You're all crazy IMO
Aug 3, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #151 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are tens of thousands of music sites and then there’s this one little headphone aficionado site in the entire known universe.

Um. only if your "known universe" is strictly north america and the UK.

I'm aware of very active headphone forums in singapore, hong kong, korea, germany . . . there's at least one in eastern europe as well.

The one in singapore is even mostly in english.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #152 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, we are all crazy then!
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, it's just you.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #153 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm aware of very active headphone forums in singapore, hong kong, korea, germany . . . there's at least one in eastern europe as well.

You only know about them because you live upside down. If you lived right side up like most of the rest of us do, then you wouldn't know about them either.
wink.gif
In any case, this is the Mother of All Headphone Sites so it's just a matter of time before we get around to conquering them in the name of Queen Isabella. BTW, if they're so good, why are you here and if they are that good, why not share their addresses so we could drop by and have a look see before we conquer them?

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #154 of 260
If the original poster was a troll. He certainly did not aggravate us..lol

I know someone who is really crazy. She plays a tambourine in aspen. She listens to music constantly, and gets up on stage with nearly every band that comes to town. She hangs out with musicians all the time. She was best friends with John Denver- jammed with him all the time.

Her audio gear? An ipod shuffle and she does not even own headphones. No kidding. She plugs her shuffle into a 1970's crap Sony receiver and plays back through some outdoor patio speakers. It sounds like hammered $hit.
I cringe every time I come by. Her living room speakers are separated by 25 feet and both are turned toward the front door shooting 90 degrees to the left.

I spent a few hours dialing in her system- and actually got some sort of imaging out of her 1976 Klipsch Heresey's that have antenna screws for binding cables.

That lasted about 1 day- before the speakers were moved to this inane position where you can clearly hear the huge time delay and early reflections off the walls.

Not caring about musical quality at all... that is insane. Especially for someone who claims to love music and is a musician herself and plays regularly- she played with Bela Fleck a few months ago in Nashville.

Sorta makes me think of a gourmet chef who can't taste the difference between his food and McDonalds.

That is insane.... yet often I find that many musicians have no idea about what good sound is at all. Most of them seem to have Bose systems or worse.. boomboxes too.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #155 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Ears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the original poster was a troll. He certainly did not aggravate us..lol

I know someone who is really crazy. She plays a tambourine in aspen. She listens to music constantly, and gets up on stage with nearly every band that comes to town. She hangs out with musicians all the time. She was best friends with John Denver- jammed with him all the time.

Her audio gear? An ipod shuffle and she does not even own headphones. No kidding. She plugs her shuffle into a 1970's crap Sony receiver and plays back through some outdoor patio speakers. It sounds like hammered $hit.
I cringe every time I come by. Her living room speakers are separated by 25 feet and both are turned toward the front door shooting 90 degrees to the left.

I spent a few hours dialing in her system- and actually got some sort of imaging out of her 1976 Klipsch Heresey's that have antenna screws for binding cables.

That lasted about 1 day- before the speakers were moved to this inane position where you can clearly hear the huge time delay and early reflections off the walls.

Not caring about musical quality at all... that is insane. Especially for someone who claims to love music and is a musician herself and plays regularly- she played with Bela Fleck a few months ago in Nashville.

Sorta makes me think of a gourmet chef who can't taste the difference between his food and McDonalds.

That is insane.... yet often I find that many musicians have no idea about what good sound is at all. Most of them seem to have Bose systems or worse.. boomboxes too.

Nuff said.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #157 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Probably the second largest headphone forum I know of (or perhaps it is the largest?) is erji.net in China (and in Chinese language of course). There are just as many posters there but unfortunately there are more useless posts as well. The place is clogged by one-word-post like 'great' and 'bump', sad actually
triportsad.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #158 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's just you.
wink.gif

I know, I know...
evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #159 of 260
So, let me get this straight. The OP has an underdriven HD580, which doesn't perform up to par, and then he has the balls to come in here, and give "newcomers" advice that we're all crazy and that they should disregard anything we say?

What you just did was to sit in a Lambo in traffic, and then say "I don't know what all the fuss is about... it never went above 30."

Sorry, but... there's a lot more to this hobby than what you've just seen. Either that, or you have lead ears. I don't believe that, since I doubt a 580 would perform well under the kind of conditions you've got it in so you're probably hearing things right, but I emphasize the probably since I never heard the 580 off the kind of setup you're running.

