Your thoughts on a few phones
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

axizor

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi! After browsing the forums for about a year now, I thought it was time to make an account.

I'm looking for a new set of cans. I bought my first pair, Shure SRH750s, about a year ago. I love them and they sound great with my music (hip hop, electronic, dub step, alternative and just about everything in between). They are extremely uncomfortable though. After about an hour of use I have to take them off. Because of this, I'm deciding to buy some new ones. Here's what I've narrowed my choices down to.

AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD598
BD DT770, 880, 990

What do you think would be the best choice? I'm looking for phones with nice, prominent bass (which I believe these all have) but mids and highs that aren't washed out. Overall I want the best sounding, most neutral headphone that still has plenty of bass. Comfort is also very important. Let me know if there is anything I missed, but please keep it in the $200-$300 range.

(From everything I've read, it seems that the DT880s are the way to go. What's the best desktop DAC/AMP/both that could drive the 250ohm version for about $100?

Thanks guys!

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 11
The HD598 has "prominent bass"? Don't think so. Neither really do the 880s and Q701's. The 750DJ has quite a bit of bass and you might find the above pretty bass-light for your tastes.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 11
I understand that these phones probably aren't as "overpowering" as the SRH750 when it comes to bass.

From doing all my research on phones, the general consensus I gathered was that these phones don't lack in bass (especially the DT770s). But, I could be wrong. I haven't listened to them (sadly, there are no HiFi audio places nearby.)

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Ive read quite a bit about how the 250 Ohm Pro version of the DT 770 has amazing bass, for quantity and quality. But youd have to buy an amp to go with them.

Side note, I clicked on this thread thinking it was about actual phones, as in cell phones.....

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 11
It depends on choosing between open-back or closed-back.
For closed headphone i will chose dt 770, For open-back i will chose dt 880 premium 

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi! After browsing the forums for about a year now, I thought it was time to make an account.

I'm looking for a new set of cans. I bought my first pair, Shure SRH750s, about a year ago. I love them and they sound great with my music (hip hop, electronic, dub step, alternative and just about everything in between). They are extremely uncomfortable though. After about an hour of use I have to take them off. Because of this, I'm deciding to buy some new ones. Here's what I've narrowed my choices down to.

AKG Q701
Sennheiser HD598
BD DT770, 880, 990

What do you think would be the best choice? I'm looking for phones with nice, prominent bass (which I believe these all have) but mids and highs that aren't washed out. Overall I want the best sounding, most neutral headphone that still has plenty of bass. Comfort is also very important. Let me know if there is anything I missed, but please keep it in the $200-$300 range.

(From everything I've read, it seems that the DT880s are the way to go. What's the best desktop DAC/AMP/both that could drive the 250ohm version for about $100?

Thanks guys!

You nailed it - the DT880's are the way to go.  They're the best match for the criteria you mentioned,
and in any event they're great headphones.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 11
*Sigh*
Recommending the dt880 premium based on the OP's criteria seems pretty off target. And somewhat irresponsible, if i may say so.
The headphone is difficult to drive properly. And will sound bright and anemic from most equipment.

The same can be said of the q701.

I have owned both. As well as many other headphones that might suit the OP's needs more...

I would scrap the whole list and start over.

OP- please tell us more. You will only get bad advice until we know enough to help.

Open or closed.
What will you play them from?
Portable?
Etc.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
*Sigh*
Recommending the dt880 premium based on the OP's criteria seems pretty off target. And somewhat irresponsible, if i may say so.
The headphone is difficult to drive properly. And will sound bright and anemic from most equipment.

I have owned both. As well as many other headphones that might suit the OP's needs more...

OP- please tell us more. You will only get bad advice until we know enough to help.

Open or closed.
Portable?
Etc.

Thank you and everyone else for your replies.

1. I have no preference whether open or closed.

2. Computer- Xonar DG -desktop amp (idk which one yet) or a separate dac and amp (seeking some advice on amps/dacs too)

3. No, not portable. But certainly comfortable.

Music will be as described in OP - Dubstep, electronic, hip hop, and alternative mainly.

Price must be UNDER $300.

Let me know if any other info would help in your recommendation.

Thanks for the help guys!

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
*Sigh*

Open or closed.
Portable?
Etc.

I stand by the recommendation and definitely don't think it's 'irresponsible'.
(Quite a gratuitously obnoxious comment on your part.)

"Overall I want the best sounding, most neutral headphone that still has plenty of bass. Comfort is also very important.
Let me know if there is anything I missed, but please keep it in the $200-$300 range."

Of the headphones listed by the OP, the DT880's in my view are doubtlessly the best match.
Sure, the 770's have more bass but they're farther from 'neutral' and less comfortable over time.

I listen to '...electronic, dub step, alternative and just about everything in between' on my DT880's
and have done so for years.  It all sounds great to my ears.

Also, the DT880's differ substantially from the Q701 in that they have more bass and are
significantly easier to drive.  (Moreover, the OP is going to be buying an amp as well which
solves that issue anyway.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back