Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Dec 3, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #302 of 363
Any Grado with the perferated platic back. The wire backed ones have a much less conjested sound to though it has been a few years since owning them. I stopped buying them when they went to the perferated plastic back. At one time the 125s were wire backed but now you have to go up to the 225s to get Grados that are wire backed.

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #304 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I have bought headphones that were a big disappointment. I had expected better. My biggest disappointment until now was Sennheiser PX200. How could Sennheiser produce headphones nearly [size=medium]totally clean from bass[/size]?
What is your biggest disappointment of headphones?

Georg

Porta Pros by Koss.

IMO PX200 have a very even response - what you are experiencing is a lack of humped up bloated bass - get Porta Pros instead.

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:37 AM Post #305 of 363
I changed my mind: my biggest HP disappointment are not the PX200's anymore, because I bought AKG K81DJ's and they are FAR worse than PX200's

Even after burn-in, foam removal, etc, they are so damn bass heavy and bass bloated that I can't listen to them more than 10 minutes before i feel nauseated.
Overwhelming boomy, loose, uncontrolled, atonal bass everywhere, bloating everything, recessed mids, and undetailed highs.

At least the PX200's had a sort of balance in their sound sig.
The K81's are so unbalanced that I call them "skull subwoofers"
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #306 of 363
Grado SR125 - Decent at low volumes only, piercing and painful at satisfying listening levels. There's something wrong with those headphones, Mr. Grado.

AKG K271S - Neutral studio monitoring headphones? Bwahahahah!!! Where's the bass? There ISN'T ANY!!!! And they're not even as smooth and nice in the midrange and treble as everyone claims, so what's the point in these? I think the K240S, at a fraction of the price, is a much nicer headphone all around. They're not the be all and end all in competent headphones, but at their price point, they DO EVERYTHING RIGHT (I'm not getting the bloated bass everyone else is...). Gee, tonal balance is important? Get outta here!!!

Beyerdynamic DT770 - Why do these exist? The DT250-250's are excellent, and these are garbage! Seriously. Why?

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #307 of 363
Koss35 - Hurt my ears like hell. Never got a good fit.
HD-500 - Muddy central. Paid 150USD, sounded like 5
Bose IE - The mud never went away
AT clip-ons - No lower end at all. But looks sooooo good!
AT metalic earbuds - Vastly overpriced. Way to heavy = bad fit
E3C - never sounded good to me. No highs.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #308 of 363
Grado GS1000. My ears started ringing about 15 seconds after I started listening to them, and they hurt for almost an hour after that
frown.gif

Sony MDR-SA5000. Nonexistent low end.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #309 of 363
My favorite "Trip Hop' thru my unamped 501s out of the headphone out of the ipod sounds nothing like it does in my car setup or the clubs.

/weird really
blink.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #310 of 363
1-Etys ER-4P: No bass, Clinical, sterile, analytical, no emotion and expensive.
2-AKG K 701: I really like how they look but unfortunately the music sounded distant and a little lifeless to me. I believe there wasn’t synergy with my system (DAC1 – HR-2).
3-Shure E3C: little bass, harsh… I actually prefer the E2C over the E3C.

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #311 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado GS1000. My ears started ringing about 15 seconds after I started listening to them, and they hurt for almost an hour after that
frown.gif

Sony MDR-SA5000. Nonexistent low end.

Those phones are meant for low level listening
how loud did you crank them?

I find most people listen to music way too loud.
I cant even go to the movies because i think the sound levels are insane.

NO DISSAPOINTMENTS HERE SO FAR.
MAYBEE BECAUSE IVE HAD SENN HD600S FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #314 of 363
The biggest disappointment i have ever had was a set of Senn HD 500s. It's hard to discribe just how horrible the things sounded. It was like having a boombox on your head with the bass boost going full tilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back