You're all crazy IMO
Aug 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 260

dosquito

100+ Head-Fier
I used the HD485 for years before I found this site. When I got my X-fi Elite Pro, I noticed that there was a big improvement. I wondered what else I was missing out on, which eventually led me to head-fi.

A few days ago my USB dac, The Bloat, arrived. On my HD485 it was a noticeable improvement, but really not that different from my x-fi. If anything, it was probably the amplification that improved it.

Finally, today my HD580 arrived. Now, it is used so I expect that it has been "burned in". I plug it in and listen to Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall. There is a noticeable improvement, but really the biggest difference is small details. In fact, I would say the HD485 on my x-fi has 90% of the sound of this $350 setup. I listen to Money by Pink Floyd...there really isn't a huge difference at all.

I understand that this is an audiophiles hobby, so I am giving this warning to normal people here. Beware that most claims on this site are severely exaggerated.

And I can hear to 21 Khz and have very good hearing in general, so I don't really want to hear that.

I use itunes, would setting up ASIO on foobar be worth it?

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 260
What's your source?

If you have garbage going in, you'll get garbage going out...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 260
Some claims are exaggregated but some things might emerge as obvious and annoying if you start listening for them. The exagrregation is in the ear of the beholder. The wallet is in the hand of the beholder too....

You just might not find anything better than the HD580 however, unless you severly dislike its sound, or have a large bill in you wallet.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 260
yes i believe their are many people on this forum who can hear things (trained ears) that normal listeners can't. I can't hear tiny imperfections or small differences...

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 260
I agree with the OP's point wholeheartedly. Being an audiophile means being an extreme nitpicker. I thought I was an "audiophile" as defined by those on this forum, but in reality, I'm just a guy that who loves the feeling and emotion flowing through music. After spending hundreds of dollars on mid-fi to high-end stuff, I've sold it all and reverted back to my SR60 setup... which consists of simply... *gasp* plugging the SR60 into my laptop's headphone port.

To some, the marginal improvement they gain from spending obscene amounts of money brings them happiness; to me, I find it does not. I like to live simply, and engage in pleasures simply, and I find that amps/DACs/cables are extraneous things that only chain me down from simply enjoying music. And upgradeitis, once you develop it, only hinders your enjoyment, as you're constantly fretting over the fact that you are not listening to music at its optimal capacity. To me, listening to music should not be such a complicated affair. I could hardly define myself as a typical Head-Fi'er, and lately I've only been occasionally visiting the forums to reaffirm my own beliefs that a lot of audiophiles are full of crap.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 260
In my opinion it's all about enjoying music. If you compare some cans, it would be very very surprising if you couldn't find one that is more enjoyable than the others. It would be even more surprising if you couldn't, in the end, describe what that crucial difference is, to you.

The same goes for amps and dacs. The most expensive gear does not always win.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the OP's point wholeheartedly. Being an audiophile means being an extreme nitpicker. I thought I was an "audiophile" as defined by those on this forum, but in reality, I'm just a guy that who loves the feeling and emotion flowing through music. After spending hundreds of dollars on mid-fi to high-end stuff, I've sold it all and reverted back to my SR60 setup... which consists of simply... *gasp* plugging the SR60 into my laptop's headphone port.

To some, the marginal improvement they gain from spending obscene amounts of money brings them happiness; to me, I find it does not. I like to live simply, and engage in pleasures simply, and I find that amps/DACs/cables are extraneous things that only chain me down from simply enjoying music. And upgradeitis, once you develop it, only hinders your enjoyment, as you're constantly fretting over the fact that you are not listening to music at its optimal capacity. To me, listening to music should not be such a complicated affair. I could hardly define myself as a typical Head-Fi'er, and lately I've only been occasionally visiting the forums to reaffirm my own beliefs that a lot of audiophiles are full of crap.

Exactly. i truly believe lots of the guys on here don't even like music. I have 12,000 songs on my itunes. I spent $350 so I could ENJOY THE MUSIC THAT I LIKE MORE, which I don't really regret. I think it was a good investment, but don't expect any huge differences if you're a normal person.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i truly believe lots of the guys on here don't even like music.

Huh? We spend all the dough on amps, sources and headphones, only to "not like music?".. I'm once again, confused..
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 260
listen to the absolute best possible system you can, once. Then if your perceptions are unchanged; you'll know what you're into.

I didn't take high-end audio to be much of a big deal, until I heard some Wilson MAXX2s in a great room, driven by the best BAT electronics, and an amazing analog source. (Transrotor, Cardas cartridge)

Now I understand, that like anything, getting the 95% isn't too hard, it's the last 5% that's difficult. The same goes for lifting weights, fast cars, fancy computers, ect.

Nick

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 260
Also, on the subject of "soundstage"

I really have no idea what this means.

I know what soundstage is.

In my friend's car, with a stock audio system, there is a great soundstage. It sounds like the music is playing on top of the car. The drums are on the left, vocalist in the middle, ETC. On headphones, I don't see how there could possibly be soundstage. There are two channels - left and right.

so could someone please explain to me what soundstage is?

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? We spend all the dough on amps, sources and headphones, only to "not like music?".. I'm once again, confused..
confused_face(1).gif

What I mean is I think lots of people on here just enjoy comparing their gear - if you don't fit into this category then obviously I don't mean you.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #15 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosquito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. i truly believe lots of the guys on here don't even like music.

I think it's the opposite. People are dedicated, some might even be obsessively dedicated, to enjoying their music. Only the peak experience will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back