Your audio gear backlog
Aug 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Lurkumaural

1000+ Head-Fier
On another website I frequent, members were sharing their music backlog, i.e. which albums they were going to purchase next.  It made me wonder what items people here on head-fi are making concrete plans to purchase.  Your "grocery list" for audio gear, as it were.

For example, I plan on purchasing (perhaps in chronological order):

AKG Q701BLK  -- ON MY HEAD!!
k701smile.gif

Fostex T50RP -- ordered.  see you next week!
Audeze LCD-2

I excluded from my list stuff that I am thinking about buying at some unforeseeable point but do not know for sure, like Pro 900, K1000, SRH940, Ming Da MC84C07, E9/E15, D12.

What's your backlog?  How close are you to purchasing?

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 12
Wow, one reply.

I came back to edit OP because I now have one item left on my backlog.  Yup, an LCD-2 and my lust-driven must-haves are done!

It may not come very soon because there will vanity buys and impulse buys (T20 v2 ahem) along the way, and I now need a better amp.  Hopefully I don't go down the familiar 701 owners' path of >$500 amplifier rolling.  Oh my poor wallet, the short backlog was for your own good.

So... no one else wants to share their list?

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 12
I am aspiring to upgrade to a top tier balanced tube amp. A likely candidate is Eddie Current BA or perhaps a WA22.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Oh, about ten amps I have in parts, some partially finished. Casework is the hangup. I was goin to drop them into commercial cases, but am going for custom ones. That's held up by the workshop, which I have. But it is filled with furniture that is going to go into the house which is torn down to the studs inside. That's waiting for the completion of three apartments. It was just two apartments, but one long-time tenant died :)(, he was a good man and I loved chatting with him) and we have to gut that place. So... maybe early 2012?

A little frustrating, since I have a shop, parts, casing materials, all the tools, the ability and desire, and time to build. It will happen, I just don't know when. First up are an Ultrapath preamp, 417A SESS headphone amp and the Gilmore All-Triode electrostat amp. I'll case up the Dynamid quickly, too. And much else.

Then there's a Pass Labs D1 DAC that needs a power supply and casing. There are most of the parts for a Rega Planar 3, too, but I'm thinking about getting a big piece of aluminum and making a custom turntable, and the ESL-63s need to be torn down and completely rebuilt.

Also need to build cases for a pair of Linkwitz Orion3 speakers. I have everything else, even the amps.

Finally, I have about 30 1 1/2" x 24" aluminum extrusions. Those need to be cut up and used with shelves to create a rack capable of holding all the gear. But that's a way off. I have to build everything first and then figure out how to best design shelving to hold everything.

The Ultimate Dream Fantasy setup is within reach. Maybe it'll be done in a year. On the other hand, I thought the same thing last year. :) But it is getting closer. :)

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 12
KGSSHV + testing the KG digital attenuator.
KGSSHV 500V version.
Blue Hawaii, mainly because I want pretty tubes glowing, and because it's the bestest name for an amplifier ever.
DIY T2 'Budget' with the KGDA, mainly because I'm crazy.
SR-009, I need to see what all the fuss is about.

Merry Staxxmas to me, I can't wait until the Christmas holidays. I am not looking forward to the casework.....

After all that, I think I'm done.......
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 12
I have an AMB y2 which I really should finish!

I'm seriously considering getting into vinyl and I've been weighing up whether to buy a Rega RP3 and phono stage for the last couple of months.

I've also been looking into Harbeth loud speakers and an appropriate integrated or power and pre amp pairing, but these items belong on a wish list at the moment.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm only waiting to get my hands on my Cyrus 2 + PSX amp.  I left it in KC when my wife and I moved to C-bad, took it to the shop while back on a visit, and had my daughter pick it up when it was done. October first is the target date, and I am going to have an amp shootout between it and my very good Arcam Delta 60.  The Cyrus has the headphone jack in the back (facing UP!) and I think that's extreme ergonomics, even for the British.

I also hope to grab my spare EPI goldring tweeters, as I have a pair of Fishers here in C-bad that need tweets.  My KP-500 is on the list too - I'm going to try applying car technology to home audio (again).

Other than that, nothing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back