Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Mar 17, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #61 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Of the headphones that I have purchased, I would have to say the Grado SR-225's, probably because of the hype surrounding these. Really hated the poor build quality & materials. Also disliked the lack of bass & the piercing highs.

My biggest disappointment from a headphone I have not purchased is from the much discussed Sony Qualias 010. A disappointment in almost every way.

- augustwest

no bass? , grado has bass nice enough for me, drum hitting bass , light yet impactful. but no good for billie jean kind of bassline

piercing highs? yep in some type of music : Jpop when ayumi scream like nobody's business.

however of all the shortcoming sr225 has, sennheiser still can't win my heart, only akg 501

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #62 of 363
Sennheiser HD212 Pro - Bass response was way over the top, along with a recessed midrange, blah. Not to mention that the earpads were way too small and put way too much pressure on my ears.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #63 of 363
I guess i'm lucky as I haven't been disapointed by any of my headphones.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #65 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
high end grados: rs-1s, ms-pros, joe grado bass monster. whats with the weird bass/midrange colorations?
w2002s...not bad, but way overhyped.

not as overhyped as the r-10's you tried at the Vancouver meet
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #66 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
not as overhyped as the r-10's you tried at the Vancouver meet
wink.gif

Yep, I'd have to put R-10's (expected a lot) and A900's (expected something close to decent) as the biggest dissapointments I've heard...

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #67 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Yep, I'd have to put R-10's (expected a lot) and A900's (expected something close to decent) as the biggest dissapointments I've heard...

confused.gif
the r-10s sounded very good to my ears. clearest treble and midrange i have ever tried, with fantastic soundstage and imaging...
yea i know they suck at bass...

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #68 of 363
Quote:

confused.gif
the r-10s sounded very good to my ears. clearest treble and midrange i have ever tried, with fantastic soundstage and imaging...
yea i know they suck at bass...

suppose you could EQ them I suppose.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #69 of 363
I have no expectations of any equipment as I do not like 95% of them. No reasons to set myself up for disappointment. I can appreciate the pros and acknowledge the cons. But the two headphones which I could never "last" with are Ultrasone Edition 7 and Alessandro MS2.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #70 of 363
r-10s don't go well with any amp or source thats dry/clean/lean IMO. the benchmark -> nordost -> bicode -> r-10s setup back in the seattle meet was crystal clear but emotionally uninvolving. i guess something like apogee -> cardas -> bicode/dynahi -> r-10 would be better.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #71 of 363
Quote:

r-10s don't go well with any amp or source thats dry/clean/lean IMO. the benchmark -> nordost -> bicode -> r-10s setup back in the seattle meet was crystal clear but emotionally uninvolving. i guess something like apogee -> cardas -> bicode/dynahi -> r-10 would be better.

I think something like the cardas+EMP might help. For me it comes across as highs are a bit forward (or too much detail???) THe cardas+emp would curb these traits. I could handle the low bass impact I suppose, but the highs are too much for me.

I am probaly just too use to the Grado sound so i will never get use to the R-10's.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #72 of 363
Quote:

I think something like the cardas+EMP might help. For me it comes across as highs are a bit forward (or too much detail???) THe cardas+emp would curb these traits. I could handle the low bass impact I suppose, but the highs are too much for me.

I am probaly just too use to the Grado sound so i will never get use to the R-10's.

so nordosts are pretty strong at treble right? i might pick up a pair of quattro fils in this month.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #73 of 363
Quote:

so nordosts are pretty strong at treble right? i might pick up a pair of quattro fils in this month.

Nordost are usually focused on transparency, pace and detail. Spm reference is slightly on the bright side. It's not worth going above the spm reference to be honest. The Valhalla is the best I have got but point of diminishing returns already start kicking in at SPM reference level.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #74 of 363
Quote:

Nordost are usually focused on transparency, pace and detail. Spm reference is slightly on the bright side. It's not worth going above the spm reference to be honest. The Valhalla is the best I have got but point of diminishing returns already start kicking in at SPM reference level.

ok thanks...i will look around then.

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #75 of 363
My three biggest disappointments are the Sony MDR-V600 (Blurgh!) and MDR-V700DJ (Ouch!), and the Sennheiser HD590, for reasons which I have discussed way too many times in the past (and I don't want to state them any further).

On the other hand, none of the headphones that I currently own have satisfied me 100%; they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
After owning the 7509 and liking them a lot, I came here on Head-Fi and lots of people (including EagleDriver...) started to say the 7509 was a sh**ty pair of cans, that it was the same as the V900 which is a piece of crap, that it sounded congested...etc...blah blah..

Oh, yes, Philco, you mentioned the Sony MDR-7509 (aka Sony MDR-V900). Well, I found that 'phone just okay at best - certainly not nearly as poopy as you thought I said. That said, I still listen to that 'phone occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back