Your favorite W3 Tips
Apr 15, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #106 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get a seal with the medium grey silicone tips but not with the medium black foam tips? I get a seal with the medium silicone tips but it seems like I will have to go with large black foam tips. It looks like just with a glance from images I've seen that the large black olive foam tip is about the same size as the medium grey silicone tips

I have more trouble rotating the W3 inwards at the bottom to get the Medium black foam in deep enough to seal, since they sit closer to the outside of the ear canal. The Medium grey silicone can lose the seal if I push them in too far (past the beoney portion of the ear canal where the canal opens up again). I decided to pass on the black foam and just use only the UM-56, or medium grey silicone if I think I will have to remove and replace IEM frequently in a place where people keep trying to talk to me.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #107 of 142
I'm a few days away from receiving a pair of Westone 3's. My question is: Are the triple flanges provided similar (or identical) to the ones provided with the Etymotic ER-20 earplugs?

If so, then I shouldn't have any problems adjusting to the fit or feeling of the W3's triple flange.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #108 of 142
I find the black olives kind of kill the soundstage. Nozzle too close to the eardrum I suspect. I am back to regular complys but I don't jam them all the way in. Probably 70% other wise i get same result as olives. As soon as you feel them fit slip into place, stop. Don't keep pushing.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #109 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a few days away from receiving a pair of Westone 3's. My question is: Are the triple flanges provided similar (or identical) to the ones provided with the Etymotic ER-20 earplugs?

If so, then I shouldn't have any problems adjusting to the fit or feeling of the W3's triple flange.

Yes, I believe they are, since I have those earplugs as well. They have a stalk, which is best trimmed a bit (see other posts on this mod). The Ety tri-flanges for the ER4P do not have a stalk, as the sound tube is inside the larger flange. That doesn't work with the W3s. For replacements, Shure tri-flanges (white) are the same exact thing. They are like $11 on Amazon for 3 pair.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #110 of 142
When I had the W3's the soft grey silicon tips provided, by far, the best sound - all other tips lacked or accentuated something - and were certainly the most comfortable.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #111 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Robo, I'd be very interested to hear your comments about how they compare to the SA6.
I'm thinking of making the same upgrade to the W3
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #112 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robo, I'd be very interested to hear your comments about how they compare to the SA6.
I'm thinking of making the same upgrade to the W3
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll let you know in a few days, since I'm meeting up with someone tomorrow to purchase it from them. But I'm hoping it'll be a noticeable step up, and that I won't have too much trouble with the comfort and fit (the SA6s are VERY comfortable, so I'm hoping for a similar level of comfort).

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #113 of 142
My preferred tip as of yesterday were the large olives, but after receiving my new ACS custom moulds today, I can say that there are no non-custom tips in the same league for me.

The bass is even better, more rounded and also to me, more impactful without going OTT.

The treble has opened up more as well.

Comfort wise, they really do fit like a glove and I even started forgetting that they were there after a couple of minutes.

These opinions are only based on a couple of hours use with them, so I'll have a more balanced view after a week or so, but very, very impressed so far.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #114 of 142
Hey HeadphoneAddict,

I was wondering how you feel about the UM-56 tips with your Westone 3? Are you happy with the investment overall? Are there any cons about them?

I am using the comply tips on them but they need to get replaced way too frequently.

I might jump the gun on the impressions kit and take them to my audiologist. I called a few places and got a quote for $40 for just the session!

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #115 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey HeadphoneAddict,

I was wondering how you feel about the UM-56 tips with your Westone 3? Are you happy with the investment overall? Are there any cons about them?

I am using the comply tips on them but they need to get replaced way too frequently.

I might jump the gun on the impressions kit and take them to my audiologist. I called a few places and got a quote for $40 for just the session!

I am happy with my UM-56. I get my best sound with them, and good isolation as well.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #116 of 142
I found this thread trying to choose the best tips for my new Westone 2's.

I was wondering if anyone's tried these and if they would work like modding tr flanges.

Future Sonics, Inc.: EarFills™ silicone sleeves, Medium

just an idea.. I'm about to try cutting my tri flanges into a bi like everyone is suggesting, but I already cut the stock so it might to be short.

Edit* Wow, I didn't realize I revived such an old thread with that bump. lol. I'm also wondering how EVERYONE that cut there Tri's into bi flanges, if anyone tried the bi flanges for the er6i and er4 on ety's site.. or are they smaller, and larger than the tri's cut. I bought the smalls and they are tiny.

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #117 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this thread trying to choose the best tips for my new Westone 2's.

I was wondering if anyone's tried these and if they would work like modding tr flanges.

Future Sonics, Inc.: EarFills™ silicone sleeves, Medium

I haven't tried those Futuresonics bi-flanges, but I'm not sure they'll fit properly on the W2s. Why not just get more of the Shure tri-flanges, which definitely fit and sound pretty good (at least on the W3)?

Old thread but a goodie. I got my W3s 2 months ago so I just voted now. Here are my rankings:

1. UM56: No surprise that these are the best (considering what they cost). Best for sound quality, but comfort may be a slight notch below Complys, depending on the quality of the fit you get with the UM56 (mine cause some soreness after prolonged listening). Isolation may be a little less than tri/bi-flanges. These also tend to itch after an hour or so of listening.

2. Complys (P-series): 2nd best in sound quality for me. Large soundstage, full sound and powerful bass. Comfort would be tops if not for the itch factor--these itch my ears the most.

3. Bi-flanges: Great isolation, although these amplify my body sounds the most (walking, breathing, etc.). Sound is somewhat veiled compared to Complys.

4. Gray silicones: The only tips that don't make me want to scratch my ears off; I could wear these for days. Their sound quality seems to be pretty close to, but maybe slightly worse than, the bi-flanges. I wear these with a shallow insertion, which creates a more airy, distant sound.

5. Shure olives: Maybe I didn't give these enough of a chance, but they really muffled and darkened the sound to me.

Here's hoping the W3s fall back into favor with Head-fiers! It seems like a tidal wave of hype about them came and went here, but I'm loving them regardless.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #118 of 142
after experimenting for nearly a week..i can say ..shure olives (turned upside down.) i.e the smaller side towards the nozzle and bigger side towards the ear canal...gives the best sound.

it basically increases the distance of the tube and reduces perceived sibilance.

it also gives the best seal/sound isolation.

i mite just try shure olives large to see if they give better seal as my ear canals are quite large.

grey silicone are good but since they are thin..they dont give very good noise isolation even though they seal your ears well...also due to small opening..i think they cause little sibilance effect

try shure olives upside down..and enjoy Westone 3.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #119 of 142
Does anyone know any way to buy a pair of Westone gray silicone tips without buying a whole fit kit? I find them just a little more comfortable and a little softer than the Shure gray large soft flex sleeves. (The ridge on the Shure hurts my ear; also, I think they're a little less crisp sounding.)

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #120 of 142
For those who still have trouble finding a fit with the W3's, I found a way to use sony hybrids or any standard tip that you would normally use on brands like sony, sennheiser etc. Just simply take out the tubing on the short comply tips, and put the tubing through the tip you want to use. Most tips fit on perfectly. Now I am using sony hybrids with the W3s and they sound great and feel comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back