Your 'perfect' mobile rig ?
May 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #91 of 131
Actually I don't have my dream rig, yet. My dream setup would have the same sound quality as my setup has now but the HiFiMAN-HM801 and Protector are both in one unit that is about the size of a Zune 30gb and has a OLED touch screen. Keeping all of the HM-801 inputs and outputs. I would be very, very happy. But, that's not gonna happen.
frown.gif

May 26, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #92 of 131
I would say the "rig in my sig" qualifies 
ksc75smile.gif

I used to think it would be great to upgrade to a balanced Protector>JH-13, but I can't quite get used to the feel of my custom Tf-11. I still like my E-Q7 better for both comfort and SQ, so I have decided that my thin SE amp and universal IEM is the best solution for me.
I am very happy with my iMod as well, so I wouldn't change a thing 
beerchug.gif

May 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #93 of 131
I guess my dream port rig would be a Hifiman 801 with JH16. I've found a store here in Stockholm that sells the JH16 but it'll cost more than in the US - about $1450.

May 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #94 of 131
I would have to go with a laptop (FLAC) -> Headroom Total Bithead -> AKG K 701s.  Not too costly considering you can grab a HR for $150 and pair of 701s on ebay for $250 now :D

May 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #96 of 131
yeah, that would be more like a portable nightmare rig :wink: almost nothing sounds worse than K701 underpowered IMO

May 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #97 of 131
If we're talking about something we don't have yet, I am thinking of something like this:
FLAC files on PMP with digital out -> High End grade portable dac / headphone amp -> balanced connectors-> with Sennheiser HD800 or Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 using balanced cable.

My portable rig is far from a dream rig yet.

May 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #98 of 131
Ipod 160gb v.7 (ALAC) >> Whiplash TwAg mini-lod >> ALO Rx  >> EarSonics EM3-Pro (TwAg)

The only component I might change is the Rx for an Arrow or a TTVJ slim. And I said might. BTW, this is my current portable setup.

May 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #99 of 131

pardon the ignorance but what is tf11?

Quote:
I would say the "rig in my sig" qualifies 
ksc75smile.gif

I used to think it would be great to upgrade to a balanced Protector>JH-13, but I can't quite get used to the feel of my custom Tf-11. I still like my E-Q7 better for both comfort and SQ, so I have decided that my thin SE amp and universal IEM is the best solution for me.
I am very happy with my iMod as well, so I wouldn't change a thing 
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #100 of 131
Quote:
yeah, that would be more like a portable nightmare rig :wink: almost nothing sounds worse than K701 underpowered IMO

I agree but not only that, the K701 is a relatively large and fragile can that is totally open, not really conducive to mobile use IMO. At least the K702 would offer privacy to the listener and those close by.

Quote:

pardon the ignorance but what is tf11?

It's an Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 that is custom re-molded with an additional mid-driver
smile.gif

May 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #101 of 131
iPod Classic, Headstage Arrow HE, Hifiman RE0 is pretty close. I also like AKG 271, HD580 or PK1 for a different feel around my ears. AKG 271 bass is fine for me, even more with Arrow's bass boost. The closed AKG 271 is very comfortable, lightweight and great for semi-mobile use (including that mute switch), except for its bulk. I would like to see a design that folds flat like Ultrasone HFI 780 for easier fit into luggage or bags, but I am concerned that the HFI 780 has too boomy bass for my taste.

Yes, there are earphones with marginally better sound quality, but mine all were exceptional bargains. At one point in time, one has to stop hunting for the best and the newest. 

Yes, Apple is becoming evil, starting many years ago with non-user replaceable batteries, iTunes shop, intentionally crippled products and apps store with outrageous commissions on third-party software. But in realistic terms, when battery life is ending, iPods with larger storage and better user interface will be available for cheaper, anyway. And to date I managed to use iTunes without ever downloading anything from that shop. Still, I prefer iPods' and iTunes' user interfaces.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #102 of 131

Quote:
I already use it regularly

iriver iHP132CF->Modded D10->Lisa III/FiQuest(discrete output stage mod)->JH13/HD600

but i've just started ordering parts for

Cowon X5L->i2S digital out mod->battery powered twisted pear COD with ASRC-> discrete diamond buffers balanced->JH13/HD600/woody D2000
biggrin.gif

I have a iHP-140. What of those setups sounds best and what do they cost shipped to EU? Approximately of course. I just want killer sound, but I guess it's very expensive.. I have a budget depending on how much sound quality improvements I can get, but basically I need to go for a lot of bang for the buck..

Appreciate an answer from you or anyone else that knows this for that matter. My first buy since beginning to browse head-fi was a pair of Yuin PK3's, and in my opinion they really blow. Felt cheated when they came home only to realise even the standard phones from the iRiver sounds better, and even 30 bucks is a small investment for my budget.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #103 of 131

Waiting on a few things, cables mostly. But I'll most likely pick up some closed cans for noisy locations.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #104 of 131

Wind U135 -> uDac -> Crossroads EDGE -> HP/EP
im satisfied
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #105 of 131

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dating Norah Jones.

That's my ideal portable rig.

thats more like it
beerchug.gif
but would you need a shock collar of some sort to get her to sing on demand?
tongue.gif

And some sort of prod to make her stop! :D

In all seriousness. I dont have a portable setup, and do not know what my dream setup would be. But I am building/buying one these days. I have my Sansa Fuze, about to pull the trigger on a RSA P-51 and a pair of HD25-1 II (need something that really isolates, and dont like in ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back