Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #931 of 1,068
Well I have my classic running through a Mini 3 amp, but to be honest for a quick 'lob in ya bag' set up I don't take it everywhere I go.
cool.gif

I ordered the PK3's for my girlfriend a week ago and they came today (as she doesn't get on with IEM's) and I cheekily had a listen when they came, wow was I impressed, I even took them out, looked at them..'That sound...from these?!'
eek.gif

I've heard that the PK2's are better in the midrange than the PK3's - And for the extra £20 I may aswell get the upgrade, I would actually rather listen casually to buds than IEM's on the go...obviously the only problem is the isolation, I have a pair of Fischer DBA-02s that I've been using on and off for the past few months, I just get fed up of removing them and putting them back in every 15 seconds when someone wants me (as I'm using comply tips) - I'm genuinely thinking about selling them and getting the PK2 and just using my cheaper IEM's for when I NEED the isolation...I just don't want to part with something that sounds so good (DBA's) - I just feel I'm really not using them as much as I should
mad.gif

Gahhhhhhhh.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #932 of 1,068
I lost my PK2's :frowning2: was really happy with them.

I decided to try out PK3's this time - not because they are a bit cheaper, but because they have a little bit more bass.

My question is - how do the PK1's go on an iphone unamped volume wise ? I'd love to get the PK1's but dont want the hassle of carrying around an amp.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #933 of 1,068
for those who think the pk2 has weak bass, you need to give them at least 80 hours burn in and then they have awesome bass, powerful, tunefull and rythmic,better than pk3 bass. around 80 hours soundstage becomes larger and instuments are wonderfully seperated.

pk2 and 1st gen shuffle is a great combo, the extra power of the 1st gen shuffle is welcomed.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #934 of 1,068

I don't think your Iphone alone will do them any justice.  I had a pair for quite a while and finally decided to get rid of them because they were just too power hungry.  Love the sound though.  And the housing was the smallest in the Yuin line so the fit was great.  Just too much juice required.  The soundstage on the PK2 is much bigger than the PK1.  Another decent choice for a bassy earbud is the MX580.  They are crisp and punchy.  But they have a small soundstage especially when compared to the PK2.  I still marvel at the big sound that comes from my PK2's. 

Quote:
I lost my PK2's :frowning2: was really happy with them.

I decided to try out PK3's this time - not because they are a bit cheaper, but because they have a little bit more bass.

My question is - how do the PK1's go on an iphone unamped volume wise ? I'd love to get the PK1's but dont want the hassle of carrying around an amp.

I have several hundred hours on my PK2's and under normal flat settings on any source I find them to be extremely anemic in the bass department.  But you get a little EQ under them or get a powerful player behind them and they really have a lot of bass potential.  A very lowbudget player that I ran into recently brings out some big bass in my PK2.  It's the GoGear Vibe with the FullSound set to On.  Now you are losing detail and crispness in the high notes, but the bass and power really does the PK2 a lot of justice!

Quote:
for those who think the pk2 has weak bass, you need to give them at least 80 hours burn in and then they have awesome bass, powerful, tunefull and rythmic,better than pk3 bass. around 80 hours soundstage becomes larger and instuments are wonderfully seperated.

pk2 and 1st gen shuffle is a great combo, the extra power of the 1st gen shuffle is welcomed.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #936 of 1,068
According to Mike's review here :
http://www.headfonia.com/high-end-earbuds-review/
the Sennheiser MX980 might fit the bill. £77 from Amazon and Play ATM. Bass may well depend on how good a fit you get.

And swbf2cheater's thread looking at some of current contenders :
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531063/quick-guide-comparison-and-ranks-top-10-earbuds

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #938 of 1,068
Hi, Thanks for that but,i would like iems not buds.
Any further thoughts ?
Cheers 
zwanchef

Oops, sorry 'bout that. Wonder if it's worth starting a new thread in case you're missing the eyes of most iem enthusiasts here. Could you characterise the PK1s according to ClieOS' criteria?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #939 of 1,068
Hi, Guys
I know you all enjoyed your PK1 or PK2, I am about to purchase a pair of PK1 but just want to know if there are other options with in the price range($200), I don't like IEMs. thanks

May 19, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #940 of 1,068
[size=medium]Ever since buying my house a year ago, I have been enjoying music in my home theater and headphones have not even been on my radar. Prior to that, all my headphone experience was with full size cans.[/size]

[size=medium]Recently, I bought a Sony MP3 Walkman for an upcoming trip and uploaded music into it from my CD collection.[/size]
[size=medium]When I listened to it, three things became obvious:[/size]
[size=medium]1.) I really liked the sound[/size]
[size=medium]2) As good as the sound was, it would definitely benefit from better headphones[/size]
[size=medium]3) The stock earbuds were way more comfortable than any of the full size cans I have tried.[/size]

[size=medium]After that, I started researching earbuds, which led me to the PK series (and ultimately to this thread.)[/size]
[size=medium]Since I didn’t want to spend a lot (I expected these to be just for travel and I don’t travel much), I ordered the PK3s[/size]

