Yuin PK1's
Apr 27, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #46 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Just did a tone sweep and the PK1 is perceptually quite flat from 120hz to about 40hz. There's no recession in the bass anywhere. I suspect there's a fit issue (maybe I'm lucky enough to get an excellent seal because I get lots of excellent bass from them, compared to GS1000 and TakeT H2).

The bass is on par with the GS1K?!?! Wow! I haven't used headphones at the office since getting the AudioEngine 2's, but now these just might be back on the ol' radar.

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass is on par with the GS1K?!?! Wow! I haven't used headphones at the office since getting the AudioEngine 2's, but now these just might be back on the ol' radar.

The GS1k goes deeper than the PK1, but the bass definition between them is close - PK1 might be a little better. I wish I could head-to-head them now but I recently sold my GS1k, however, by memory they were close. And this is with the PK1 driven straight from my soundcard (Juli@) and the GS1k was from a balanced M^3.

I've noticed different people seem to get a different sound from the PK1, and I strongly suspect this has to do with the different ear and ear-canal shapes. I happen to get impactful, defined and fairly deep bass out of them, but YMMV.

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #48 of 49
Quote:

If you're talking about whether there is or isn't a recession in the frequency response, then yes, you can relate tone sweeps to music.

I was actually talking about harmony in music. When you have three different notes playing at the same time, what you get is not three different notes, you get a totally different sounding chord. Tone sweep will tell you the capability of phones reproduction of frequencies which will change constantly in real music. You can have a pretty flat area in any frequency range but if there's another frequency range that's more prominent then when they're played together, the previous frequency range may sound recessed even though it's really not. Granted, I don't have any professional tools to verify this theory so you can take this with a grain of salt.

Quote:

If you're listening to rock and classical and you're not getting impactful bass then either you don't have a decent seal (I use that word loosely) or you prefer a very boosted upper bass. I personally listen to lots of bass oriented music and the PK1's bass is very impactful indeed. And this is coming from someone who's used to the H2's bass, which has some of the most impactful bass of any headphone.

Maybe, but I've had countless earphones/earbuds in the past and I've had no fit problems with them and I do have pretty good fit with PK1 too, it's really tight and snug. I think the difference comes from each other's taste in music. I don't really like bloated bass in music, it just don't sound natural. I like it to have full and impactful sound but not overpowering and by doing what I did, it became more natural and balanced whereas it souned sort of recessed against other frequency ranges without the change.

By all means, you can disagree to whatever I said. My findings about PK1 is totally within my signature of sound. I am no audiophile. I don't have golden ears. I just enjoy good things in life.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: BTW, I use donut foams on my PK1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back