your favorite musical genre?
May 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #181 of 245
I love to hear songs whenever i am free , my favorite music genre i pop , but i also love the romantic songs , my favorite song is let me in from the movie titanic.

May 28, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #182 of 245

Quote:
i think that metal has the most subgenres out of any genre on the pole,..

I'd say it's the blues that has the most sub genres. I hear the blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll. I think the blues also gave birth to jazz too. The bottom line is most music was born out of some sort of big ol kosmic stew. I imagine it probably helps if you understand the roots of certain artists, genres, or sub genres but at the end of the day most of us end up living in that place that gets to us and that was the question wasnt it. I like bluesy guitar driven rock, jam bands, and americana in all it's various incarnations, and I loathe corporate crap.

May 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #183 of 245
If I'm being honest...

Punk - 50%
Post Rock - 20%
Hip Hop - 20%
Jazz - 5%
Metal - 5%

My definition of punk is fairly wide, to be honest. Most of my music is clearly influenced from the origins of punk, so it all kind of falls under that umbrella.

May 29, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #184 of 245
The poll results thus far are exactly like I predicted
eek.gif

May 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #185 of 245

Quote:
The poll results thus far are exactly like I predicted
eek.gif

Really? they surprised me a little i would think classical and jazz would have been the most popular here. yet metal and rock are teh most popular. i guess my favorite genres of music is still really popular. do you think the ages of the members on head-fi might have something to do with it.

May 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #186 of 245
Honestly I do think age has a lot to do with it.  I grew up listening to classical music because it was the only type I had.  I still like it but don't listen to it often.  In my early 20's I loved Hardcore,Trance, Techno etc, because I was partying a lot to that kind of sound.  Now my music tastes have mellowed out a bit, I still love dance music but listen to more vocal and instrumental music from various artists, I am more refined and picky about soud quality.

So yes, age changes things, before I would have been happy with some good beats, now I want more content and depth to my music.

May 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #187 of 245

Quote:
Really? they surprised me a little i would think classical and jazz would have been the most popular here. yet metal and rock are teh most popular. i guess my favorite genres of music is still really popular. do you think the ages of the members on head-fi might have something to do with it.

I dunno, but just looking at the threads here, rock (and its subgenre, metal) definitely predominate. By contrast, there are far fewer jazz and classical threads. The poll results seem right in line with that. It could be an age thing, but I'd guess that most of the classical and jazz fans here (if we're presuming that they're the oldsters) are of the age that they've been listening to rock a good bit of their lives, too. Though I could very well be wrong, jazz in particular still seems to be "discovery" music around here…the jazz threads are usually "What should I pick up?" rather than, say, "Who has the new Sonny Rollins? Isn't it great?"…

May 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #188 of 245
The thing is, this is the internet. Which means a disproportionate percentage of posters are going to be high school and college aged guys. This means rock will obviously be the dominant genre for that demographic.There are some older audiophiles, but are they going to use the internet primarily as their place of interest? Probably not. At its core, Head-Fi boils down to 15-23 year old computer geeks who chose to learn about good headphones one day, stumbled upon Head-Fi, and decided to throw all of their money into this new hobby.

May 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #190 of 245

Quote:
The thing is, this is the internet. Which means a disproportionate percentage of posters are going to be high school and college aged guys. This means rock will obviously be the dominant genre for that demographic.There are some older audiophiles, but are they going to use the internet primarily as their place of interest? Probably not. At its core, Head-Fi boils down to 15-23 year old computer geeks who chose to learn about good headphones one day, stumbled upon Head-Fi, and decided to throw all of their money into this new hobby.

You're very observant and smart. That what you said is what fits me. Although, I do need a hobby besides loving the weather A LOT. Only liking the weather and nothing else becomes rather BORING. So I decided to go for something else that was calling out to me and I did need a good set of headphones, so Head Fi is the perfect place for that. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #191 of 245

Quote:

It seems most of the lo-fi/mid-fi gang here are into things like Metal, Rock, Electronic etc while the high-end is usually into Classical and Jazz. That's the market for the HD800s, T1s, and the like anyhow. Of course the older people here will be the ones who spend more also, and I haven't seen anyone building huge setups with top tier amps, DACs, cables etc for anything outside of lighter genres such as Classical and Light Rock. If you know anyone with a setup like that for Metal, please do point me in their direction
wink.gif
I don't really fit into any of it though, being 17 and listening to 99% metal with high end cans.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #193 of 245

Quote:
Awesome site right there, thanks. But yea some of the connections are pretty off.

yes there is lots off on that website but i liked how it had songs for each genre.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #195 of 245
Quote:

They are still doing a lot better here than if you were to poll people walking by on the street. You would be lucky to hit 5%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back