Your favorite W3 Tips
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried, but unfortunately it's not working for me. I changed from slim to full size Comply tips, but the bass becomes too pronounced and the treble is muted. I think what is happening is that my ear canal is too narrow for the tip, so that when the foam expands inside the ear it actually closes off the sound tube and attenuates the high frequencies. Also, the tip feels uncomfortably large in my ear.

You still may be attempting to insert too deep - My UM2s are designed to only go deep enough to seal and that aids in their fantastic comfort. If your favorite tips don't work in this new IEM, I would suggest trying a different tip type - even if you didn't prefer them before. A new IEM may react quite differently to a tip & fit than your old IEM (I found this out moving tips from my Ety4Ps to my UM2s). Good luck.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #33 of 142
Put a fresh, uncut pair of tri-flanges on my W3's and headed out to the gym on this cold, Michigan morning.

Fully enjoying the unmodded tri-flanges, seal was good, comfort level good, sound was good, too.

I think I will keep listening to the more rugged tri-flanges at the gym (where sweat seems like it can be a factor in beating up the Comply tips, and drastically shortening their life), and use the Comply tips at home for relaxed listening.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #36 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll get a picture of my UM-56 up later, but mine go significantly deeper into the ear canal.

Hmm. I can't imagine having them go in much deeper... The photos I took didn't really illustrate that well though. Is this closer to what you were expecting?
UM56-3.jpg

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #38 of 142
The Shure black foam eartips work the best for me with the Complys close behind at 2nd place.

For whatever reason, I can't get a satisfactory sound out of any of the other tips (I also tried modifying the triflanges into biflanges). I think my ears tend to like wider eartip openings.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #39 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I can't imagine having them go in much deeper... The photos I took didn't really illustrate that well though. Is this closer to what you were expecting?
UM56-3.jpg

Mine go past the second bend further by about 3 mm or more. I'll get a photo up soon.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #41 of 142
I've spent a good part of my evening experimenting with tips and I have to say I've never run up against an IEM this sensitive to tips, the sound can change fairly dramatically depending on tip.

I've had sibilance issues right from the get go, the Comply's helped quite a bit but the problems would still crop up on occasion which I found terribly frustrating. Through my experimenting tonight I found the large Klipsch bi-flange ear gels may be the best for me but they're just a tad short and small so I can't get a consistent seal in my right ear. Next is one of my modified tri-flanges, the same pair that I used on my E500's for a long time. This pair is still a tri-flange but the stock has been cut down so that the end is a bit back from the end of the last flange. I stopped using these awhile back because I've become very sensitive to the materials in these types of tips but I going to try to tough it out with these and see if I can get used to them again because they sound quite good and pretty much eliminate the sibilance issues I've been having and they sound pretty darn good as well. The next on my list are the large Comply's and Ety grey foam.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #42 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent a good part of my evening experimenting with tips and I have to say I've never run up against an IEM this sensitive to tips, the sound can change fairly dramatically depending on tip.

I've had sibilance issues right from the get go, the Comply's helped quite a bit but the problems would still crop up on occasion which I found terribly frustrating. Through my experimenting tonight I found the large Klipsch bi-flange ear gels may be the best for my but they're just a tad short and small so I can't get a consistent seal in my right ear. Next is one of my modified tri-flanges, the same pair that I used on my E500's for a long time. I've been really sensitive to the materials in these types of tips but I going to try to tough it out with these and see if I can get used to them again because they sound quite good and pretty much eliminate the sibilance issues I've been having and they sound pretty darn good as well. The next on my list are the large Comply's and Ety grey foam.

Very interested in your finding there..where can i get them online?

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #43 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interested in your finding there..where can i get them online?

The ones I have are from Shure so they should be available on their site or from their retailers. They appear to be similar to the ones included with the Westone's but they are a bit larger in diameter overall.

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #44 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ones I have are from Shure so they should be available on their site or from their retailers. They appear to be similar to the ones included with the Westone's but they are a bit larger in diameter overall.

Are these the ones ?
Shure * - Triple Flange Sleeves

how do you mod em?

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #45 of 142
Yes, that appears to be them.

Over the last little while I've ended up with a few tri-flanges so I have a few variations around. In this instance I started slowly by just cutting a bit off the stock (the end that goes on the nozzle) to make them a bit shorter, I'd then try them on the IEM's and repeat until I found a sound I was happy with. As I mentioned in my edited post, I ended up cutting the stock back so that it's just a bit further back than the end of the last flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back