Your favorite computer media player?
Dec 28, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by fierce_freak
Thanks for the advice. I found a hotkey plugin on the quinnware site that works.

On sound quality: I like the sound of QCD better for some but less for others. I'll use it as my main player for a week and see what happens.

smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for being open minded.

i'll try anything once but some people refused to have their "pride" hurt by trying something else.

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #33 of 109
QCD 3 > Foobar

not only does it not have any skins. the interface is all handled through the toolbar.

i didn't see any way to tweak the sound at all so to be fair i turned off my eq on QCD. QCD still sounded better. not much but still a warmer sound fuller.

nice player for someone that has a hifi amp to tweak the sound once its out of the computer. or someone trying to be simple.

it uses more resources than QCD but its very negligable 4.3 compared to 5.1 of Foobar.

biggest drawback of this player is customization and the interface.

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #35 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Argyle
thanx maxvla.. quinessential is better than winamp :bigthumb:

your smiley doesn't work over here bud :slap:

:naughty:

Dec 28, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #37 of 109
To me, Coolplayer sounds significantly better than Winamp. Coolplayer has better bass extension, while Winamp has an annoying upper bass hump with less extension (to my ears). Coolplayer seems to be clearer at all levels too.

I pretty much only play .wav files, and I'm not sure what builds I'm running. Probably 2.80a Winamp, no idea about Coolplayer.

My Sony D25S pcdp sounds better than my pc speakers/sound card, so I don't listen to a lot of music with my computer.

Dec 28, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #38 of 109
my personal preference was Winamp 2.8 loaded with MAD decoding at 32 bit + Peter's SSRC out plug.
(not to mention I am more of a Foobar2k person now, but...)

One thing I really have to clarify about using the Dsound or wave out is really dependent on the OS you are running winamp on. The windows 95/98/ME based systems integrally runs on MME and the use of DirectSound on the above systems gets repackaged back to waveout, matter not what you choose. On NT/2k/XP systems, the opposite happens and waveout gets sent to DirectSound. So why bother making winamp do the extra process?

Although MAD only claims to have the ability to output 24 bits of "correctly decoded signal", I find decoding at 32bits to offer a quieter noise floor, and thus increasing the dynamic range. So why not!!

For those of you who shelled out $$$ for expensive studio sound cards, don't bother doing the resampling, but for consumer card users(Yamaha, Aureal, Creative.....) who uses a card that follows Intel's AC'97 codec, it is best to resample to 48khz w/ SSRC. Only with the exception of Audigy 2 which works best when resampled to 96khz. A2 does have a better frequency response at 96khz input since it bypasses the hardware SRC for "accurate" DVD-A playback.

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #39 of 109
I've been using QCD for the past 2 years, and I love it. I don't know how winamp is nowadays for playing full CDs, but QCD played my CDs and my MP3s with a nifty interface, so I have stuck with it, installing it on every system I have had in this time.

For video: WMP 6.4 ... I have 7.x or 8.x installed, but mplayer2.exe is still in the directory, and that's what i have play. It's so elegantly simple. Personally, I don't care about skinning viewing programs. I don't want to skin IE, WMP, or an image viewer.

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #40 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by Maxvla

i didn't see any way to tweak the sound at all so to be fair i turned off my eq on QCD. QCD still sounded better. not much but still a warmer sound fuller.

BWUAHAHAHAHAAAA!!

Some of you guys here are just too funny to believe you're not kidding all the time... but I've learned you're not
LOL
This forum sure has a lot of ignorance around.... warmer and fuller... hah... you crack me up man. LOL

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #41 of 109
in what way MTRH?

Whilst Kazaa MP3s are pretty poor, good quality VBR MP3s can easily equal CD (in terms as 'from the CD-Rom') from your computer...

With that in mind, who is to say that different decoders can't do different things to the music without the need for EQ??

I can tell the difference between WMP8 and WMP9!!

Dec 28, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #42 of 109
Quote:

Originally posted by MTRH
BWUAHAHAHAHAAAA!!

Some of you guys here are just too funny to believe you're not kidding all the time... but I've learned you're not
LOL
This forum sure has a lot of ignorance around.... warmer and fuller... hah... you crack me up man. LOL

who's kidding?

and if you can't tell the difference between a warmer sound and a dead to the world sound you really shouldn't be in the world of hifi headphones as you wouldn't be able to appreciate the differences between a set of radioshack specials and a pair of orpheus'.

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:39 AM Post #43 of 109
foobar2k is a really great program, but it is simply too complicated for most computer users so i wouldn't think that much of anyone on this board would like it. half of the reason why it was made, was to keep it simple and not have skins and all that cheesey crap that nobody needs. it just sits in your taskbar and does its job, and allows built-in use of global keys, and went head-first for quality.

whether it sounds better/worse than your qcd thing, i do not know, for after around ten years of trying different sound programs, i got sick of trying them and being discouraged so i just stick to winamp.. and now foobar.

hope you find the dsp options in foobar someday..

Dec 28, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #44 of 109
I've been using Media Jukebox for years. It's great for organizing your mp3 and other music files. Very powerful database. It allows you to define your own categories for organizing the music. They tend to change the interface somewhat from release to release so it can be a bit confusing at times. All in all a decent program if you want to store lots of music.
Media Jukebox

Dec 29, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #45 of 109
Looks like there aren't very many hardcore avi/ogg watchers in here
wink.gif

For video, I use Zoomplayer. Ok, it's butt ugly, but what we care about is functionality and accessibility, right? If those are your priorities, zoomplayer is the way to go. Zoomplayer Link It has all the aspect ratio controls, volume controls, ff, rw, fastmo, slomo, hotkeys, that you can ask for. Works great with both avi and ogm and dvds, in fact, if you have a mpeg2 filter installed. ffdshow works beautifully with it, but watch out for xvid + ffdshow. That is seriously fubar. (Not a zoomplayer issue)

I use winamp 3 simply because it has some really really small skins that I can keep open always on top and it stays out of the way of all my windows. That way I can always see and control what I'm listening to. I can post a screenie of what I'm talking about if someone wants to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back