Your favorite Steely Dan album
May 27, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 62
Royal Scam
Countdown To Ecstasy
Can't Buy A Thrill
Pretzel Logic
Gaucho

May 27, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #33 of 62
I figure that The Royal Scam is such a popular album because it has some of Larry Carlton's best guitar work... Such great solos! It's a nice introduction to the more rockin' side of SD.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #34 of 62
Favorite SD album: Gaucho.

Close second: Aja.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #35 of 62
No way I could pick a favourite Dan album. Gaucho or Cant Buy A Thrill probably gets the most playtime. But both probably lag behind The Nightfly and 11 Tracks Of Whack.

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #37 of 62
I'm inclined to put Aja ahead of Gaucho as a work of art, though I like the variety and sense of humor on Katy Lied. The song Katy Lied seesms to belong on Aja, musically and sonically speaking - at least that's what I've always felt. It's one of the very best songs they recorded, and Phil Woods just rips that solo - there's not another alto solo in pop/rock like it. Which seems to bring me back Aja, in an indirect way. And that's only because I don't have some of the others. Better get myself to the record store asap. There's work to be done.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 62
I love every one of them, but Aja if I had to pick just one. It has such amazing flow from one track to the next.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #40 of 62
That's easy for me: Gaucho. (It's the only one I currently own.)
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 62
Definitely got to go with Aja. I do agree that it is the most "lubricated" -- the earlier albums definitely make you work a little harder.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely got to go with Aja. I do agree that it is the most "lubricated" -- the earlier albums definitely make you work a little harder.

Very true.

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #44 of 62
... Wow ... This is my favorite band EVER so-far ... and I'm only 22, so it's not like I've been listening to their music for decades like many of you, but I guarantee that when the hours add-up, I've given them more listening time than most of you probably have and I can easily say without hesitation their best album is:

THE ROYAL SCAM

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #45 of 62
By the thinnest of margins:

1. Royal Scam...........intro lead solo on "Don't Take Me Alive" is enough to make me put this #1.

2. Countdown to Ecstasy........because of "My Old School".

The others are all tied in third place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back