Your favorite Steely Dan album
May 24, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 62
So much to choose from -- there really was no undistinguished effort until after Guaucho - and Fagan's solo The Nightfly.

In terms of sheer absolutes, I figure you've got to ask yourself what's to be prioritized: the band's famous cynicism and misanthropy or its silky-smooth pop reveries. Not surprisingly for a band that derives its name from a dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch, SD can be nasty as hell. In my opinion, their most bitter and brilliant invectives are in The Royal Scam and Gaucho. As for concentrated pop-goodness (of the most compelling and sophisticated sort) I'll side with Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic and the most lubricated of them all Aja.

Though really The Nightfly just about surpasses Aja as a seamless monument to 80s pop. If you've never listened to it, you really otter.

May 24, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 62
As far as I am concerned, Countdown to Ecstasy does the job. Pretzel Logic is not far behind, but - to me - Countdown has a freshness and wit that they never excelled and equaled occasionally, but never as completely as they did with this one. Songs like "My Old School" really do sum up, for me, anyway, Steely Dan.

Of course, this is all degrees of difference, given the really high quality of all their records during their "salad days."

May 24, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PSmith08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I am concerned, Countdown to Ecstasy does the job. Pretzel Logic is not far behind, but - to me - Countdown has a freshness and wit that they never excelled and equaled occasionally, but never as completely as they did with this one. Songs like "My Old School" really do sum up, for me, anyway, Steely Dan.

Agreed, there's an incisiveness mixed evenly with bravado in Countdown

"Even Cathy Berberian knows/ There's one roulade she can't sing"

May 24, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 62
AJA - most of my favorite Steely Dan songs are on this album.

Close 2nd is ROYAL SCAM.

favorite song: "Gaucho"

it's not like it has any deep emotional connection or meaning, it's just, the lyrics and the way the story is told is so masterful, the way the music wraps around the words.. one of the finest music/lyric combinations of all time.

-jar

May 24, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 62
I'd have to go with Gaucho and The Royal Scam.

Aja doesn't do it for me either, in fact that album almost completely turned me off to Steely Dan until The Nightfly peaked my interest in the band.

I also vote Steely Dan cheesiest name of all for a band.

May 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 62
Gaucho.

While most of their commercial hits were scattered elsewhere, the sheer quality of every song is breath-taking to me. I think its a case of "the sum is greater than the parts, which also kick ass nonetheless".

Not an ounce of fat on the whole thing.

May 24, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also vote Steely Dan cheesiest name of all for a band.

Id vote for Nunwhore Commando 666
tongue.gif

or maybe Bread.

May 24, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id vote for Nunwhore Commando 666
tongue.gif

or maybe Bread.

LMAO!

Bread is about as cheesy as it gets as well! lol

Bread should be referred to as Pizza! lol