Tell you what. Show up to a head-fi meet, and listen to some gear. Check out an HE90/HEV90 off a Meitner Labs DAC, or an O2 Mk1/Blue Hawaii SE off a Meridian G08. Then, tell us that all of that doesn't make a difference. I seriously suspect that if you were to hear rigs like this, you might have a change of heart. Heck, if you hear a cheap rig that's actually well-thought-out and put together (K340 bass-light + Mg Head, Lambda + SRD-7 + T-Amp) I think you'll find that there is a point to this thing after all.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #160 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, let me get this straight. The OP has an underdriven HD580, which doesn't perform up to par, and then he has the balls to come in here, and give "newcomers" advice that we're all crazy and that they should disregard anything we say?

What you just did was to sit in a Lambo in traffic, and then say "I don't know what all the fuss is about... it never went above 30."

Sorry, but... there's a lot more to this hobby than what you've just seen. Either that, or you have lead ears. I don't believe that, since I doubt a 580 would perform well under the kind of conditions you've got it in so you're probably hearing things right, but I emphasize the probably since I never heard the 580 off the kind of setup you're running.

Tell you what. Show up to a head-fi meet, and listen to some gear. Check out an HE90/HEV90 off a Meitner Labs DAC, or an O2 Mk1/Blue Hawaii SE off a Meridian G08. Then, tell us that all of that doesn't make a difference. I seriously suspect that if you were to hear rigs like this, you might have a change of heart. Heck, if you hear a cheap rig that's actually well-thought-out and put together (K340 bass-light + Mg Head, Lambda + SRD-7 + T-Amp) I think you'll find that there is a point to this thing after all.

Ignoring the hostility here - which I admit I had coming - The Bloat should really be enough to drive the HD580 to adequate levels.

Take a look at the specs yourself. The owner of hippohifi told me that it is designed for high impedance headphones and it has a dual amplifier design with AD8620s (an amp that I've read pairs well with the HD580/HD600).

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #162 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the OP's point wholeheartedly. Being an audiophile means being an extreme nitpicker. I thought I was an "audiophile" as defined by those on this forum, but in reality, I'm just a guy that who loves the feeling and emotion flowing through music. After spending hundreds of dollars on mid-fi to high-end stuff, I've sold it all and reverted back to my SR60 setup... which consists of simply... *gasp* plugging the SR60 into my laptop's headphone port.

To some, the marginal improvement they gain from spending obscene amounts of money brings them happiness; to me, I find it does not. I like to live simply, and engage in pleasures simply, and I find that amps/DACs/cables are extraneous things that only chain me down from simply enjoying music. And upgradeitis, once you develop it, only hinders your enjoyment, as you're constantly fretting over the fact that you are not listening to music at its optimal capacity. To me, listening to music should not be such a complicated affair. I could hardly define myself as a typical Head-Fi'er, and lately I've only been occasionally visiting the forums to reaffirm my own beliefs that a lot of audiophiles are full of crap.

I was typing this post up about how I thought I'd found a kindred spirit in someone who had learned to look past the suffering inherent in the endless pursuit of "upgrades", and then I checked your posts and saw you were trying to buy an RS-1 the same day you wrote this, and have since purchased it. Suffice it to say that re-reading this was more than a little amusing.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #163 of 260
Here is what I know to be true,
Some people are good at painting a life like portrait of a person, using vivid colors and textures of paint that stir the soul. Some people can only draw stick figures with spaghetti hair and toothpick legs(me). Is there a difference, absolutly. My family has not a musical bone in their body, do they still like their music, yes. Does it take thousands of dollars for them to enjoy music, nope. I on the other side of the coin I could hear a theme on TV, sit down at my piano, and pick out the tune in seconds, give me a few minutes and I'll have chords and background melodeys figured out. My point being that some people are able to hear differences in presentation and playback that others simply cant hear. Do I "need" $3,000 in amps, dacs, cables and phones to enjoy my music, no, but to my ears the cost to benifit ratio is defently worth the money and time. You will not find me taking college art classes costing thousands of dollars and then whining about it when I still draw spaghetti hair on toothpick legs.
If you ever find yourself spending money to hear things because you can, save your money, but if you spend money and find yourself sinking deeper into the music than you thought possible for a mortal being, then thats what this hobby is about, music, not money.
Kevin

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #164 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But spending more than $150 on headphones isn't crazy.. that's "normal".. right?
confused_face_2.gif

I actually prefer my $150 Beyers to my $250 AKGs (Note: those are the prices actually paid. MSRP $320 and $580, respectively.)

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #165 of 260
Just find a happy "spot" and stick with it. That's my theory on pretty much everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back