Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jun 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #781 of 1,068
Well after listening to the PK1 for a few days, I must say this is one good ear bud overall. I personally cannot live with the weak bass though. Granted I have not burn-in them enough yet. Another issue I have is I am a side sleeper and find this to be uncomfortable to use while sleeping. Does anyone know if head-direct.com offer a return policy?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #782 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after listening to the PK1 for a few days, I must say this is one good ear bud overall. I personally cannot live with the weak bass though. Granted I have not burn-in them enough yet. Another issue I have is I am a side sleeper and find this to be uncomfortable to use while sleeping. Does anyone know if head-direct.com offer a return policy?

I cup my hand and place my ear on top of it when side-sleeping with my PK1s. This works well for me, though I can see how someone might find it uncomfortable.

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #784 of 1,068
Hi there,

Today my PK1 arrived. I was really happy.
But after I have plugged them into my mp3 player I immediately noticed that something is wrong.. right earbud did not play any sound at all :O

I will need to send them back to head direct
frown.gif

UPDATE: Replacement arrived today. Out of the box they sound nothing special but after 2 hours of white noise its better currently listening to bran van 3000 - rose album and I am really surprised by amount and clarity of bass however mids are still kinda nothing special and flat. Ill do some burning in with pink and white noise over night and next days..

UPDATE 2: After some 60 hours of mostly pink noise and last 5 hours of white noise seems like they have come to the break point and they are starting to sound better. TBH this week I had some hard times with them they sounded absolutely crap flat and without details.. seems like today they breaked the point as I have said and all the details just pop out and they do not sound that horrible.. finnaly!
Will keep on updating.

UPDATE 3:They got around 120 hours on them. Sound is more deep, more detailed, the more I listen to them the more I like them and I wanted to sell them in their first week they sounded that bad.

UPDATE 4:200hours - I have no complains at all about SQ! only complains about donut foams they wear off after 2-3 weeks.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #786 of 1,068
I've been wanting to get a pair of Yuins for a while now, just not sure which ones to get. Both have some advantages and disadvantages:

PK2
Pro:
- Allegedly more suitable for rock music, and I listen to a lot of indie rock
- Cheaper
- Don't require an amp, which makes my whole rig much more portable

Con:
- Allegedly less suitable for 'detailed listening', and I happen to listen to a lot of high-detail electronic music
- Simply not 'the best of the two'

PK1
Pro:
- Raving reviews, the best option of the two
- Allegedly very suitable for critical listening (ambient, IDM etc.)

Con:
- More expensive
- Requires an amp

My source is a Fuze, and because of its wonderful form factor I would rather not get an amp to go with it. Unless of course, you guys think it makes a major difference. In that case I would consider a T4. Is it any good with PK1s?

Please help me people
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #788 of 1,068
I was very skeptical when i bought my PK1 i thought that a 160 dollars for an earbud was too much. As i was used to using cheaper quality buds and didnt think that the PK1 would be worth the price.

Luckily someone was selling them used for a 100 shipped so i picked them up and i must say i have not been disappointed. They really do pack such a big sound and they scale up dramatically. Straight out of my zune they are good but nothing amazing.

But from my cd player with the amp3 they are amazing. So detailed and clear they are actually getting more headtime than my HF2 and 780s right now.

The only downside is that i like the amped sound so much i dont think i will use them as portable cans anymore.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #789 of 1,068
The PK1s do benefit a lot from burn-in.
My last (broken) pair had more than 1,000 hours using and sounded stunning with very deep bass.
The one I've just bought new from Head-Direct sounds pretty boring and shallow. Time for another 1,000 hours pink-noise burn-in
tongue.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #790 of 1,068
I am not sure about a 1000 hours but i use them so much i must be around the 400-500 hours of usage. I agree with you about the bass on these buds. I think they are between grados and ultrasone. Like combining the punchiness of grados with the impact of ultrasones. Which results in a very pleasant mixture!

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #791 of 1,068
Long time lurker finally giving his opinion:

Received the PK1 yesterday, and I was in for a big surprice.

I mean; You guys have been singing the little buds praise like hell, but I wasn't prepared for this kind of quality sound from an earbud. The last bud I listened to was the old iBuds...

The sound is sooo open and airy, and the bottom end is really impressive and precise. Being used to the (high) standards of the SE530, I expected more of a drop in overall performance - but as for soundstage and airyness (brighter and less rolled off treble) I feel the PK1 is actually a (slight) improvement so far. Still the Shures are overall a better performer and probably less fatiguing over time, but the Yuins are really impressive performers.

And I still have only a few hours of burn-in done yet. Looking forward to the next 150-200 hours of improvement.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #792 of 1,068
If I ever buy the Yuin PK1, I'd use them unamped, cos I just can't be bothered to carry an amp too!! So does anyone thing its still worth it, Cos I use the PK3 at moment.

PS. I know Yuin PK1 perform best amped!

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #793 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Costanza76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long time lurker finally giving his opinion:

Received the PK1 yesterday, and I was in for a big surprice.

I mean; You guys have been singing the little buds praise like hell, but I wasn't prepared for this kind of quality sound from an earbud. The last bud I listened to was the old iBuds...

And I still have only a few hours of burn-in done yet. Looking forward to the next 150-200 hours of improvement.

The same goes for me... I received my set of PK1's yesterday and right away I was blown away by the great performance these buds deliver! I haven't used them amped yet, but even unamped they are a huge step up from my Super.Fi 5's (listening on my iPhone 3G)!

Right now they have been burnt in with pink noise for about 10 hours and already sound better than they did yesterday... I can't wait to experience the full glory when they reach the 100+ hour mark and when I hook them up to an amp...

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #795 of 1,068
My PK2 are still burning in. Around 75 hrs so far. Sound great but my new TF10 are gettin. The use ATM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back