Your favorite headphone and why? for $150 - $250 price range
Jun 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

zachcox

New Head-Fier
So I've recently decided to sell my Beyer dt770 250 ohm cans. That being said, I am also in the market for another. I've definitely had my share of bass in these "bass monsters" and would like something... a little more subtle, but I have no preference to sound signature. Just looking for a different sound than "The Norm". Thank You!!:DPREVIEW

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 32
Well jump on the NEW AND IMPROVED Sennheiser bandwagon and get the HD558/HD598. Nobody's been disappointed by these babies around these parts (i love mine) and they're sweet, neutral, very musical and have one kickass soundstage.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 32
Id say the Beyerdynamic DT440 or Audio Technica AD900.  If you want another closed the Beyerdynamic DT250 would be my choice.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 32
Sennheiser HD598 $175 from J&R   My review says it all. =P The jack of all trades relaxing headphone.

I also really liked the Ultrasone HFI 580 $150 which I used to go around raving about, but never actually bothered to do a review. Of all the headphones in Head-fi, the HFI 580 is the ultimate fun headphone. One of the highest potential for bass impact of nearly any headphone and has a very aggressive energetic sound signature.

Ultrasone PRO 550 was pretty dang spacious and fun sounding too for a bit more than the HFI 580.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 32
Alessandro MS-1i for an energetic and highly engaging sound. Bass isn't subterranean, but it's punchy and well defined. Very good for most genres, not just rock. Used to be one of the first entry level cans recommended around these parts until the M50 craze. Fwiw, I owned both at the same time and the new toy syndrome when I first received the M50 couldn't keep me from reaching for the MS-1i. There are also some lengthy threads dedicated to modding these cans for apparently significant gains if you're into that sort of thing.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 32
I've had several chances to listen to the k701's, and I really loved them. So do the k601 and the k701 have similar sound signatures? Or are they completely different headphones?

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
Alessandro MS-1i for an energetic and highly engaging sound. Bass isn't subterranean, but it's punchy and well defined. Very good for most genres, not just rock. Used to be one of the first entry level cans recommended around these parts until the M50 craze. Fwiw, I owned both at the same time and the new toy syndrome when I first received the M50 couldn't keep me from reaching for the MS-1i. There are also some lengthy threads dedicated to modding these cans for apparently significant gains if you're into that sort of thing.

I have a lot of experience with the ms-1 (from my roommate) but not the improved version, and I quite enjoy them.. Is there much of a difference between the two?

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 32
What kind of music do you listen to?
Common recomendations in this area would be the AD900 or A900 or a Grado if your running unamped
if you have an amp you might as well use it and get a 598, an Ultrasone, Beyer, or a Denon.

I can speak from expieriance on the 598, it is horrible without an amp, I don't know how much it could improve with one, but without it was grainy, boomy, and boring. It had a much better soundstage than my AD900 though. Everything else I've heard sounds congested in comparison.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 32
DT990/250 (can't say I like the 600 more because I've never tried it).  

I bought these for $180 (bloated MSRP is $350 I think) from BHPV.  They have been my main headphone since last August, and will remain so until my HD 650's come later this week.  I don't plan on ever parting with these as they have such a fun frequency response that makes enjoying music very easy through a good tube amp and a nice clear DAC.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
DT990/250 (can't say I like the 600 more because I've never tried it).  

I bought these for $180 (bloated MSRP is $350 I think) from BHPV.  They have been my main headphone since last August, and will remain so until my HD 650's come later this week.  I don't plan on ever parting with these as they have such a fun frequency response that makes enjoying music very easy through a good tube amp and a nice clear DAC.

I was able to listen to the dt990 250's at the last headfi meet I went to. If I were to get another beyer I think I would get the dt880 pro's, because they are a good medium between the 990 and 770, With less bass (but goes just as low) and better mids than 770 an 990. So I still just don't know..

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 32
Another possibility I've been looking in to, is the etymotic er-4p. I think that I'm honestly just done with "uber" bass. I listen to a lot of metal and classic rock mainly. I also am an inspiring DJ (so I listen to electronic music too) and might want something I can mix with better.

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #13 of 32
Here, let me rephrase my question. If you were in my position ( Buying headphone between $150 and $250) which would you buy and why? I have no preference between open, closed, anything in between, and iem's. I guess I'm looking for the most natural headphone possible for my price range. Another factor is I make a lot of music, mainly on cubase 5 and fl studio 9. not looking for grado's because I have listened to pretty much every model from them, out of them I like the sr125 over 225 and 325 or anything below. I would like good bass extention but do not want overpowering bass. I love mids most of all, and the closest to "perfect" I can get the better. Thank You!!!

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 32
Jun 14, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 32

Users who are viewing this thread

Back