classical music now.

After fiddling with EQ settings a bit, I found out that the problem was the lower mid/upper bass rather than lower bass. PK1's bass goes pretty deep but with the recessed upper bass, it was very hard to notice until I jacked up the upper bass a bit then everything became nice and shiny.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #43 of 49
^ Just did a tone sweep and the PK1 is perceptually quite flat from 120hz to about 40hz. There's no recession in the bass anywhere. I suspect there's a fit issue (maybe I'm lucky enough to get an excellent seal because I get lots of excellent bass from them, compared to GS1000 and TakeT H2).

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Just did a tone sweep and the PK1 is perceptually quite flat from 120hz to about 40hz. There's no recession in the bass anywhere. I suspect there's a fit issue (maybe I'm lucky enough to get an excellent seal because I get lots of excellent bass from them, compared to GS1000 and TakeT H2).

I don't know if you can really relate tones to a real music. In music you have various instruments affecting each other's sound and resonance therefore any instrument's sound may be overpowered by other sound depending on characteristics of the drivers. My PK1's bass sounded sort of overpowered by highs but not by much. Bass is adequate now that it's burned in about 250 hours (and counting, I'm listening to it as I speak). Personally -I listen to mostly Rock and Classical- I think it's still lacking in impact and presence. When I adjusted eq around 20 it really didn't do much. It actually made it worse. It was muddy and distorted. But when I stepped up around 40-100, it sounded totally different. It is punch and deep. To me, it's just the perfect sound I wanted, well, maybe not perfect, but close.

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if you can really relate tones to a real music. In music you have various instruments affecting each other's sound and resonance therefore any instrument's sound may be overpowered by other sound depending on characteristics of the drivers. My PK1's bass sounded sort of overpowered by highs but not by much. Bass is adequate now that it's burned in about 250 hours (and counting, I'm listening to it as I speak). Personally -I listen to mostly Rock and Classical- I think it's still lacking in impact and presence. When I adjusted eq around 20 it really didn't do much. It actually made it worse. It was muddy and distorted. But when I stepped up around 40-100, it sounded totally different. It is punch and deep. To me, it's just the perfect sound I wanted, well, maybe not perfect, but close.

If you're talking about whether there is or isn't a recession in the frequency response, then yes, you can relate tone sweeps to music.

If you're listening to rock and classical and you're not getting impactful bass then either you don't have a decent seal (I use that word loosely) or you prefer a very boosted upper bass. I personally listen to lots of bass oriented music and the PK1's bass is very impactful indeed. And this is coming from someone who's used to the H2's bass, which has some of the most impactful bass of any headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back