Your favorite Steely Dan album
May 25, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 62
It's amazing that there is no real consensus among us as to which is the best.

Actually, come to think of it, that's probably why they are so great. Because they have albums that appeal to so many different people.

While I chose Royal Scam and Gaucho as my top two, I think I could just as easily chosen something like Pretzel Logic and Two Against Nature.

Although my musical tastes have changed throughout the years, the Dan are one band that has always remained in the rotation.

May 25, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, come to think of it, that's probably why they are so great. Because they have albums that appeal to so many different people.

While I chose Royal Scam and Gaucho as my top two, I think I could just as easily chosen something like Pretzel Logic and Two Against Nature.

Although my musical tastes have changed throughout the years, the Dan are one band that has always remained in the rotation.

Aaargh Matey!!! The brass monkey stands on why ye favor them!

May 25, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #19 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Steely Dan story:

Year, 1981, my age.. 11. Family Trip to Florida, camping, one of those "crank-up" campers, we pulled it with my dad's Chevy Scottsdale pickup. No king cab in those days. No A/C. My brother and I rode in the back on a bus seat bolted to the bed of the pickup. Yes, there was a cap on the truck. And a "pass-thru" window so we could communicate with my folks. Long ass trip, I think we were gone about a month. Sweat box. ugh. All down the east coast. In July. Heh.

Anyhoo, I had taken to recording Kasey Casem's (Casey Kasem? I always ferget) top 40.. and on one particular tape was "Hey Nineteen" - for some reason that song possessed me (and my brother to a lesser extent), but we must have listened to that song a hundred times. We kept rewinding the damn tape recorder (one of those top-loading office recorders, not really even made for music..) over and over and over.. The funny thing, is, I was 11, didn't have any idea at all what "Quervo Gold" was.. I couldn't even understand most of the lyrics.. but for some reason, it just got under my skin.

Several years later, after I got my first CD player, I picked up the "DECADE OF STEELY DAN" compilation (the one that was made for CD).. and again, I got hooked. Luckily, I didn't invest a whole lot buying Steely Dan albums because happily the CITIZEN box set came out.. that was a happy day for me. Still a big fan after all these years..

my other happy day was scoring a MFSL AJA for $5.00 in some used bin. Heheheheh they didn't know what they had!

But I'm sure you all have better things to read about..

-jar

May 25, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #20 of 62
Gaucho.

Having the MFSL version of it doesn't hurt either.
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #21 of 62
Hm. What to do , what to do.....

I suppose Aja. But Gaucho, well that comes in a VERY close second. Then I would vote for Katy Lied: you can see it in her eyes.

The music from these albums just continues to impress me years after their release.

May 25, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #22 of 62
Royal Scam, then Aja... Sometimes it goes the other way. It's sort of like OK Computer versus Kid A; one has the songs, one has the album flow. Countdown to Ecstacy has some tasty moments, though. Just listen to how dry but well-recorded the strings are on "Through With Buzz."
icon10.gif

May 26, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 62
For me, Can't Buy a Thrill. Brings back great memories from my childhood, plus it is just damn good music. After that would be Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic.

I really love all the albums though, as Steely Dan is one of my favorite handfull of bands ever.

May 26, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #28 of 62
Their first 4 albums are all very good and its hard to pick a best from those.I am a little surprised by all of the Royal Scam love because I was a little disapointed in it when it first came out but still a good recording.

May 27, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #30 of 62
VERY difficult question, since they are ALL so good, but for me:

1. Aja
2. Katy Lied
3. Gaucho
4. Royal Scam
5. Pretzel Logic
6. Can't Buy a Thrill
7. Countdown to Ecstasy
8. Two Against Nature
9. Everything Must Go (actually not to wild about this one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back