Your favorite W3 Tips
Dec 17, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #46 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the poor quality photo.

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1513-um56.jpg

Wow, those are long. It must be a difference in our ears. I also have a set of custom ear plugs that were made years ago by a different audiologist and the length on those are about the same as my UM56.

Dec 17, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #47 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent a good part of my evening experimenting with tips and I have to say I've never run up against an IEM this sensitive to tips, the sound can change fairly dramatically depending on tip.

Well said.

PS: if you get a chance, recommend you also try the Shure Olive tips - I'd be interested to see how they compare to the others, in your ears.

Dec 17, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #48 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said.

PS: if you get a chance, recommend you also try the Shure Olive tips - I'd be interested to see how they compare to the others, in your ears.

The olives were the first tips I used and they had a fairly significant amount of sibilance issues not to mention the treble was rather smeared in comparison to the tri-flanges.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #49 of 142
Quote:

Well said.

PS: if you get a chance, recommend you also try the Shure Olive tips

I bought 10 pairs of the Shure olives in the hope they'd be better than the stock tips, but they didn't cut it for me at all. As for the 'reversed' olive thingy, well, they just fell off immediately.

Did I do something wrong??
confused_face.gif

I also bought 5 pairs of the JAYS tips, and didn't find them to be an improvement either. So far, I'm out $90 on the tips, and $600 for the W3, and it's turned into the most expensive earphone purchase to date!! Oh well, never mind, the W3 sound great, and my ears seem to have 'stretched' so they're not uncomfortable anymore either
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, if anyone wants to buy 5 pairs of Shure olives and/or 4 pairs of JAYS silicon tips in medium, PM me!!

EDIT: Ooops, forgot to say which are my 'favourites'! I'm using the small grey silicons, and they're not exactly my favourite - they're just the least crap ones for my ears. They're a bit itchy after a while, oh, and I'm really disappointed that I've had so little luck with the tips, especially as there's such a big variety.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #50 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The olives were the first tips I used and they had a fairly significant amount of sibilance issues not to mention the treble was rather smeared in comparison to the tri-flanges.

You know, this whole topic of individual variance interests me.

We are all into this hobby enough to have our (by definition, subjective) comments be taken at face value.

Therefore, there has to be some real phenomenon, or more than one,
which is causing the variance.

1. Personal taste for that particular "acoustic signature"
(assuming it's well-rendered, in all cases)

2. Individual variance in the mechanical / acoustical coupling of that particular earphone, with that particular tip, in that particular ear canal.

3. Synergy, or lack thereof, with the rest of that particular signal train (source, LOD, amp)

4. ?Beats me?

Anybody have any suggestions for what else might be going on?

(that's an invitation for sarcasm, but please, try to resist)

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #51 of 142
After receiving the IEM's in the mail, I think if everyone just waited a week (me included) or so and used them, sampled them, etc. before commenting, it would probably clear up a lot of the inconsistencies.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #52 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After receiving the IEM's in the mail, I think if everyone just waited a week (me included) or so and used them, sampled them, etc. before commenting, it would probably clear up a lot of the inconsistencies.

Yeah, I certainly agree with that sentiment. Although early reviews from those that have awesome descriptive skills like HeadphoneAddict are very appreciated. I have experimented with all of the tips that came with the Westones, and I purchased the medium Shure olives in addition. I like the olives of everything that I tried. The custom tips look scary to me. I don't really think that I want anything going that deeply into my ears. The olives and the medium Complys were close, but the sound with the olives is clearer. The bass is much better with the olives in my limited experience...

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #54 of 142
Quote:

You know, this whole topic of individual variance interests me.

We are all into this hobby enough to have our (by definition, subjective) comments be taken at face value.

Therefore, there has to be some real phenomenon, or more than one,
which is causing the variance.

1. Personal taste for that particular "acoustic signature"
(assuming it's well-rendered, in all cases)

2. Individual variance in the mechanical / acoustical coupling of that particular earphone, with that particular tip, in that particular ear canal.

3. Synergy, or lack thereof, with the rest of that particular signal train (source, LOD, amp)

4. ?Beats me?

Anybody have any suggestions for what else might be going on?

(that's an invitation for sarcasm, but please, try to resist)

I have to agree with the first two bullet points for sure. Personal taste has a huge effect on what ends up sounding good, or right, from individual to individual (and personal taste in and of itself is already profoundly affected by the hearing sensitivities of the individual as well). The mechanical/acoustical coupling is also key, because many may not realize it, but although we are all the one and same species, our ears differ dramatically in size, shape, form etc. from each other (as evidenced by the difference in shape from one person's set of UM56s to the next). This has a huge effect on which tip suits each wearer best!

That being said, I'm a fool and didn't find this thread until after I posted this one. If a moderator sees this post and/or that thread, please delete that thread for me. Apologies. Anyhow, I'll just reiterate what I stated there to here for convenience:

Recently made the switch to Westone 3s from the UE Triple.fi 10 Pros (which, a while back, were already an upgrade from an old pair of Etymotic ER-4S'). I noticed that the vocals were way out in the back with most tips I tried until I finally bought some size S Shure black olives.

