your favorite musical genre?
May 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #167 of 245
i think that metal has the most subgenres out of any genre on the pole, i mean each sub genre has at least 3 or 4 if not more sub genres within it (ei within death metal: Technical death, brutal death, melodic death) each with a substantial amount of bands practicing that sub sub genre, there are so many metal bands

but anyway i voted for metal and it surprised me the amount of metalheads on head-fi \m/

May 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #168 of 245
Well, I always thought metal was a subgenre of, um…whaddya-call-it? Oh yeah, rock…
L3000.gif

May 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #170 of 245

Quote:
Well, I always thought metal was a subgenre of, um…whaddya-call-it? Oh yeah, rock…
L3000.gif

i do not believe that metal is not a subgenre of rock, the structure in which each are composed are fairly different. to say that metal is a subgenrre of rock is like saying rock is a subgenre of blues

May 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #171 of 245
The structure of black metal (lets take darkspace as an example) is fairly different than the structure and composition of lets say... Limp Bizkit (
wink.gif
) yet both are metal. I'd say Metal and Rock are pretty similar.

May 24, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #172 of 245
lol you cant be serious, limp bizkit is not metal, everybody knows that

and my bad for not clarifying i was talking about the sturcture of the guitar riffs mostly, this is what defines heavy metal and sets it apart from rock

May 24, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #173 of 245
[size=10pt]I am not sure there is any useful merit in distinguishing specific genres of music.  I have noticed that music evolves and changes by borrowing and mixing sounds from different influences. [/size]
[size=10pt]I listen to Everything and like music from more or less each genre.   I might say I don't like Country music, but I love some artists that might be put in this category.  I like Folk music, and also love Metal, Classical and Electronic.  That doesn't say anything really, because there are so many styles in each of those categories.[/size]
[size=10pt]It's more meaningful to talk about specific bands, groups and artists, which have a particular 'Style' of playing and who influence others to have a similar sound.[/size]

No, Limp Bizkit is not what I would call metal.  I suppose Heavy Metal evolved from Rock, but is very distinct with its pace, melodic structure and lyrics.
Also Rock is a very broad label, because of its long history, there is Psychedelic Rock, Classic Rock, Modern, etc...
I prefer the Psychedelic Rock from the 60's and 70's to what is done today.  Bands like Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Jimmy Hendricks, Pink Floyd.

What are some good Metal bands?

May 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #174 of 245

Quote:
[size=10pt]I am not sure there is any useful merit in distinguishing specific genres of music.  I have noticed that music evolves and changes by borrowing and mixing sounds from different influences. [/size]
[size=10pt]I listen to Everything and like music from more or less each genre.   I might say I don't like Country music, but I love some artists that might be put in this category.  I like Folk music, and also love Metal, Classical and Electronic.  That doesn't say anything really, because there are so many styles in each of those categories.[/size]
[size=10pt]It's more meaningful to talk about specific bands, groups and artists, which have a particular 'Style' of playing and who influence others to have a similar sound.[/size]

No, Limp Bizkit is not what I would call metal.  I suppose Heavy Metal evolved from Rock, but is very distinct with its pace, melodic structure and lyrics.
Also Rock is a very broad label, because of its long history, there is Psychedelic Rock, Classic Rock, Modern, etc...
I prefer the Psychedelic Rock from the 60's and 70's to what is done today.  Bands like Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Jimmy Hendricks, Pink Floyd.

What are some good Metal bands?

insightful reply master yoda, but if your looking to check out some metal bands i would recommend you start off with some greats from each genre to find out what you like: Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Early Metallica, bolt thrower, death, morbid angel, immortal, burzum, and emperor. i could keep going forever. idk there are so so so many

but on the other hand i really dig those 4 bands you posted, i just picked a copy of axis:bold as love on vinyl the other week and cant stop spinning it, you into the likes of santana or ten years after?

May 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #175 of 245
Back before the Beatles there were a lot of names of musical styles that defined radically different types of music. Now there are a million different names defining subtle variations of the same thing- rock.

May 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #176 of 245
Techno
Dark Techno
Detroit Techno
Berlin Techno
Hard Techno
Dub Techno
Minimal
House
Deep House
Progressive House
Tech House
Electro House
Hard house
Electro
Dubstep
Filthy Dubstep
Intelligent Dubstep
Ambient
Dark Ambient
IDM
Breakbeat
Drum & Bass
Chill Out
Dance
Hard Dance
Trance
Progressive Trance
Goa Trance
Goa
Indie Dance
Disco
Nu-Disco
2 step
Dub
Electronica
Drone
Psybient
Euro House
Darkstep
Glitch

All the electronic music subgenres I can think of. Does it make electronic music any more varied? No. Over-categorizing only adds confusion. And yes, electronic is severely over-categorized.

May 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #177 of 245

Quote:
Techno
Dark Techno
Detroit Techno
Berlin Techno
Hard Techno
Dub Techno
Minimal
House
Deep House
Progressive House
Tech House
Electro House
Hard house
Electro
Dubstep
Filthy Dubstep
Intelligent Dubstep
Ambient
Dark Ambient
IDM
Breakbeat
Drum & Bass
Chill Out
Dance
Hard Dance
Trance
Progressive Trance
Goa Trance
Goa
Indie Dance
Disco
Nu-Disco
2 step
Dub
Electronica
Drone
Psybient
Euro House
Darkstep
Glitch

All the electronic music subgenres I can think of. Does it make electronic music any more varied? No. Over-categorizing only adds confusion. And yes, electronic is severely over-categorized.

You missed Psytrance.

May 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #178 of 245
How can you miss Psytrance?!

GOA Trance, Dark Psytrance, Progressive Psytrance, Melodic...   there are different qualities within each sub-genre.

Thanks broski, I do want to try out more Metal classics.  All I have is Cradle of Filth, Nightwish and Afterforever...love female vocals.

May 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #180 of 245

Quote:
Just if any of you were curious here is a site linking MOST but not all of the sub genres of metal. (I am aware that this site is a little off in how it connects some things)

http://www.mapofmetal.com 

thanks for that link it was very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back