Yuin G1A and G2A
Mar 22, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #32 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass on the G2A is very good.

Thanks. Do you by any chance know how much sound these leak?

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #33 of 154
I'd be cool if anybody could do some comparison between G1A/G2A and other similarly priced portable phones in the market.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #34 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Do you by any chance know how much sound these leak?

I'd like to know this as well! Also, more comparisons please...
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #38 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the G1A at the nyc meet out of my ipod and it was slightly better then the esw9. I'll probably do a more full comparison later

Hm, that is pretty impressive right there.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the G1A at the nyc meet out of my ipod and it was slightly better then the esw9. I'll probably do a more full comparison later

That's quite a statement since esw9 is exactly double the price of G1A. Will look forward to your full comparison.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #40 of 154
Thanks for all the info guys (gals?). Now I'm more torn than ever on this purchase. Well, I'm used to that by now...
Keep the comparisons coming!

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #41 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not after only 35 posts in a thread...
rolleyes.gif

I was a question / prediction
statements are usually not accompanied by question marks

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #42 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be cool if anybody could do some comparison between G1A/G2A and other similarly priced portable phones in the market.

I have compared the G1A and G2A with:
Sony F1
Stax SR003
Sennheiser IE8
Sony EX700

I find that tonally the G1A compares favorably with the F1, but with narrower soundstage. It sounds very similar overall to the baby Stax, just a notch under the IE8 and has a better overall balance with more air than does the Sony, although the Sony reaches further into the sub-bass region.

The G2A has more forward mids, which results in a closer soundstage than the G1A. I personally prefer the more distant soundstage of the G1A.

Although both the G1A and G2A are considerably less expensive than the above phones, they compare very favorably with small differences that are detectable only in A/B comparisons. Quite a remarkable feat by Yuin!

The G2A, IE8 and Sony EX700 can all be driven very satisfactorily without external amplification. The G1A can also be driven without an amp, but loses some of its overall sense of realism and impact, resulting in a "thinner" overall sound.
This should not be considered as a negative criticism, as the G1A was designed for use with an amplifier.

As Miguel stated, the G2A is quite close to the G1A, and a true bargain considering its performance. I still feel that the G1A does best the G2A mostly in the detail and accuracy of the higher frequencies. It seems as though the tonal balance of the G1A is shifted just a bit toward the higher frequencies.

I did remove the clips from the G1A and mounted the transducers on a matching headphone band. Sonically, there isn't much difference, but I find the band more comforable than the clips when wearing glasses.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #43 of 154
Can you direct me to where you got the headband? And is it an easy mod? I also find the clips a hassle. I am going to turn in my reviews tomorrow or Wednesday. But you and Miguel have really hit it so far. I also prefer the G1A more distant sound stage and overall silky smooth sound (duh, since it is 3X the price). But the G2A is a good value. I just can't get used to the clips, and also wear glasses. Same with Ksc75.

Also, I am comparing the G1A with my Grado SR-80s, and I prefer the Yuins (when both are amped). More to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back