Your most desired audio component
Jan 26, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I want this very badly.
I want it hooked up to this. Then run through this to a one of these babies and finally the music flows through these monsters!

That is my dream setup. I need nothing more
smily_headphones1.gif

I LOVE WYETECH STUFF!!! I've even pondered trying a preamp on their 30 day return policy in combination with a 2 week holiday & then return it
evil_smiley.gif
But their monoblocks? Forget it!!! $18,500 a pair for the '572M'. Why bother with the $500?
blink.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Ok. Forgetting about the flavour-of-the-month pieces of equipment that change almost as regularly as you change your socks. What one piece of equipment do you desire the most?

It doesn't have to be uber-expensive, brand new or even rare. All it has to be is the one piece of equipment that you have a real yearning for.

For my part i'd have to say a pair of SPENDOR branded BBC LS3/5a Monitor Loudspeakers.

They were in product from something 1977 to 1996. They look a little old fashioned these but they are a very special loudspeaker indeed. Originally designed for Outside Broadcast monitoring they soon found their way into many recording & broadcast studios. They take some driving as they are not particularly efficient. With the right amp they just come alive and literally disappear. If ever a loudspeaker responded to critical positioning and setup, this is the one.

Since they went out of production, demand has been strong. There's a great LS3/5a owners group that was founded by the son of one of the designers.

Unfortunately, word has now gotten out as to how good these speakers are and they proving to be increasingly difficult to get hold of. Just before they went out of production they were priced at around £600. Now even the scruffiest damaged pairs go for that and some have gone recently for £1200. It seems to be mainly the overseas buyers from the far east that are snapping these up.

Trawlerman,

You don't have to search for used one, you can find new one very easily.
Now they are made by Harbeth and the name is Monitors 20.
Check this:http://www.harbeth.co.uk/Professional%20monitors.htm

It's the same quality than before, as you know it's a license from the BBC, they where made by Rogers and Spendor...now it's Harbeth.

If you have enough space may i suggest you to choose the Monitors 30, former Rogers LS5/9, who gave me 10 years of pure listening pleasure before i had to sell them ( because i was moving to foreign country ).
My next loudspeaker buying will be the Monitor 30.

Jan 26, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
I LOVE WYETECH STUFF!!! I've even pondered trying a preamp on their 30 day return policy in combination with a 2 week holiday & then return it
evil_smiley.gif
But their monoblocks? Forget it!!! $18,500 a pair for the '572M'. Why bother with the $500?
blink.gif

I specifically chose not to list the monoblocks because I have read numerous times that the monoblocks do not sound as good! The extra power does not do them justice I guess...Wyetech is 15 minutes from where I live I REALLY want to check them out.

Jan 26, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #49 of 68
Zanth: those speakers look really weird, I'd rather get some Induction Dynamics speakers, which are also really nice...and are PRETTY!!...yeah
tongue.gif

and 2 dome midranges!!...sheesh

I'd really like to see somebody run them from a 3-Watt amp...haha
biggrin.gif

they really like Audax and Vifa drivers too...

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
30 day....but I need the money to back it up...and well...I'm a poor student still.

Borrow baby Borrow
very_evil_smiley.gif
Then pay it off 4 weeks later. OK I'll leave you alone now
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #55 of 68
I want a pair of beyerdynamic dt880's soooo bad! But i wont have to money to buy them for probably another month! Going crazy....
blink.gif

0020110880sidebig.JPG

Jan 26, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #56 of 68
I want an Audio Aero Prima 24/192 DAC to use with my Cary(as the tranceport) so bad I can taste it!!!!!!!
Unfortuntely............ they refuse to send me one until they get the $4550.00. Whatever happened to trust?

Jan 27, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #57 of 68
The audio-related object of my desire seems to change every week, but I'd say that a pair of HE90's with a Blue Hawaii amp would be nice. Until recently, it was Nik's Angstrom Two Box amp that had me drooling, but I've now scratched that itch! The amp will not get here for about a month, so I'm marking the days off the calandar like a prisoner waiting for a parole hearing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back