Your favorite W3 Tips
Jan 2, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #76 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered some Shure triflanges to compare against these RoadRunner Audio ones, to see if there's a difference.

-Ed

Great let me know the comparisons between the roadrunner audio ones (unmodded) and if the latter is better i'll order them.
L3000.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #77 of 142
Well, till 5 mins ago my favorite tip was large complies.. but now... NONE!
i ran the frequency test using Large complies and the flex sleeves and found out that the reason the Large complies "Solved" the sibilance and shrillness issue for me was that they muted (or screwed up) the high frequencies (18khz) for not sure what reason exactly. (my guess: the canal of the Comply tips is easily squash able, so the large comply tips might be squashing the canal not letting the sound transfer like it normally should..)
So, what I'm gonna do is.. Sell W3's when i receive my IE8's..
Anyone wanna buy W3's? PM me..

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #78 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ran the frequency test using Large complies and the flex sleeves and found out that the reason the Large complies "Solved" the sibilance and shrillness issue for me was that they muted (or screwed up) the high frequencies (18khz) for not sure what reason exactly. (my guess: the canal of the Comply tips is easily squash able, so the large comply tips might be squashing the canal not letting the sound transfer like it normally should..)

Trust me, you aren't hearing sibilance at 18kHz. In fact, unless you're very young or have exceptional hearing, you probably aren't hearing anything at 18kHz, especially with IEMs which are typically down around -60db at that point. For proof, look up some response curves for the better IEMs.

I don't mean to preach, but statements such as this do a great disservice to those who read these threads in an attempt to inform themselves.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #79 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me, you aren't hearing sibilance at 18kHz. In fact, unless you're very young or have exceptional hearing, you probably aren't hearing anything at 18kHz, especially with IEMs which are typically down around -60db at that point. For proof, look up some response curves for the better IEMs.

I don't mean to preach, but statements such as this do a great disservice to those who read these threads in an attempt to inform themselves.

To be sure, Jogiya, could you perform this same test when you receive the IE8? And/or, if you have other IEMs or even other earphones or speakers laying around now besides the Westone 3s that you can test with, try the same test with them now as well--you'll know for sure if it's a limitation to hearing or if it's the equipment specifically.

-Ed

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #80 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sibilance doesn't occur anywhere near the 18khz range, more like somewhere between 4 and 8khz, that you're hearing a roll-off at 18khz isn't surprising, it's likely either you're hearing or the IEM's starting to roll-off naturally or more likely a combination of both.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #83 of 142
Jan 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #84 of 142
And what is the difference between RoadRunner Audio Premium Triple Flange and Triple Flange Sleeves?

There is a short stem version too (Roadrunner)

earplugstore_2036_84905730

Shure tips

xpa755_l.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #85 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what is the difference between RoadRunner Audio Premium Triple Flange and Triple Flange Sleeves?

There is a short stem version too (Roadrunner)

earplugstore_2036_84905730

Shure tips

xpa755_l.gif

Nothing; I have the almond color ones from Roadrunner, long stem, and the Shure ones, and the only difference is the color, and the length of the stems. The long stem Roadrunner ones should come in at a lower cost per pair and allow for more adjustment of stem length or experimentation with a biflange-only configuration.

-Ed

Jan 13, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #86 of 142
I can get a seal from those Triple flanges and they are the only ones I can use with W3 without sibilance. But my god they are uncomfortable. Distal small flange irritates and tickles my ear canal. I think if I cut it away sibilance would be back
Sugesstions?

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #88 of 142
icon10.gif
Burn in ear canal?

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #89 of 142
I got Future Sonics Earfills silicone tips. They are very comfy. The most comfortable silicon tips, I ever tried. Isolate brilliantly! But Still it gives sibilance. People who do not get sibilance with normal tips, this is the way to go.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #90 of 142
For triflanges, cut the smallest flange off, rub it in with some bodybutter and let it rest for a night.
After that, it'll be amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back