Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Mar 14, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #346 of 363
For me it was the hd 650- all phones have a house sound, but i had forgotten the sennheiser signature from years ago- impressive -refined- but uninvolving, considering the price.

The Shure E2c, lousy build quality, flat sound, i only keep them because they offer the best isolation of all my phones.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #347 of 363
Gotta say the Shure E5c.

When I sold my home audio system, and switched to headphone gear, I devoted a large amount of my budget to headphones. After much internet perusing, I finally decided on the Shure's. I found an unopened set on ebay, that I paid $422 (shipped)-US for. I live in Canada; and when UPS arrived with them, I was charged an additional $118-Canadian (about $100-US) for duties, taxes, and brokerage fees. After having spent over $500 for these supposed "tiny, miracle transducers", I expected some killer sound. After a month of breaking them in; I found them uncomfortable, I hated the way the cord transmitted noise just by rubbing on my shirt, and lacking in bass in a big way
frown.gif
!

I sold them at a loss; and bought Grado SR 125's. They blew the Shure's away, and only cost me $150, brand new. I could've had an RS-1 or -2, for the kind of scratch I upped for those E5c's
rolleyes.gif

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #350 of 363
JVC DX-1 and AT AD700. People who say Ety's lack bass should try either of these phones. Getting bass from the DX-1 is like getting water from a stone. Getting more bass from the AD700 isn't as hard but what you end up getting is a dissapointing congested mess. Thankfully not a big dissapointment wallet-wise since they weren't big ticket items.

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #351 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowball_rx-7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after reading this thread I dont think there are 2 people who are exactly the same.
600smile.gif

Or even one person with consistent conclusions
biggrin.gif
(not necessarily limited to people in this thread, but generally speaking)

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #352 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or even one person with consistent conclusions
biggrin.gif
(not necessarily limited to people in this thread, but generally speaking)

You caught me. I think all AKGs are a disappointment.

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #353 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You caught me. I think all AKGs are a disappointment.

Ha! Maybe my hypothesis wasn't so concrete afterall.

Mar 14, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #354 of 363
My biggest disappointment hard to say. Grado SR 80 but I only borrowed it for a week and I didn´t expect to like it... Was no loss except zero enjoyment the while I had it.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #355 of 363
I didn't actually buy these, but the Grado RS-2 was a huge dissapointment, not that they were -bad- but they weren't sufficiently BETTER than my MS-1's. At least not $450AUD better ....

I did like the bowl pads tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #356 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Final result of this topic: All of the headphones in the world are BAD
tongue.gif

Agreed. This is boiling down to another version of that "Most overrated headphone" thread, which was basically "Post here to rant about headphones you don't like".

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #357 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by courierdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta say the Shure E5c... I found an unopened set on ebay, that I paid $422 (shipped)-US for. I live in Canada; and when UPS arrived with them, I was charged an additional $118-Canadian (about $100-US) for duties, taxes, and brokerage fees.

Isn't it unbelieveable? If I order something delivered by Fedex from the States, there are no brokers fees and I almost never pay taxes (such as the Micro DAC that I just got from Headroom). Order from UPS and you get hit with huge brokers fees, and for their money those brokers make damn sure that the package comers to the attention of the authorities and the highest level of border taxes are assessed.

The asnswer to "Your Biggest Headphone Dissapointment?". Anything delivered by UPS.

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #358 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E5c lacking in bass? We must have totally different ears
wink.gif

LOL! In a perfect headphone world, our ears would all be detatchable, exchangeable, and upgradeable!
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I just never dug their sound. Bright, tinny highs, with no bass slam. When I turned my head, they either fell out, or annoyed me as the cord rubbed on my clothes. I tried all the tips too, but I could never get a good, comfortable fit; and the prospect of spending another $300-plus for custom made ear molds didn't appeal to me. To me, they sounded no better than those little white, single earplugs, you used to get in the '70's, with a cheap transistor FM radio.

I dunno...I guess I'm just more of an "over the ear, earspeaker" kinda-guy!
icon10.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #359 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it unbelieveable? If I order something delivered by Fedex from the States, there are no brokers fees and I almost never pay taxes (such as the Micro DAC that I just got from Headroom). Order from UPS and you get hit with huge brokers fees, and for their money those brokers make damn sure that the package comers to the attention of the authorities and the highest level of border taxes are assessed.

The asnswer to "Your Biggest Headphone Dissapointment?". Anything delivered by UPS.

From experience (not only as a courier for an international shipping carrier, but also as a consumer) when it comes to buying anything from the US, and having it shipped to Canada; I find alot depends on the value (if it's worth more than about $200), new or used, and the carrier used.

But yes, UPS DOESseem to ding Canadians with higher tarrifs. A few years before the headphones, I was similarly dinged an outrageous fee for 2-bottles of holistic medicinical pills (I paid $29.95-US for them (plus about $5.00 for shipping), and an additional $42-Cdn to UPS in customs/duties/brokerage fees. I think I ended up paying about $110-Cdn. for what was supposed to be a "good deal". I prefer USPS, myself for inbound stuff. I rarely pay anything, and when I do, its usually just GST.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #360 of 363
Of course I already heard worst cans.

But for a price lower than 15€.

Sony costs 171€!!!!

Sennheiser HD 201 costs 21€!!!!
(My appologises to Sennheiser. It doesn't deserve to be compared to this Sony model)

Rui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back