Your favorite Steely Dan album
Feb 22, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #46 of 62

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #49 of 62
It occurs to me that asking which Steely Dan album is my favorite is not unlike asking me which four-star restaurant in Paris is my favorite. They're pretty much all outstanding, it's just the creativity of different flavors that separates one from the next. My penny's worth.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #51 of 62
am in the process of re-discovering Steely Dan albums with my current gear.

if you've heard much of their catalogue (or even if you haven't) two albums I recommend:

Two Against Nature  (2000)

Kamakiriad  -  (1993 - Donald Fagen with Walter Becker)

...I initially thought Kamakiriad had some weak songs, but upon further listening
love pretty much the whole album.

Becker/Fagen production is absolutely top-notch, as is the playing/instrumentation and musicality
on both albums (and on most of the SD catalogue)

PS: ....Kamakiriad made me realize where the High Llamas later albums got their inspiration from,
e.g. check out their album Talahomi Way!

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #52 of 62
I guess I would say that my favorites are Countdown to Ecstasy and Pretzel Logic. My favorite song though is "Deacon Blues" from Aja.
Here is a neat video:

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #53 of 62

"Gaslighting Abbey", the opening track on Two Against Nature, is for me preturnatural Steely Dan art.

Quint-essantial SD vibe - the precision, then the 50's + 60's smooth jazz/post bop funky but also cerebral musical art/song.

NY hip nerd in his late 50's/early 60's - very passionate yet cool - the colours blue and violet come to my imagination

if the song captivates you....then listening to the whole album is recommended.

Nov 20, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #55 of 62
aja
gaucho
royal scam

SD are geniuses , nice to see some people digging them in this age of plastic music and monkey 'artists'

cheers

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #56 of 62
Today, I'd say  Gaucho > TRS > Aja > Pretzel Logic

Tomorrow, maybe different..SD made 7 classics in 8 years time

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #57 of 62

right now....Two Against Nature is my all time fave...

also listen to Morph the Cat and some Aja...great stuff here 
and in most of the SD catalogue

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #58 of 62

...right now....Two Against Nature is my all time fave...

also some listening to Morph the Cat and some Aja...great stuff here 
and in most of the SD catalogue

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #59 of 62
Gaucho for me, although I just played Two Against Nature last night from the Tidal Masters - FANTASTIC

All the studio albums are great, but I don't know if the live albums are any good.

I would really like to know what other artists are similar to Steely Dan - are there any recommendations??

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #60 of 62
Gaucho for me, although I just played Two Against Nature last night from the Tidal Masters - FANTASTIC

All the studio albums are great, but I don't know if the live albums are any good.

I would really like to know what other artists are similar to Steely Dan - are there any recommendations??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back