Your most desired audio component
Jan 25, 2004 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
Ok. Forgetting about the flavour-of-the-month pieces of equipment that change almost as regularly as you change your socks. What one piece of equipment do you desire the most?

It doesn't have to be uber-expensive, brand new or even rare. All it has to be is the one piece of equipment that you have a real yearning for.

For my part i'd have to say a pair of SPENDOR branded BBC LS3/5a Monitor Loudspeakers.

They were in product from something 1977 to 1996. They look a little old fashioned these but they are a very special loudspeaker indeed. Originally designed for Outside Broadcast monitoring they soon found their way into many recording & broadcast studios. They take some driving as they are not particularly efficient. With the right amp they just come alive and literally disappear. If ever a loudspeaker responded to critical positioning and setup, this is the one.

Since they went out of production, demand has been strong. There's a great LS3/5a owners group that was founded by the son of one of the designers.

Unfortunately, word has now gotten out as to how good these speakers are and they proving to be increasingly difficult to get hold of. Just before they went out of production they were priced at around £600. Now even the scruffiest damaged pairs go for that and some have gone recently for £1200. It seems to be mainly the overseas buyers from the far east that are snapping these up.

The nearest I have to these are a pair of QUAD 77-10L miniature monitors. They are truly small speakers, their bass is rolled off but when it comes to midrange and treble they are almost like the ESL63 Electrostats. They are hell to drive at on 84db sensitivity and need a good kick up the arse to get them to sound anything like near their best. A truly well kept secret.

So that's me. What do you yearn for?

Jan 25, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 68
dac1-glossy.jpg

Benchmark DAC1

I NEED it BAD!
280smile.gif

Jan 25, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 68
Either a really good universal player, or at a minimum an SACD/RedBook unit. While the Esoteric is top on the list, I would not rule out even a nicely modified Sony 555ES like MarkL has.

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 68
Maggies...3.6. The only problem is that I'll need a whole new amp setup to drive them. Oh well, sorry about my wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 68
my staxes coming over to me and the sony scd Im waiting for.

I generally tend to like what I can have.

And for the future some ESL63s would be a desire.

By the way the BBC speakers you mention are supposed to be great and there are many versions of them. I have a a magazine with their history production dates and much much info about them. I would give you a photocopy but I dont know if you can understand Greek
rolleyes.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Simon Yorke Turntable

s7page.jpg

Is that belt driven or direct drive?
(Just kidding)

Pretty cool.
280smile.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 68