Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #226 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been contemplating a mini-mod to stretch a small black rubber band or flat o-ring around the perimeter of the earpiece on top of the foam. This should slightly increase it's diameter, and provide a surface that won't slide easily against the surface of my ear.

Anyone got any ideas in this area?

Radio Shack used to sell universal colored rubber rings that can be fitted around any bud. I have some of these. If you can't locate them, I'd be happy to drop a set in the mail to you.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #227 of 1,068
I just got a pair of PK1. They are Sound fantastic!! The best earphone I have ever got so far.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #228 of 1,068
I've been wanting a Yuin for a long time, and since I'm in Hong Kong now (vacation) and found a store selling them, I can finally get some! But first some questions:

1. I'll mainly using these right before I sleep, so are they durable enough and do they hurt your ears if you sleep on them?
2. I'm using an iRiver Clix and Cowon A2. The A2 I'm pretty sure is powerful enough to drive the PK1s, but I'm not so sure about the Clix. I have a PA2V2, is that enough to drive the PK1s or am I better off with the PK2?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #229 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to try Radio Shack foamies (if you're in the U.S.). They are thicker than the stock foams, so that might help keep the earpiece in.

IMO, the thicker foams sound better, too.

Rick

I'll look for a set today....

Honus...I never heard of those colored rings, I'll look for those rings as well (and your offer is appreciated).

Thanks both...once I get the fit perfect, then I won't need RS-1's anymore
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #231 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been wanting a Yuin for a long time, and since I'm in Hong Kong now (vacation) and found a store selling them, I can finally get some! But first some questions:

1. I'll mainly using these right before I sleep, so are they durable enough and do they hurt your ears if you sleep on them?
2. I'm using an iRiver Clix and Cowon A2. The A2 I'm pretty sure is powerful enough to drive the PK1s, but I'm not so sure about the Clix. I have a PA2V2, is that enough to drive the PK1s or am I better off with the PK2?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

anyone?

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #232 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Durable they are.

PA2V2 will drive them. I sold my PA2V2 and bought a next level amp for them (a Microshar).

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #233 of 1,068
After a couple of months I still couldn't get used to the just barely long enough cord of the PK2's J-cord design. So Fang (head-direct) swapped them for a Y-cord for free, sweeeeet. The Y-cord design is much, much better. Even if you prefer J-cords (I do), in the case of the PK2, the Y-cord is the superior choice (earlier someone said it seemed like they were for kids and I'd agree).

If these things turn out to be as durable as the el cheapo earphones they mimic, I'll be buying myself some PK1s next year
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #234 of 1,068
Should be ok. My iaudio U3 drive about 70% of PK1. It sounds good without amp.
PK1 is highly recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will an iAudio 7 drive the Yuin PK1's adequately?

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #236 of 1,068
OMG! How is it possible that something so small can sound so good?
eek.gif
I just got my pk1 and am listening to them un-amped from an old PCDP. Honestly I was quite skeptic about the hype these things were getting and when I got them out of the box (pretty wooden box BTW) they looked even more disappointing. They looked just like the cheap ear buds you get with the player and toss out immediately. But the sound!
eek.gif
I'm hearing instruments I never heard before with my MS1 and KSC75. And I love that I can wear these comfortably with my glasses on; a huge plus for those late night study sessions.

The only negative that I can think of right now is the bottom mid-range seems to be a bit bloated and muddy. Maybe burn-in will help or this is actually what music sounds like and I've never noticed it before. I'm also not sure how comfortable these things after long periods. So far I've had them in ~1 hours, hopefully they won't start hurting as my e2c started to do after extended wear.

These are definitely worth the money. Now I think the cheap appearance is actually a plus, no one's going to mug me for these things, they're not even white like ibuds.
tongue.gif

I'm even contemplating getting an amp (any recommendations?), which was not something I would ever considered before. Also, any recommendations for a DAP that will do these babies justice? Must get the most out of these things.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #238 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Also, any recommendations for a DAP that will do these babies justice? Must get the most out of these things.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I tried it successfully with iPod 5g and Nano 1G. Shuffle 2G was not able to drive it good enough.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #239 of 1,068
I was also having a hard time with the fit (kept slipping out) of my PK1 and PK2. I put on the normal yuin pad, and then slipped another yuin donut pad over it. Now I get a much better seal, more bass
eggosmile.gif
. Depending on the size of your ear, this may be worth trying.

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #240 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG! How is it possible that something so small can sound so good?
eek.gif
I just got my pk1 and am listening to them un-amped from an old PCDP. Honestly I was quite skeptic about the hype these things were getting and when I got them out of the box (pretty wooden box BTW) they looked even more disappointing. They looked just like the cheap ear buds you get with the player and toss out immediately. But the sound!
eek.gif
I'm hearing instruments I never heard before with my MS1 and KSC75. And I love that I can wear these comfortably with my glasses on; a huge plus for those late night study sessions.

The only negative that I can think of right now is the bottom mid-range seems to be a bit bloated and muddy. Maybe burn-in will help or this is actually what music sounds like and I've never noticed it before. I'm also not sure how comfortable these things after long periods. So far I've had them in ~1 hours, hopefully they won't start hurting as my e2c started to do after extended wear.

These are definitely worth the money. Now I think the cheap appearance is actually a plus, no one's going to mug me for these things, they're not even white like ibuds.
tongue.gif

I'm even contemplating getting an amp (any recommendations?), which was not something I would ever considered before. Also, any recommendations for a DAP that will do these babies justice? Must get the most out of these things.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

By all means, get an amp. I just went for a long walk with a Penguin Classic amp, Creative Zen V and my PK1s. Sounded simply amazing. And I am talking a cheap here, a $60 CMOY-type amp. I am so torn over the PK1s and the M5s, but both are no brainers to me when it comes to portable phones. I've never owned any Shures or UEs, but these two phones are the perfect combo (one for iso and a great SQ, the other for when you want to hear the outside world, but want great sound too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back