Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Mar 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #736 of 1,068
Do the PK2's have more bass than the Senn MX300's? I'm considering replacing my friend's MX300's with something better in every way (he's never had really great buds)... I'm torn between the PK3 and the PK2. He's a fan of both hip-hop/good rap, and alternative, so it's difficult.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #737 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the PK2's have more bass than the Senn MX300's? I'm considering replacing my friend's MX300's with something better in every way (he's never had really great buds)... I'm torn between the PK3 and the PK2. He's a fan of both hip-hop/good rap, and alternative, so it's difficult.

IMO, PK2s have close to the amount of bass that the ER4P have.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #738 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, PK2s have close to the amount of bass that the ER4P have.

That's extremely underwhelming. Could anyone comment on what the PK3 bass compares to? And does the PK3's detail suck?

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #739 of 1,068
Quote:

That's extremely underwhelming. Could anyone comment on what the PK3 bass compares to? And does the PK3's detail suck?

The PK3s detail does NOT suck, but I just felt like there was always a veil over the treble. The detail is there, but in NO WAY are they close to being as detailed as the PK1 and PK2, not even close. The bass is awesome, nice and punchy and extends pretty well. The presence is very good yet not boomy at the same time. For your friend's musical inclinations, PK3 would be the OBVIOUS choice between PK2 and PK3. If they are listening to a lot of hiphop/rap and alternative, PK2 will NOT sound good at all with that recessed low end. Of course, all of this is IMO. The PK2's bass is just not present enough, so PK3 would be the worthy choice. Plus they are only $39, buy them now! I have had the PK2s, PK3s, and now I have the PK1s, so I have experience with all of them.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #740 of 1,068
Bought the PK1 after much reading, thought that they were the dag-iest looking headphones, like something cheapy from the $2 shop, but definately not at that bargain price. Bought them anyway. They sound fantastic!!! In terms of Looks vs Sound, it's like a ration of 1000:1.

Got over their looks, they look stealthy. No one going to mug me over these headphones.....

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #741 of 1,068
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PK3s detail does NOT suck, but I just felt like there was always a veil over the treble. The detail is there, but in NO WAY are they close to being as detailed as the PK1 and PK2, not even close. The bass is awesome, nice and punchy and extends pretty well. The presence is very good yet not boomy at the same time. For your friend's musical inclinations, PK3 would be the OBVIOUS choice between PK2 and PK3. If they are listening to a lot of hiphop/rap and alternative, PK2 will NOT sound good at all with that recessed low end. Of course, all of this is IMO. The PK2's bass is just not present enough, so PK3 would be the worthy choice. Plus they are only $39, buy them now! I have had the PK2s, PK3s, and now I have the PK1s, so I have experience with all of them.

IMO, the detail of the PK3's is behind the NE-7 by a decent margin, but the PK3s sound more airy and have a much better overall presentation (I know, PK1 & PK2 thread, but I wanted to comment on what I own). The detail of the PK3 compared to my IE8s is night and day to me. I really like the PK3s for when I want buds when moving around, but for critical listening, I can't use em.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #742 of 1,068
I had to come back to this thread to say after like 5 or 6 months these PK1's still manage to surprise me. Such beautiful sounds from something so small. Well worth the money imo. I hope they withstand the test of time though.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #743 of 1,068
Hey guys,

I bought a pair of PK1's a few weeks ago (2nd hand) but realized that I find them pretty boring and muffled (especially midrange) at times compared to my head-direct RE2's (only bettered by the PK1 in soundstage) and AT AD900's. Now when I first read up on the reviews general consensus seemed to be they were a grado-y headphone but I don't find that at all, at least with my pair they lack alot of the energy that's present in my KSC75's and what I remember of my SR60s (now dead). Does this sound right? I just want to confirm if I genuinely dislike the PK1's (at times) or whether I have a defective pair in my hands.

Thanks!

P.S. I'd like to mention I DO run these out of an amp, hotaudio40's raging moose or occasionally the fiio E5

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #744 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by zickfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I bought a pair of PK1's a few weeks ago (2nd hand) but realized that I find them pretty boring and muffled (especially midrange) at times compared to my head-direct RE2's (only bettered by the PK1 in soundstage) and AT AD900's. Now when I first read up on the reviews general consensus seemed to be they were a grado-y headphone but I don't find that at all, at least with my pair they lack alot of the energy that's present in my KSC75's and what I remember of my SR60s (now dead). Does this sound right? I just want to confirm if I genuinely dislike the PK1's (at times) or whether I have a defective pair in my hands.

Thanks!

P.S. I'd like to mention I DO run these out of an amp, hotaudio40's raging moose or occasionally the fiio E5

The last description I would ever think of regarding the PK-1's would be "muffled". Something seems wrong.

What's your source...and are you using the donut foams?

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #745 of 1,068
Well I also have the SR60's and while I think the PK1's aren't as "bright" they are more detailed and overall sq is better imo (of course grado's have bigger soundstage though). But yeah, muffled doesn't sound good.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #746 of 1,068
I agree with those who say the foams make a big difference in whether the PKs stay in your ears.
Trouble is, they seem to have a pretty short lifespan.
Has anyone found a decent (and cheap) replacement?

Thanks,

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #747 of 1,068
Well, after having had the PK1s for about 3 months now, and the OK1s for 1 month, I've decided to make the PK1s my main phone.

The reasons for this are that first, the OK1s are not as comfortable in my ears. Indeed in extended use my ears begin to hurt. I've tried full foams, donut foams, the rubber rings. The donut foams were most comfortable, but my ears would still get sore after several hours, plus the second hole in the foams were always needing to be re-centered.

Secondly, I like the extra bass the PK1s have. The OK1 have tight, very well defined bass, but the PK1s just have more impact. With my main genre being rock with a little dub added, the extra bass is really nice.

I wish I had known about the fit issue affecting me personally, but there was no way without trying it of course. Oh well. Live and learn.

I'm going to keep the OK1s as backup buds in case something happens to the PK1s (God forbid.).

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #748 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with those who say the foams make a big difference in whether the PKs stay in your ears.
Trouble is, they seem to have a pretty short lifespan.
Has anyone found a decent (and cheap) replacement?

Thanks,

If you're in the US, Radio Shack sells replacement foam covers in their stores and also online.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #750 of 1,068
TBH I don't think the source would change the main sound THAT drastically but I'm running my amp out of an AV710 or my Iriver H340, both have the same 'flaws'. I am using donut foams which give better sound but are alot more difficult to keep in my ear, was wondering if I could order a pair of head-direct? Doesn't seem to be on there site.

The more I think about this issue the more saddened I become, I originally bought the PK1's to be used as a rock can but my AD900's are superior in every aspect for this usage despite having less bass impact perhaps next time I will go for the real deal of an SR325i or MS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back