Your 'Pre-Audiophile' sound setup was...
Feb 17, 2009 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Come on, who's daring enough to complete this sentence?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 53
what I have now is my pre-audiophile setup :O
but before this i had a generic mp3 player 256MB with generic buds, it cost 30$ together :p

Oh when I was in the 4th grade, about 8 yrs ago, I used to go to school with a non-MP3 compatible CD player, don't remember the brand... I think it was Sony

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 53
i didnt even have a setup.

just headphones..best were Sony MDR-G58V ...they are neckband style clip ons.

MDR-G58V.jpg

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 53
I used to listen with this pair of philips headphones

product1_4995.jpg

plugged directly into my old terratec 5.1 soundcard...not bad phones considered i bought them for 12€ new...

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 53
Before, PC on board sound (every PC until I got here, now a nice soundcard and/or cheap DAC) to the same 2.1 powered Labtec speakers I've had for years and I am still using now, (replaced under warranty a previous (older model) pair that broke!)

And, Zen Vision M 30gb and Senn CX300's (with stock buds before them). Swapped the ZVM for my D2 when I got here, and an 8gb SD, pretty good
biggrin.gif

Before that was an Olympus M:Robe with stock buds. Before that were cheap Jap 256mb/512mb (can't remember) mp3 players that broke every few months, got replaced, and broke again. Again, with stock buds.

Before that was a pretty nice Goodmans MP3 CD-capable CD player (still got it. Sounds pretty damn good with a lineout to a Cmoy for the bed rig!), even though I can't hear a difference between 196k mp3 and lossless! Had the stock buds with it, or the Sony walkman tape headphones left from my first "rig" ever, and near the end some alright Matsui buds, at less than 9 years old!

Matt

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 53
I used a Sony portable cd player with sony md-301 headphones for portable, and my home headphones i used Fostex T20RP, which i still have. On my pc id plug in the sonys, or a set of pc phones with a mic, some cheap crap.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 53
I had a pair of older Polk Monitor 10s that I had purchased from a pawn shop, which were powered by a vintage Pioneer receiver.

I appreciated good sound, otherwise I wouldn't have had this system... but "audiophile", it/I was not.

I went to Definitive Audio in Seattle, WA, with a friend one day (it was recommended to me by another friend's mom's boyfriend), and heard "Peel Me a Grape", by Diana Krall, on a pair of B&W Signature 800 (and about $100 grand of electronics behind them). The experience was breath-taking, and I wanted to recreate it, so I bought the CD on the way back home. I was so excited when I sat down in my room! I popped the CD into my DVD player, turned the lights down low, and sat back to enjoy the sweet sound of... disappointment.

And I've never been the same since.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 53
For much of my childhood I had a Sony boombox.

Then I had an Aiwa 4-speaker "surround" minisystem that I got in 8th grade. Added a 12" Acoustic-Research sub during high school. That system gave way to Polk speakers, H/K receiver, Panny DVD player and a 12" Velodyne sub somewhere around sophomore year of college.

Around my junior year I inherited some huge old Technics 3-way stereo speakers so I got an Onkyo TX-8211 to power them.

The surround system has stayed the same basically (aside from the addition of a Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD/SACD/DVD-A player) but the stereo has been completely overhauled and I'm on my 4th set (and favorite after learning many things) speakers. Still have my third set with the Onkyo in another room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back