your favorite musical genre?
May 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #151 of 245
I have tried and failed with bass guitar and mouth organ to learn an instrument. I have watched many a musician live, of all genres from Opera to metal to know that it requires great skill, talent and dedication to become great. So I am the audience, the music fan who is one part of the music industry. I am the chap who woops and applaudes and punches his fist in the air at concerts (not Opera!) and so gives a little appreciation back to the musician which they enjoy, I see it in their faces, and income.

As for knowledge, here a few books from my music library that I would recommend on music history in general.

No fist punches at Opera? You're not listening to the Italians, then :wink:. I think playing or playing at an instrument helps a listener understand what performance takes. I had piano lessons as a kid, played violin for a couple of years, and played around with guitar. But like others on this thread, I don't think playing is essential to appreciation/love. of music.

May 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #152 of 245

Quote:
Here's something to broaden your musical palette then bigshot, a chiptune 8 bit progressive death metal composition. I am serious, and yes I enjoy this music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krKP66dXZpc&feature=related

This is awful, I'm sorry.

Have you even read any of the dialogue in this thread?  I ask because I have no idea what this adds to the conversation.

May 3, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #153 of 245
I guest blogged at Boing Boing and asked the readers there to share YouTube links with me of modern music that was on a par with the skill and creativity of music from the 30s through the 50s. A lot of names were mentioned, a couple were very well considered (Michael Jackson, Prince, etc.) But very few actual links. I got just one or two examples from youtube that fit the criteria. They were virtually unknown musicians. I really think that the whole system is geared against creativity and skill. That used to be the rule, and now it seems to be the exception.

May 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #154 of 245
Actually I have read all of the posts in this thread, and I admit to my post being off-topic, but this whole thread has veered wildly off topic from "your favorite musical genre" to "What is the best musical genre", not that two wrongs make a right.

Also no offense taken, considering I primarily listen to metal I am used to having people say what I listen to is awful, but to me it is wonderful.

May 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #155 of 245

Quote:
Actually I have read all of the posts in this thread, and I admit to my post being off-topic, but this whole thread has veered wildly off topic from "your favorite musical genre" to "What is the best musical genre", not that two wrongs make a right.

Also no offense taken, considering I primarily listen to metal I am used to having people say what I listen to is awful, but to me it is wonderful.

i highly agree, metal is wonderful to me as well. there is a reason i can't stop enjoying it.

May 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #157 of 245
Your favourite genres are all superficial, you haven't got a clue- listen to Bigshot he knows what you should like and appreciate.

May 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #158 of 245
Favourite (that was the point of the thread wasn't it?) for me at the moment would be Rock - but more predominantly Progressive Rock.  Recently discovered Porcupine Tree - loving it.

Tend to listen to a lot of Grunge and Acoustic Rock as well.

Other genre's I enjoy include (in order of preference I guess) - Blues/Soul/Jazz (modern), Classical (esp Tchaikovsky), Trance/Electronic, Sound-Tracks, Opera (the Tenors), even a bit of modern Country.

I used to listen to a lot of harder Rock when I was much younger.  I'm now 44 - and over the last 10 or so years, I've found that my music tastes have widened considerably.

I've read though every post in this thread - and while I see the different points of view, I totally disagree that any genre can be considered "best".  I would also debate that for a lot of the younger posters, it will be interesting to see how much your music tastes change as you grow older and your experience widens.  I remember my parents complaining about my music when I was younger - and thinking I would never get like that.  Funny thing now is that I can relate to what they were saying - but I have always encouraged my kids to listen to what THEY enjoy.

My one piece of advice is to keep trying new things every now and again.  It's always amazing finding something new.  As an example - someone who knew I liked Grunge/Alternative Rock recommended Alice in Chains to me.  Listened to some of their stuff - did not particularly like it.  Then heard their MTV unplugged album.  It's now one of my favourites. 

Personally I think each of our favourite "genre" is a changing and long journey of discovery.  I am totally enjoying every step.

May 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #161 of 245
listen to Bigshot he knows what you should like and appreciate.

"Like" and "Appreciate" are two completely different things.

May 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #162 of 245
Graduated high school in 1979.  Kept listening to the typical U2, REM etc etc recent classic stuff through about 1992 and found myself at a real crossroads.  I had loved music my whole life and never seemed to be at a loss for music but this is where I was at.  Shortly thereafter a friend intoduced me to The Rippingtons "Live in L.A." and Spyro Gyra "Three Wishes" (Pat Metheny Group after that) and a monster was created.  I dabbled a little into smooth jazz but settled into more contemporary jazz and fusion type stuff.

You have to just keep making an effort seek out new music.  It wont come find you.

May 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #163 of 245
Voted for Metal, Pop and Jazz, though more accurately I love Female fronted metal especially Lacuna Coil, man their music is deep,their 'Unleashed Memories' album is flawless.
Haven't liked Pop that much in the past, but some artists have put out some great albums, like Kat Deluna's Pop Dance fusion album 'Inside Out', and Shakira's 'She Wolf' album are great. Unlike Rihanna's attempt at throwing millions at a lot of music producers and expecting to have a great album, 'Loud' is terrible but yet, yes it has sold 5 million copies to Pop and Mainstream listening people who just want to have the newest album, that their friend's tell them is great, hence they go buy the song to see what all the damn fuss is about, once they do listen to the song they're not impressed, but because of compliance with the crowds that damn tune 'What's My Name', in Rihanna's 'Loud', album is everywhere in stores, in people's car's, in homes, in my TV, so yes it becomes popular as it has been drilled into peoples heads with constant exposure. It was drilled into my head for a while, the tune was catchy for yes I am only human I came into my senses though. I appreciate metal, some pop artists and jazz because they are some true and well deserving people who deserve to be listened to, some of who truly work to put out a great album and it shows,most are underground  but have a following Eowyn's 'Silent Screams' Industrial-Christian rock album comes into mind which was independently released but reached the top of the gospel charts.
Like some Hip-Hop though a few like Eminem's 'Recovery' album was out of this world and Nicki Minaj's new album was a great though some of the songs weren't that great.
Inna's new dance album 'Hot' was great too, guess I like too many genres.
Anyway don't wanna write a novel, Smooth Jazz is by far my favourite and it's a music of emotion, don't like people singing to me just wanna feel it.

May 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #164 of 245
I don't like to think of any one thing as a favorite—which is why I still haven't voted—though these days I probably listen to more jazz than anything else (astonishing, eh?). It's safe to say that I listen to metal the least, but I'm waaayyyy into the hard stuff I'm into…once even tried to sing Motörhead at the Punk Rock-Heavy Metal Karaoke thing that happens regularly here in NYC. Good fun…and y'all know there was drinking involved…
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back