Your most desired audio component
Jan 26, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #31 of 68
My earlier choice of the Kharma speaker is just too extravagant.
And some pics in the thread are reminding me of how beautiful some turntables can be.

I'll choose something more realistic/possible & would dearly love.
LAMM LL2 tube preamp.

ll2.jpg

lamm_ll2.jpg

lammll2.jpg

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
They are interesting speakers. Aren't they designed in a way that the cabinets are supposed to resonate?

Not really, here's a quote from a review :

Quote:

as photo shows, the cabinet is entirely empty. The complete absence of any damping material marks a radical break with the accepted approach to acoustic cabinet design over the last 50 years or so... The side and back panels are of spruce, crossed and glued under pressure, and are just 2.5 millimetres thick. But where Ocellia really excels is in its complete mastery of the internal bracing, which provides perfect rigidity for the cabinets, in which no two internal surfaces are parallel to each other.

In an interview, the builder explained that his aim was to create a cabinet with harmless vibrations rather than no vibrations. In his view, traditionnal adding of damping and mass cannot suppress totaly vibrations. He prefers to work with thin walls, stocking less energy due to their low mass and making easier to dissipate those vibrations in a less damaging way.

The speakers are using PHY-HP full range H30lb15, with silver and silk voice coil. Lead free bronze frame. Each driver cost 905€, taxes not included. The speakers use solid silver cabling. Considering this, the time involved in the construction of those speakers and the rather confidential distribution, price is more than fair.

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #33 of 68
Mmmmm. That LAMM LL2 is nice. It reminds me of Audio Reseach stuff. I love that "laboratory" look. Clean and mean.

Jan 26, 2004 at 2:10 PM Post #35 of 68
Well, this is what I dream of getting... German Physiks' Gaudi.

GaudiAns4.jpg

They're the most expensive speakers in the world, at least as far as I know. The MSRP is 250000 USD a pair.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Shang-Ti Chen
They're the most expensive speakers in the world, at least as far as I know. The MSRP is 250000 USD a pair.
biggrin.gif

I see hinges on them, is it a refigerator as well? Dual use!

Jan 26, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller

Or the Blockhead and Wadia DAC/Transport combo.

Hey Fred, I thought you weren't a fan of the 270/27? Have you finally come around?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

orheus. Do these consoles have embedded recorder or do you connect one seperately? And is it any kind of recorder or must it be from the same series?

no, it's purely a console. you know what this picure is of right?--it's the Yamaha DM2000. it's like the cheapest model you can find in big studios besides maybe the mackie stuff. and it costs $20,000! doesn't have recording abilities itself. this model can control an external DAW however and also has machine control and MIDI and all that. so, 3 different ways to control a separate recording machine. don't need a Yamaha recorder. any high-end recorder with these features will do. even can control Pro Tools.
Quote:

Orpheus, I have the same kind of question as mario_mar. Can you recommend a good 8-track, all-in-one digital mixer/recording unit?

you know... there's so many out there. and i haven't used any of them. i know Roland was out with the first.... i'm sure whatever they got is pretty good. but as you know, all the big companies make them now: Roland, Tascam, Yamaha, etc...... go to Guitar Center and demo some. it'll be fun.

Jan 26, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #44 of 68
You are likely right...I'd look into new designs in dc phono amps as they come along and I may look into horn speakers...but as for preamp/amp and TT are concerned...I'm fairly confident I'd put my money in the music store clerk's hand instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back