Your most desired audio component
Jan 27, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #62 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Mastergill
Trawlerman,

You don't have to search for used one, you can find new one very easily.
Now they are made by Harbeth and the name is Monitors 20.
Check this:http://www.harbeth.co.uk/Professional%20monitors.htm

It's the same quality than before, as you know it's a license from the BBC, they where made by Rogers and Spendor...now it's Harbeth.

If you have enough space may i suggest you to choose the Monitors 30, former Rogers LS5/9, who gave me 10 years of pure listening pleasure before i had to sell them ( because i was moving to foreign country ).
My next loudspeaker buying will be the Monitor 30.

Yeah, the Harbeths are exceedingly good. The BBC use them today to replace ageing LS3/5a's.

As good as the Harbeths are, they are different to the LS3/5a's though. They don't quite have the same sound. But it's close and they provide a higher SPL and a considerably easier load.

I didn't mention in my first post that I have a pair of SPendor SP3/1s which are very similar to the Harbeths. IRC they have Seas and Vifa drive units in them. They are very similar to the LS3/5a's and are actually a direct descendent.

I guess that a lot of the appeal for LS3/5a's for me is that they are a piece of hi-fi history.

Jan 27, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #63 of 68
For a "Red Book" headphone system, this is where the action is!

[size=xx-small]Lexicon PCM 81 Digital Effects Processor (or Lexicon PCM 91 Digital Reverberator)[/size]
PCM81.jpg

plus...

[size=xx-small]TC Electronic Mastering Processor (or dbx Quantum II Mastering Processor)[/size]
96K.jpg

No doubt about it!

TravelLite

Jan 27, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #64 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
Hey Fred, I thought you weren't a fan of the 270/27? Have you finally come around?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeff,

I've heard the Blockhead with maybe a dozen different players and while the Revox E-642 w/upsampling and power supply upgrades,remains my favorite,the more I listen to other combos the more my memory of the Wadia combo stays with me. While I think it sounded decidely "digital" I think it's was resolution was incredible and I'm beginning to thing that's what the Blockhead really wants. Besides,the Revox is a POS and my Dad's unit works about half the time,despite frequent trips overseas to be repaired.

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #66 of 68
Maggie 20.1s and just for fun enough a couple of Krell Reference Standard monoblocks @120000 a pair to make the Maggies happy.
rs1smile.gif
etysmile.gif

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #67 of 68
Mark Levinson No. 39
JM Labs Utopia
Headroom Blockhead
Pass Labs x600
Bel Canto DAC2
RS-1, DT880, Stax OmegaII

Users who are viewing this thread

Back