After initial auditioning of tips that I had handy, I settled on the small size Comply tips that were included with the Westone 3s up until this point because they sounded the most natural and flat with my ears compared to using the rest of the provided tips. I had a set of size M Shure black olives laying around that I tried, but they were uncomfortably tight for me and it seemed they were dimming out the sound signature (perhaps from the openings being pinched tight or shut due to them being too big).

Going on a hunch though, I decided to try ordering a set of the size S black olives. They came in today and I immediately auditioned them. As it turns out, with the size S black olives, I'm getting very close to the sound I wanted! Everything is as bright as I'd hope without being ear-bleeding sharp (my hearing sensitivity has as significant peak in the high range, so IEMs with a sound more like the Etymotic ER-4S tend to cause significant hearing fatigue for me in short time). Essentially, brightness is now, "perfect," for me.

Midrange has come alive as well; vocals are way more forward, very close to where I'd want it to be now (not in your face, but in the foreground, as the vocalist would and should be coming from when in a stage setting). I think the only weak point I am detecting in the sound signature, personally, is that the bass, while sufficiently fast and resolute, is a bit heavy, and as a result a bit lacking in dynamics (there's rarely a dynamic spread of subtle bass when it should be and heavy bass when it should be--it's just pretty much always medium to heavy). The only solution I've found for this, so far, is to listen with the volume down, but then that pushes the mids and highs back a bunch.

Anyone else want to chime in on the results of their experiments with various tips on the Westone 3s? How about suggestions on how to soften the bass a little bit without resorting to using an EQ (or is EQ really the only solution)? Just FYI my source is an iPhone 3G and I actually listen to a very wire variety of music, though primarily concentrated on rock/metal/alternative and Latin/Columbian music, with a sprinkling of pop and jazz/blues.

Judging by the responses in this thread though, it seems the jacked-up bass is essentially a side-effect of using the black olives. I will experiment a little more with the tri-flanges now, but my initial testing (when these IEMs were completely brand-new) told me that bass was insufficient for my taste with them. Perhaps now that I have put in a few weeks' worth of break-in/listening, they may work better with the tri-flanges (which I modified by shortening the base since they were running into my ear drums at stock length).

Btw, an observation I've made while reading this thread, is that the body of the IEMs themselves are sitting in very different positions from person to person. Some people are indicating that with the short Complys, they can't get any seal at all and it sounds as though the units sit almost like ear buds for them, way out from the canal. On the other hand, when I use any of the Comply tips with these, the body nestles fully into my ear and the entire tip is in my canal; as a matter of fact, the thick, translucent single-flange tips that came with the Westone 3s literally hurt my ears because of the rough edges on the far-/body-end of the flanges rubbing up into/against my ear canals, so I can't barely even audition them from lack of comfort.

-Ed

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #56 of 142
I'm using the triple-flanges now and am finding that these actually did the job if rendering out the excess, "fat," on the bass end of things, but I miss the extreme isolation of the black olives, and I feel as though I'm losing a bit of definition in the highs compared to the black olives well. Additionally, I think I will have difficulty getting a consistent seal with these compared to the black olives. I'll keep playing around and coming back with further feedback if I have any...

-Ed

EDIT: Hmm...on second thought, I'm finding that the vocals are sliding into the background again using the triflange compared to the black olives. This seems to be a tough compromise...

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #57 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tried all tips:

gray silicon: little isolation
white flex: uncomf
comply: crap
olives: best tip, but they are hard to take off, and i dnt wanna risk breaking the nozzle

comfort wise its great, sq wise, havnt experimented enough to comment

Agreed. The olives seem to have the best sq, but my god it feels like I am going to rip the phone apart trying to remove them, so I settled for the large grey silicon tips, very close in sq and no worries about ruining my W3.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #58 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by cameron991 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. The olives seem to have the best sq, but my god it feels like I am going to rip the phone apart trying to remove them, so I settled for the large grey silicon tips, very close in sq and no worries about ruining my W3.

The Olives do present a challenging "removal" problem.

Try pulling them out SLOWLY - like uncorking a wine bottle, it helps a lot.

(also, try rotating them a bit - back-to-front - while slowly removing)

Haven't yet found another universal tip that matches the Olive SQ on the W3's - at least to these ears.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #60 of 142
It seems that based on this poll, foam-type tips are the most favored (olive/Comply take up around 60% of the vote).

What I wonder, now, is how many of those that voted for Complys don't actually have olive tips to try out (since they aren't included).

On a separate note, I received my large olive tips (I traditionally wear medium-sized tips) and they are sounding superb. With the 3's placed at the entrances of my ears (as opposed to far deep in), the sound and isolation is great. The larger diameter of the large-sized tips fill in the entrances of my ears better and don't contribute much more discomfort.

I think I'm finally completely satisfied with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back