Yuin PK1's
Apr 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 49
I'm a fan of the PK1s, and am pretty hopeful of hearing head-direct's newer offerings at CanJam. Since a lot of folks will be there, maybe we can get some good comparisons. The OKs look more like canalphones to me as well.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the OK's more of a "canalphone" versus an "earbud"? From the picture I've seen, they appear that way.

They are canalphone/earbud. The tubes are detatchable so that when you connect it it's a canalphone and w/o it it's an earbud. As far as I know they don't offer a great deal of isolation but does keep some outside noise to a minimum.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the OK's more of a "canalphone" versus an "earbud"? From the picture I've seen, they appear that way.

The nozzle of the OK's series are removable, so you can use them as earbud.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are canalphone/earbud. The tubes are detatchable so that when you connect it it's a canalphone and w/o it it's an earbud. As far as I know they don't offer a great deal of isolation but does keep some outside noise to a minimum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nozzle of the OK's series are removable, so you can use them as earbud.

Got it. Thank you.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 49
PK1 is great, IMO sometimes comparable to a full size headphone in the term of clarity and soundstage. Their signature sound is kinda like HD650, a bit warm. Bass is controlled but not as much as HD650 in quantity, they're great for classical IMO. They're quite a bargain for 130$ i think
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw. i tested them with an Ibasso D1 amp, YMMV.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #21 of 49
To me it sounds more like HD595; it's brighter and lacks lower end. I was kinda surprised how much they sound alike.

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me it sounds more like HD595; it's brighter and lacks lower end. I was kinda surprised how much they sound alike.

Maybe you're right, but i've never heard HD595 so i don't know but it got some sennheiser sound isn't it?

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 49
YES-Sir-EEEE... in my book.
Amped with a good source they're even better. I've been in lurk mode since the outage in November, but I still find them smooth, very fast, detailed and balanced. A little bass shy below ~35Hz, but very good bass impact above that, without being over-bassy. IMHO they excel in quiet environments where you can really hear their sonic attributes.

During the hot summer months I prefer them over my RS1 and A250, while listening at home and not needing isolation. They are the only headphones I have worn that physically "disappear" while using... I can't even feel them in my ears.

FWIW I use them with a modded Entech DAC + Larocco PPA with diamond buffer module, I plug multiple CD sources into the entech and toggle between them all using the DACs source selector.

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 49
I would agree with outbreak123 that it goes well with classical and rock. I don't find it suiting for R&B, hip hop or Vocal music.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #25 of 49
Bass of PK1 is strong enough

I wonder why someone finds PK1 to be bass-shy. I hear plenty of bass, no less than from HD650. Earbuds bass is very dependable on fit, so do your best to improve it. Try different cushions for better fit, check my recommendation on cushions.

PK1 does not require an amp

Sure, PK1 performs much better with amp. But it does pretty well straight of iPod also (not Shuffle). I can not agree with those who say that PK2 is better unamped.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wonder why someone finds PK1 to be bass-shy. I hear plenty of bass, no less than from HD650. Earbuds bass is very dependable on fit, so do your best to improve it. Try different cushions for better fit, check my recommendation on cushions.

As an open 'phone and earbud, PK1 isn't really bass shy. However, one would consider it as bass shy if (s)he is accustomed to the sound of IEM like CX300 or EP-630, which kick out a lot more bass impact then any earbud.
Quote:

Sure, PK1 performs much better with amp. But it does pretty well straight of iPod also (not Shuffle). I can not agree with those who say that PK2 is better unamped.

That is fine if you are using a DAP with 12mW (or greater) output. But If you are using a PCDP with only 5mW output, PK1 won't sound any better than PK2. I think it is really source dependent.

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

As an open 'phone and earbud, PK1 isn't really bass shy. However, one would consider it as bass shy if (s)he is accustomed to the sound of IEM like CX300 or EP-630, which kick out a lot more bass impact then any earbud.

Ah, I see.

Quote:

That is fine if you are using a DAP with 12mW (or greater) output. But If you are using a PCDP with only 5mW output, PK1 won't sound any better than PK2. I think it is really source dependent.

Yes, you are right and very specific. This is why I excluded Shuffle (and iRiver S10). With their weak output PK1 does not sound any better than PK2. I prefer PK2 with Shuffle as ultraportable soultion.

But Nano, 5G, Classic or Cowon D2 have enough power to make PK1 sing really better than PK2. Not enough to discover PK1 full potential, though.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

I understand you may not think it's not bass shy. Everybody has their taste and I certainly do not disagree to that.

That being said, I say it's bass shy because on PK1 I'm missing lower frequencies on bassoon, double bass, bass drum and etc.. It may subject to what kind of genre you listen to but on classical I'm missing some lower notes on PK1 that I can clearly hear on HD650.

Also, I would have to disagree on your statement that PK1's bass is no less than that of HD650. When I'm talking about somethings characteristic, I'm talking about it's natural state without any mods done to it. Now I can put all kinds of foams on my PK1 and make it sound different but that doesn't change the fact that PK1's bass is weak. Heck, I could even put EQ on my ipod and say PK1's bass is strong.

I'm not bashing PK1 here. I'm just talking about the fact. Now that I've burned in my PK1 about 150 hours, I can definitely say that mid has opened up greatly and the bass is more defined and I'm really enjoying it now. But I still don't think it's suitable for bass heavy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back