[size=medium]Well, the sound just utterly blew me away! I expected merely good, but these things are phenomenal! I knew immediately that if the PK2s are truly better, I had to have them, so I have ordered a pair and anxiously await their arrival.[/size]

[size=medium]Meanwhile, I keep listening to the PK3s, and a paradigm shift of sorts has occurred. I realized that I now listen to them more often than to my HT speakers, and that in some ways I enjoy them more![/size]
[size=medium]This means that I can now justify the purchase of PK1s (or perhaps even OK1s) and an amp in the near future as they will be for home use rather than just on the road.[/size]

[size=medium](I also considered a full-sized headphone based system, but revisiting my ATH-A900s from my apartment days cured me of that idea. They are extraordinarily uncomfortable compared to the “barely there” feel of the PK3s, and a lot less impressive sonically to boot! [/size]
[size=medium]I am put off by the idea of inserting something in my ear canals as well, so earbuds seem like the only option.)[/size]

[size=medium]I have two questions:[/size]
[size=medium]1) Are OK1s worth the price difference over the PK1s[/size]
[size=medium]2) What would be a good portable amp to use (nothing over $100 please, and I don’t need a DAC since the Walkman only has analog out.)[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks! [/size]

May 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #941 of 1,068
Just throwing my 2cents out here....

150+ hrs in with the PK2s paired with a Cowon J3 and for what I bought them for ($40 new) I have had very little to complain about, but there has always been that wondering in the back in my head, how much better can the sound get with Earbuds.  

So I ordered the Sennheiser MX980s and they came today. Over the next few days going to compare the PK2s to the MX980s, but right of the bat if there was one thing I noticed while listening to the MX980s was there is far more "details" in the sound compared to the PK2s by a lot, but at the same time, same kind of sound.  Which brings me thinking to, yes I hear more in the sound as far as the details go, but is it worth spending another $100+ just for that alone.  Only time will tell.

Two big dislikes are the sliver volume control and the huge earbud arms that the earbud is attached to, makes me feel like I am wearing earring's and the Bing Bing impression I get which is a big turn off for me.  Also if you have small ears/ ear canals forget these, the earbud is quite "fat" in thickness and a large speaker area. 

For simple looking, unbelievable sound, you cannot got wrong with the PK2s.  

After I am done with the MX980s I will probably buy a pair of PK1s or maybe OK1s and any other earbud worth buying TM-5, CM700 ( if I can find a pair) or some other Chinese brand that offers excellent sound and worth buying. 

May 19, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #942 of 1,068

Quote:
Hi, Guys
I know you all enjoyed your PK1 or PK2, I am about to purchase a pair of PK1 but just want to know if there are other options with in the price range($200), I don't like IEMs. thanks

I'm in the exact same position. I'm looking at the PK1 vs the Sennheiser MX 980.  As far as IEMs go, there's very little competition in terms of sound stage at this price level right? I'm thinking of IE6/7 vs PK1/MX980

May 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #943 of 1,068

Quote:
Just throwing my 2cents out here....

150+ hrs in with the PK2s paired with a Cowon J3 and for what I bought them for ($40 new) I have had very little to complain about, but there has always been that wondering in the back in my head, how much better can the sound get with Earbuds.  

So I ordered the Sennheiser MX980s and they came today. Over the next few days going to compare the PK2s to the MX980s, but right of the bat if there was one thing I noticed while listening to the MX980s was there is far more "details" in the sound compared to the PK2s by a lot, but at the same time, same kind of sound.  Which brings me thinking to, yes I hear more in the sound as far as the details go, but is it worth spending another $100+ just for that alone.  Only time will tell.

Two big dislikes are the sliver volume control and the huge earbud arms that the earbud is attached to, makes me feel like I am wearing earring's and the Bing Bing impression I get which is a big turn off for me.  Also if you have small ears/ ear canals forget these, the earbud is quite "fat" in thickness and a large speaker area. 

For simple looking, unbelievable sound, you cannot got wrong with the PK2s.  

After I am done with the MX980s I will probably buy a pair of PK1s or maybe OK1s and any other earbud worth buying TM-5, CM700 ( if I can find a pair) or some other Chinese brand that offers excellent sound and worth buying. 

I'm really interested to hear whether you think the Sennheisers are worth the extra $100. I do listen to a lot of alternative/indie where I detailed highs but not I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

May 21, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #944 of 1,068
Well, my PK2s arrived today. Even right out of the box, the sound is all I could have hoped based on the reviews. Could it possibly get even better with burn-in? If so, I am totally stoked!
I decided to act proactively on the breakage issue that some reviewers have reported, so I put a drop of superglue where each cable enters the housing.

While waiting for these, I decided to pick up some full-sized cans after all and ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD595s. After listening to the PK2s, I now wonder if I am going to be dissappointed with the Senns!

The most impressive thing to me is how utterly natural acoustic instruments sound on these. Andreas Vollenweider's masterpiece "Book of Roses", for example, has long beenone of my benchmark recordings and sounds better on these than on anything else I have heard so far!

Add another "wow" to the list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back