Your favorite W3 Tips
Dec 25, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #61 of 142
Playing around this evening, I decided to go ahead and try modifying the tri-flange tips further to shape the sound. I decided that perhaps the tip being too long was allowing the opening to narrow excessively at the farthest end into the ear/farthest from the end of the nozzle, so I cut off the smallest flange. Lo and behold, I've been able to bring the vocals back forward, while at the same time achieving reduced bass bloom compared to the black olives! I did a sloppy job on the modification, so I've ordered some new tri-flange tips. As soon as they come in, I'll modify a fresh pair, shoot pictures of the tips alone as well as installed onto the Westone 3s and post them so you get an idea what I found to be the best sounding tip configuration. I'm finally satisfied!!!

-Ed

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #62 of 142
This sleeve suggestion comes way out of left field, but so far, with about an hour of listening, I am almost convinced I have hit the right sleeve for me. Like many others, I found the hard silicone and soft silicone Westone sleeve offerings not happening. I then tried the modded tri-flanges (before trying the small shure olives), and was pretty satisfied with both fit and SQ. Only thing, the pressure from the flanges bothers me a bit. Not painful, but a weird feeling.

I got home tonight from two hours of riding in the car and listening to the modded flanges, and gathered up every sleeve I could find that would possibly fit the W3s. First, I had a single pair of old Atrio M5 foamies (the larger ones) in my "leftover" tip bag, and stuck them on the W3s. They are very soft, comfy foamies, but do not have a long shelf life (from my memory using them with Atrios). Peach colored. As soon as I turned on my Zune, I was blown away. Every part of the W3 sound was right to me. I have some other things to do tonight (like a poker game), but I plan on doing more serious listening with these foamies over the weekend.

Anyone who owns or owned the Atrios might have a pair around. They are not easy to get inserted, since they are cylindrical, the same shape as the Ety foamies (though softer, so even easier to roll). But once in place and sealing the ear canal, they really sound excellent to me. They are relatively cheap ($15 for 5 pair), with $7 S&H. I ordered 10 pair tonight. If someone wants to try them, I will send a pair via USPS for the cost of the foamies plus the stamp. This way, W3 owners can try before they buy. PM me if you are interested. If you want to buy and try your own, here's the link...

Future Sonics, Inc.: Atrio Series (TM) and Ear Monitors (R) brand professional earphones by Future Sonics: ACCESSORIES

I also ordered 5 pair of the Comply T100 standards today from Flavio at Earphonesolutionsl.com, as I have a pair of those around too, and they also are very comfy, seal well, and don't create the same pressure as the flanges (at least to my ears).

Neither of these foamies resulted in any sibilance, in my view. But that has not been an issue for me with the W3s, so YMMV.

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #65 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsatmans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just cut my tri-flanged down to dual-flanged. I am really enjoying my w3 a lot more. I enjoyed the comply but after a few uses they were super soft and would not seal.

did mod the stems as well?

Dec 27, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #66 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jim Barry, my comments were not based on SQ.

In regards to my dislike for Comply's, here is why:

7.30am: put complys on, and use for 1hr till 8.30 am - sound great, very comfy, isolate fantastically. This was my first use of the comply tips

8.30am: take out complys and put in bag, put grey plastic tips and use until 5pm.

5pm: put comply tips on.

5.05am: put earphones in ear - comply flimsy, did not isolate, did not seal well, because of crap seal, sq just went down the drain. Took earphones out, let complys relax, compressed again, put in ear, waited around 2minuts again, tried music. Still failed.

The comply were just crap quality, I expected them to last longer than 1 day!

How about the Ety triflanges? have you tried? they are smaller than the w3 triflanges~

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #67 of 142
Solved my Westone 3 sibilance issues finally! Tried the most sibilant track i have and no sibilance!
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #68 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Solved my Westone 3 sibilance issues finally! Tried the most sibilant track i have and no sibilance!
biggrin.gif

How?

-Ed

Jan 1, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #71 of 142
Quote:

Unmodded shure triflange tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I see; thank you. I tried using the triflange tips that came with the Westone 3, but they were too long and hitting my ear drums, so I trimmed the stems a little bit and then a little bit more but eventually I wound up cutting the third flange at the tip off; had I known I would do that, I would've kept the stem regular length and started with the end flange. My sack of RoadRunner Audio triple flange long almond tips just came in today, so I can now begin experimenting with these fresh ones. First thing I'll try is leaving the stem alone and nipping off the third flange immediately to see how it sounds, and then I will go from there. I may have to have one pair of tips tuned for the iPhone 3G headphone out, and another pair tuned for my home rig/Benchmark DAC1.

-Ed

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #72 of 142
The westone tri-flange also solved the sibilance for me.

But it was just way too big and uncomfortable in my ear - when I cut the third, smallest flange off it improved the comfort but the sibilance came right back.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #73 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicktheNorse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The westone tri-flange also solved the sibilance for me.

But it was just way too big and uncomfortable in my ear - when I cut the third, smallest flange off it improved the comfort but the sibilance came right back.

shure triflanges somehow feels more comfortable for me..i get irritation at first, but after 3-4 times of using it, i dare say it feels comfortable
dt880smile.png

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #74 of 142
Quote:

shure triflanges somehow feels more comfortable for me..i get irritation at first, but after 3-4 times of using it, i dare say it feels comfortable
dt880smile.png

I just ordered some Shure triflanges to compare against these RoadRunner Audio ones, to see if there's a difference.

-Ed

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #75 of 142
I've tried the tri/bi flanges modded three different ways and just can't get them to sound right. Hard to put my finger on it but they just don't sound right to me. It's complys for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back